Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery…

Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery Romance) (edition 2007)

by Leslie Langtry

Member:barb302
Title:Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery Romance)
Authors:Leslie Langtry
Info:Leisure Books (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Rating:***

Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery Romance) by Leslie Langtry

Recently added byLunytoucan, destinyisntfree, SarcasmQueen, private library, UM3050, DivaColumbus, skirret

Funny and awesome ( )
  SarcasmQueen | Feb 24, 2015 |
There's a scene in this book in which the heroine is so awestruck by the handsome man who sits down at her Borders coffee-corner table that she ends up sprinkling salt in her latte.

That scene could serve as a metaphor for the entire book, which is an astonishing and unlikely mix of funny, fast-paced, chick-lit set against a totally off-the-wall background that could have come directly from a superhero comic.

Ginny Bombay is a widowed mother of a cute daughter. She's also a member of a family that has specialised in assassination for thousands of years, each child being initiated at the age of five, trained in the lethal arts, and obliged to make their first hit at fifteen.

Two story lines intertwine: Ginny's infatuation with Diego, the professional bodyguard she met in Borders, and her involvement with her family affairs. The two story lines come together and sour Ginny's relationship with Diego, but all ends well.

The ancient family of secret assassins provided both tension and comedy, but despite a total suspension of disbelief, one story element was too much to swallow. For a professional assassin who takes meticulous care in all her hits, and is aware of the penalty of prompt execution for any infringement of the family code, Ginny immediately blabs top-secret information to her sister and then to most of her relatives, presumably putting all of them at risk of sudden death.

This incongruity dropped my rating from five to four. Otherwise [b:'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy|1147617|'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Bombay Assassins, #1)|Leslie Langtry|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181403003s/1147617.jpg|1135077] is a marvellous tongue-in-cheek romp with a delightfully ebullient middle-aged protagonist.

Interesting that Ms Langtry (like several other authors) chose a title that puns on the mondegreen version of Jimi Hendrix's lyric, not the original. But then once the mondegreen went viral, even Jimi began to sing the incorrect version—I saw him do so live, which just goes to show my age. (So what's wrong with being a geriatric hippy, huh?) ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
We all read different kinds of books depending on mood, school, time of day, etc. Sometimes something light is required. This series fits the bill.

Virginia (all the family members are named after cities or geographic locations) is a member of the Bombay family whose tradition and business is they are assassins. All independently wealthy thanks to the family trust fund, each receives assignments from the "Council" made up of senior family members. Part of the family reunions, normally held every five years is to eliminate someone in the family who has failed some assignment and to initiate children just turning five into their new responsibilities. Each member develops a specialty: " Poison was my specialty. Everyone in the family had a favorite way of killing people, even though we were required to cross-train. With my brother, it was asphyxiation and/or strangulation. And while I should probably worry about that, it made us a good team because we both liked to make each job resemble death by natural cause. Of course, occasionally we ran out of time and had to leave the scene of the crime with a plastic bag still on the victim’s head, but that happened only once when I’d been running late from picking up Romi from preschool." Held on their own private island, they have to go inside buildings every day at 4 p.m. to avoid passing satellite surveillance. This invitation is unusual in that it comes just one year after the last. Refusing is not an option.

"As I stroked the creamy vellum paper, for a brief moment I thought about sending my regrets. But only for a moment. After all, it wasn’t an option on the R.S.V.P. card. Unlike most family reunions with sack races, bad weather and crappy T-shirts, where to refuse to go only meant you weren’t in the ridiculous all-family photo, to turn down this invitation was death. That’s right. Death. Any blooded member of the family who didn’t show was terminated. Now, where had I put that goddamned pen?"

It appears a mole has wormed his way into the family, it's a male member of the family is all that's known and Virginia has been assigned the task of eliminating the threat. Things get complicated when she falls in love with a bodyguard for a man she has been assigned to take out. But enough plot. Just plain fun. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Leslie Langtry's dastardly plan worked. I bought this book on a free day and now I will be shelling out some real dollars to buy more of her books.

It moved at a fast clip, which I liked. The main character's internal dialogue is hilarious. Except for being part of a family of assassins, she's very much an ordinary modern woman. She's loves junk food, has put on weight, deals with overbearing PTA moms and annoying relatives. On the side, she's a cold-blooded killer, but I rooted for her anyway.

There were parts of the novel I found implausible though. She invites a guy to live with her and her five-year-old daughter when she hardly knows him. A meticulous and paranoid assassin would be more careful than that. Also, after a lifetime of guarding the family secret, she reveals everything to him in a short period of time. Despite its shortfalls, I found this story so gosh darn entertaining I'm giving it 5 stars anyway. ( )
  CDVerhoff | Aug 26, 2013 |
Perfect beach reading. Light, fluffy, "romantic" in that predictable way. It ended weakly, but I'd still give the rest of the series a chance. ( )
  yonitdm | Jul 2, 2012 |
"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero."
-Chuck Palahniuk, *Fight Club*
To Tom, my hero-
Thank you for making this possible.
To Mom-
Thank you for making *me* possible.
No one really liked family reunions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843959339, Mass Market Paperback)

YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR FAMILY...
Death by Chocolate is her favorite dessert. And those knitting needles aren't just for craft projects. To most people, Gin Bombay is an ordinary single mom. Then again, they don't know she's from a family of top secret assassins. Somewhere between leading a Girl Scout troop for her kindergartner--would nooses count for a knot badge?--and keeping their puppy from destroying the furniture, Gin now has to take out a new target.

BUT YOU CAN PICK THEM OFF
Except this target has an incredibly hot Australian bodyguard who knows just how to make her weak in the knees. But with a mole threatening to expose everything, Gin doesn't have much time to let her hormones do the happy dance. She's got to find the leak and clear her assignment...or she'll end up next on the Bombay family hit list.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:49 -0400)

Gin Bombay is your average soccer mom/assassin. Between housetraining the puppy, starting a girl scout troop and garroting terrorists, she has a full plate. Now the Bombay Family Council wants her to root out a mole who is endangering the family business (which is assassination), and she's met a hunky Austrailian bodyguard who might be the "one."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible