The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The…

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle (original 1991; edition 2007)

by L. J. Smith

Member:moppety
Title:The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle
Authors:L. J. Smith
Info:HarperTeen (2007), Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:No longer owned
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Omnibus, Paranormal Romance, Young Adult, Vampires

The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (1991)

English (74)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
The Awakening - 1 out of 5
The Struggle - 3 out of 5

The first novel in this collection was a huge disappointment to me. There was little by way of story as it almost exclusively focused on Elena trying to woo Stephan. Elena was also immediately dislikeable, being introduced as a girl obsessed with popularity who viewed men as accessories purely there for her pleasure. The novel also ended with a very abrupt cliff-hanger, breaking off the story with no degree of closure at all. In this book, I really did not care who lived or died and I only continued reading because the second instalment was included in the collection.

The Struggle was thankfully a marked improvement. Its plot was a lot stronger (although still ended in a cliff-hanger) and characters were given a lot more room to develop. Thankfully, Elena had also been given a personality overhaul. Although it was strange that her character was utterly different, I did not mind so much as I was just grateful that I no longer had to sit through more passages in which she cried because boys ignored her.

Due to the improvement in the second novel, I have been left curious enough to read more of the series. I just hope that it doesn't disappoint me. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
It wasn't bad but the TV series is better, and being brutally honest the TV series is fluff.

Elena in this is the girl with everything, Blonde, wealthy, popular; but there's one thing she wants, the new student, Stefan Salvatore. So she pursues him resentlessly, while he tries to avoid her, even though the only reason he's really there is for her.

Yes, he's a vampire and he's attracted to her and when his brother Damon turns up to get his revenge on him, again, he has to protect Elena from him and try to keep too many people from dying, unsure if he's one of the major reasons people are dying, he's been losing his memory.

You can see where some of the concepts for the show came, they did a good job of changing a lot of it to make it better. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 21, 2014 |
Was so pleased that these were re-released not long before the series started. I originally read these in junior high and fell in love. Elena is the perfect bitch but I found her impossible not to like (so many heroines in YA books at the time were outcasts). Stefan is fairly vanilla but nonetheless enigmatic. Damons is ... Damon, a perfect bad boy who doesn't lose his nerve when it comes to being bad.

Of the two books The Struggle is my favourite because they pit brother versus brother. Great fun to read the first time around and just as fun to read the second time (and probably third and fourth times.) ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
I absolutely love all of the vampire diaries books. The Vampire Diaries is the best vampire series out there. I love the characters of Stefan and Damon. Elena is a little selfish, snotty and a brat for my taste. I really love Bonnie's character and how she is a witch that is descended from the druids. I also love the character of Meredith and how she is seen as the mother of the group. She is very calm in the face of danger and some how knows what to do. For some reason, the tv series excluded Meredith's character which is a shame since she is such an integral part of the story line and would have made the tv show better. I think in the TV show they tried to make Caroline's character like Meredith because in the books she is mean and conniving which is not how she is in the tv series.

By the way the books are way way way better than the TV show, in my opinion. The things that occur in the TV show do NOT happen in the books. Yes the character names are the same and whether they are human, vampire or werewolf are the same but the way the character in the TV show acts is completely different from the character in the book. The tv show is not really based on the books at all and its a shame because the books are really good. I recommend this series to everyone especially the people who watch the TV show because while the TV show is good and one of my favorites, the books offer so much more to the world of Elena, Damon and Stefan. The differences are astounding. ( )
  spantalian12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
I must admit. At first I kind of hated what I was reading. The characters were bitchy and one dimensional and I wanted to take Elena and give her a good hard shake. What a selfish brat!

In fact. I sort of hated them all, even, perhaps in particular, Stefan and Damon. It probably didn't help that they were going into Twilight territory half-way through *eyeroll* but toward the end I found myself enjoying it.

It is very different to the tv show that is based on these, something I am glad for. I think the show's writing and characters (which aren't the same as the novels) are so much better than the books themselves; and I'm glad they changed so much.

But as a standalone the first two books aren't so bad, once you get past the grating characters. I still don't really like any of them (aside from Matt) and they don't seem to have motives for anything that they do. The dialogue is...at times quite awful, and the writing isn't all that great. But it is ridiculous fun.

I will keep reading the series. But I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
To my dear friend and sister Judy

A special thanks to Anne Smith, Peggy Bokulic, Anne Marie Smith, and Laura Penny for information about Virginia, and to Jack and Sue Check for all their local lore.
Dear Diary, [crossed out] Something awful is going to happen today.

Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.

Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her.

Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006114097X, Paperback)

Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

Presents the first two volumes in the Vampire Diaries series, in which popular and beautiful high school senior Elena finds herself torn between two vampire brothers, the dark and brooding Stefan who wants to protect her from the horrors of his past and the dangerously attractive Damon, who is determined to use her to get revenge on his brother.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,464,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible