Play Dirty by Sandra Brown

Play Dirty (2007)

by Sandra Brown

good mystery Ex Con — Football Player
rich couple want child!

After five long years in federal prison, Griff Burkett is a free man. But the disgraced Cowboys quarterback can never return to life as he knew it before he was caught cheating. In a place where football is practically a religion, Griff committed a cardinal sin, and no one is forgiving.

Foster Speakman, owner and CEO of SunSouth Airlines, and his wife, Laura, are a golden couple. Successful and wealthy, they lived a charmed life before fate cruelly intervened and denied them the one thing they wanted most -- a child. It's said that money can't buy everything. But it can buy a disgraced football player fresh out of prison and out of prospects.
  christinejoseph | Apr 2, 2017 |
Probably should've rated this one 2 stars as I had several issues with the characters, but I thought the mystery aspects were intriguing...as usual...and the suspense carried me through the book. I can't say I really cared for any of the characters though. I wanted to like Griff, but I just couldn't get past his poor decisions. He was a walking study in moral conflict. One minute he's paying a visit to a prostitute and the next he's having ice cream with his (only) sorta-friend's son and acting as a role model for a youth football team. I'm not a fan of cheating between spouses either, even if it is so-called "consensual" or for a "higher" purpose. Laura just came across as flat and sad.

Not going on my favorites list, but I'm still a huge fan of Sandra Brown work. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I chose this book because I wanted to try one of Sandra Brown's mysteries. I didn't much like the beginning, but hoped it would get better - and it definitely did! I couldn't stand the main character, Griff Burkett, a former NFL star just out of 5 years in prison for betting and throwing a game - I don't think anyone would like him at that point. Certainly no one in the novel does. But the book goes on to have one of the most intriguing plots I've come across in a mystery (and I read so many mysteries, it's hard to find a fresh and different plot!), some very interesting characters, shocking twists, a most unlikely and oddly moving love story. It ended up being a great story on taking chances, on redemption, and on relationships. I think I probably liked the book the better for it's being on CD's than if I had read it. The narrator Victor Slezak does a terrific job. I ended up really enjoying this book. Will have to look into some more Sandra Browns. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Nov 8, 2015 |
Cheesy, but a guilty pleasure kind of read. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
Play Dirty by Sandra Brown
Griff was back from prison, he had thrown a football game that he played in for the mob.
Story also follows a couple who wants to pay him to impregnate his wife so they can have a child.
Once he's back in society others from his past find him and that puts his work in jeopardy and in harms way.
He goes back to reconnect with the coach and his wife who had rescued him when his mother left him when he was a teen. They had moved him into their house and treated him like their son.
Author describes scenes and feelings to make you feel like you are there yourself. Story entwines with others he's resumed contact with. Problem is those who want him to be stopped and taking it out on them.
Liked to hear of the couples airline company among others as they redo the whole thing from the bottom up.
Tense scenes as the detective has a vendetta against Griff and wants to see him on death row... Sex scenes.
  jbarr5 | Jun 12, 2015 |

Brown, Sandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buil, Ana MataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mata Buil, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slezak, VictorReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"That it?"

Accused of murder, convicted of throwing a game for the mob, former Dallas Cowboys superstar Griff Burkett spent five years in federal prison. Now a free man, the fallen quarterback has no prospects-and worse, no forgiveness-in football-crazy Texas. But there is someone willing to pay millions for Griff's services-airline CEO Foster Speakman and his wife, Laura. It's a provocative and lucrative job offer Griff can't refuse, demanding only his absolute secrecy. But in this high-stakes game, Griff finds himself falling in love with Laura Speakman and racing to protect them both from a ruthless nemesis from his past.

#1 New York Times bestselling author Sandra Brown is back with a gripping story of obsession and its deadly consequences.

The job Griff agrees to do for the Speakmans demands secrecy. But he soon finds himself once again in the spotlight of suspicion. An unsolved murder comes back to haunt him in the form of his nemesis, Stanley Rodarte, who has made Griff's destruction his life's mission. While safeguarding his new enterprise, Griff must also protect those around him, especially Laura Speakman, from Rodarte's ruthlessness. Griff stands to gain the highest payoff he could ever imagine, but cashing in on it will require him to forfeit his only chance for redemption...and love.

Play Dirty is Sandra Brown's wildest ride yet, with hairpin turns of plot all along the way. The clock is ticking down on a fallen football star, who lost everything because of the way he played the game. Now his future -- his life -- hinges on one last play.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

"After five long years in federal prison, Griff Burkett is a free man. But the disgraced Cowboys quarterback can never return to life as he knew it before he was caught cheating. In a placewhere football is practically a religion, Griff committed a cardinal sin, and no one is forgiving." "Foster Speakman, owner and CEO of SunSouth Airlines, and his wife, Laura, are a golden couple. Successful and wealthy, they lived a charmed life before fate cruelly intervened and denied them the one thing they wanted most - a child. It's said that money can't buy everything. But it can buy a disgraced football player fresh out of prison and out of prospects.""The job Griff agrees to do for the Speakmans demands secrecy. But he soon finds himself once again in the spotlight of suspicion. An unsolved murder comes back to haunt him in the form of his nemesis, Stanley Rodarte, who has made Griffs destruction his life's mission. While safeguarding his new enterprise, Griffmust also protect those around him, especially Laura Speakman, from Rodarte's ruthlessness. Griff stands to gain the highest payoff he could ever imagine, but cashing in on it will require him to forfeit his only chance for redemption ... and love. Griff is now playing a high-stakes game, and at the final whistle, one player will be dead."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Sandra Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,641,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible