The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The…

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle (original 1991; edition 2007)

by L. J. Smith

Member:moppety
Title:The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle
Authors:L. J. Smith
Info:HarperTeen (2007), Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:No longer owned
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Omnibus, Paranormal Romance, Young Adult, Vampires

The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (1991)

English (78)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
When I started reading The Awakening, I almost threw the damn book right across the room. I think if I hadn't already been invested via the TV show (and don't actually throw books, they might break 0.0), I would have, so word to the wise: Don't expect book Elena to be anything like show Elena. At all.

Elena was really that annoying in the beginning, so fair warning. She's the blonde beauty, the ice princess, the Queen Bee and knows it, and when she meets Stephan, who is trying to outrun his past and find his humanity, her resolution to get him has nothing to do with love initially: she's just pissed that a guy is not showing interest in her.

Yuck, right?

Luckily, it improves dramatically. Through the course of the first book, Elena changes her attitude drastically, which meant I finally got to relax and enjoy the story. So, the plot is nothing new, except for the bizarre bit with Katherine looking exactly like Elena, and I quite enjoyed the deviation from the TV series in that Stephan spends most of the first book wondering if it was him killing those people after all. Good times.

I've always been a sucker for ye olde siblinge rivalry, so I enjoyed the story arc with Damian and Stephan's relationship immensely. I also appreciated the way they were total polar opposites - though sometimes the author intrudes grossly to point out just how different they really are.

I think one of the real saving graces of the series, for me, was Meredith and to a lesser degree, Bonny. They are so much fun and very well-rounded and real. They made me giggle at inappropriate times and often provide Elena with opportunities to redeem herself.

All in all, fun to read and enjoyable, though not exactly what you'd call breakthrough or original. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
Tried this series after Twilight and was disappointed to have wasted my time. After Edward and Bella, this cannot compete!!! Geared more to teens IMO. Unlike Twilight, also geared toward teens & young adult, but written in a manner that doesn't limit itself to that audience, Vampire Diaries DOES limit itself to the teenage reader. If your curiosity requres you to read this series, borrow the books rather than purchasing... these will not be a reread! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
The only series that was so bad I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing. ( )
  Ahnya | Feb 12, 2015 |
I quite enjoyed this book. Elena was annoying, yes, but most teenage girls are. I really liked Stefan; he seemed to be a very interesting character, although - and this is the same question I had about Twilight - why do apparently discerning, intelligent, and sensitive men who have seen years of life suddenly fall in love with annoying high school girls?

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Awakening - 1 out of 5
The Struggle - 3 out of 5

The first novel in this collection was a huge disappointment to me. There was little by way of story as it almost exclusively focused on Elena trying to woo Stephan. Elena was also immediately dislikeable, being introduced as a girl obsessed with popularity who viewed men as accessories purely there for her pleasure. The novel also ended with a very abrupt cliff-hanger, breaking off the story with no degree of closure at all. In this book, I really did not care who lived or died and I only continued reading because the second instalment was included in the collection.

The Struggle was thankfully a marked improvement. Its plot was a lot stronger (although still ended in a cliff-hanger) and characters were given a lot more room to develop. Thankfully, Elena had also been given a personality overhaul. Although it was strange that her character was utterly different, I did not mind so much as I was just grateful that I no longer had to sit through more passages in which she cried because boys ignored her.

Due to the improvement in the second novel, I have been left curious enough to read more of the series. I just hope that it doesn't disappoint me. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
To my dear friend and sister Judy

A special thanks to Anne Smith, Peggy Bokulic, Anne Marie Smith, and Laura Penny for information about Virginia, and to Jack and Sue Check for all their local lore.
Dear Diary, [crossed out] Something awful is going to happen today.

Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.

Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her.

Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006114097X, Paperback)

Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

Presents the first two volumes in the Vampire Diaries series, in which popular and beautiful high school senior Elena finds herself torn between two vampire brothers, the dark and brooding Stefan who wants to protect her from the horrors of his past and the dangerously attractive Damon, who is determined to use her to get revenge on his brother.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,244,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible