Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee…

Interred with Their Bones (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Member:sanchef
Title:Interred with Their Bones
Authors:Jennifer Lee Carrell
Info:Dutton (2007), Edition: 1st Edition: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:***

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (2007)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Scholarly heroines, mysterious goings on, and much time spent in libraries...
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (KayCliff)
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Literary thrillers in a similar vein - The Intelligencer is a dual timeline plot surrounding Christopher Marlowe's spy activities; Interred with Their Bones is about the search for a lost Shakespeare manuscript (and the author's identity) while the main character is being chased by a murderer reenacting Shakespeare's death scenes. Both are fun action-packed thrillers.… (more)
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (KayCliff)
    A Rich Full Death by Michael Dibdin (KayCliff)

English (73)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (79)
Originally published at http://rubys-books.blogspot.com/2011/10/book-review-shakespeare-secret-by.html

Two years ago I was browsing my favorite bookshop in Italy in search for something fun to read on the plane on my way back home. I was a very happy camper that the bookshop had a special floor just for books in English, so I just HAD to buy at least one book. I saw the cover, which I absolutely loved, and the blurb convinced me that this might be a good book. I was wrong. It's an amazing book.

The book starts with the scene of the original Globe Theater burning on June 29, 1613. That prologue left me with so many questions, I felt I had to read the rest of the book, to at least find some answers. In the present day, we meet Kate Stanley and her former teacher and mentor, Rosalind "Roz" Howard. Fast forward a few hours, and Roz is dead, the Globe Theater is again on fire and Kate is followed by a killer. The only link between these events is Shakespeare.

I won't go into details, for fear of giving something away. I can tell you what I liked about the book, though. First of all, I liked the way Ms Carrell managed to throw little scenes from the past, adding even more mystery to the book. I can't comment on their accuracy, but the small details, the little hints and the cliffhangers, everything was perfect about them, from my point of view.

I loved Ben. Ben is a man hired to protect Kate if she starts searching for the truth behind the gift that Roz gave her on the night she died. I don't think there's anything lacking about him. He's British, he's smart, he reads, he helps Kate get out of dangerous situations, he's very intuitive. Even though he lacks deep knowledge about Shakespeare, Ben manages to keep up with Kate's thinking, with their search and he even points out some things that maybe Kate missed.

I also loved the fact that I didn't get to figure out who the killer is until the very end. I don't know about the others who've read the book, but I totally didn't expect the killer to be who it turned out to be. And I loved that, because I couldn't figure out the killer's motives. I mean, he had more than one chance to kill Kate, and yet he doesn't. Why? What does Kate have, that Roz didn't?

Then come the details about Shakespeare's work and about the mystery surrounding the real William Shakespeare. The details are many and you can see the author did her research very well. I didn't mind them, though for someone not interested in knowing more about the Bard, they can be a little difficult to get past and a little "too much" history. They did get a bit too in depth at some time, but I believe those details helped combine the real, non-fiction mystery behind the Bard, and the mystery from the book.

I loved the book the first time I read it, and I love it even more now, while I'm rereading. It doesn't feel boring or less thrilling on the second read. Even though I know the story and I know who the killer is, I still can't figure out if there was a point where I could be able to say "Here is the hint that the killer is who he is". Of course, now that I'm rereading it, I can manage paying more attention to the historical details about Shakespeare and the attempts many historians and scholars have made to uncover who the Bard really was.

I was extremely happy when I heard there was a sequel and I read on Ms. Carrell's website that she plans on writing more stories about Kate and Shakespeare. I'm only hoping we'll get a new book about them sooner rather than later. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Thriller, serial killer, Shakespeare, mystery.
  harriscountypl | Jun 27, 2016 |
2.5★s. Read as part of a group discussion on Shelfari, unfortunately it sank like a stone! Marvellous premise for a book but poorly delivered. ( )
  Sergeirocks | Jun 15, 2016 |
Book Description A long-lost work of Shakespeare, newly found. A killer who stages the Bard’s extravagant murders as flesh-and-blood realities. A desperate race to find literary gold, and just to stay alive. On the eve of the Globe’s production of Hamlet, Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley’s eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreaking discovery. But before she can reveal it to Kate, the Globe burns to the ground and Roz is found dead murdered precisely in the manner of Hamlet’s father. Inside the box Kate finds the first piece in a Shakespearean puzzle, setting her on a deadly, high-stakes treasure hunt. From London to Harvard to the American West, Kate races to evade a killer and decipher a tantalizing string of clues, hidden in the words of Shakespeare, that may unlock literary history’s greatest secret.   My Review The author definitely knows her Shakespeare but her writing is long and drawn out. It definitely is not a quick read as some information is hard to follow. However the plot is a good one so I continued to read as I wanted to find out what was going to happen and how it all ends. If you love Shakespeare then you should read this book otherwise it may be a little boring for you." ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Jennifer Lee Carrell’s highly acclaimed debut novel is a brilliant, breathlessly paced literary adventure. The action begins on the eve of the Globe’s production of Hamlet when Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley’s eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreaking discovery. Before she can reveal it to Kate, the Globe is burned to the ground and Roz is found dead…murdered precisely in the manner of Hamlet’s father. Inside the box Kate finds the first piece in a Shakespearean puzzle, setting her on a deadly, highstakes treasure hunt. From London to Harvard to the American West, Kate races to evade a killer and solve a tantalizing string of clues hidden in the words of Shakespeare, which may unlock one of history’s greatest secrets.

My Thoughts:

I actually gave this 2.5 stars for the idea of the plot. The story line had promise, nut unfortunately never made it beyond a good idea. The author clearly loves her history and knows enormous amounts about Shakespeare and Shakespearean arcadia, Bacon, the Earl of Oxford, Cervantes, Elizabethan politics, the Old West and the theater. But she is unable to construct a coherent plot to put all this information together. The plot indeed is preposterous and quickly becomes incoherent. Bodies pile up faster than in Titus Andronicus but why they are all being killed is beyond me and eventually I stopped caring. The characters are thin. Not one of them is convincing. The heroine is brilliant but cold -- she is amazingly unmoved when completely innocent people drop dead in bizarre ways for no apparent reason. Scenes shift so quickly I got jet-lagged just reading it. We start in London, then move to Boston, to Utah, to New Mexico, back to London, to Stratford upon Avon, to Spain, back to the United States and on and on and on. If it hadn't been for a book discussion with folks I really like, I would have stopped reading at page 100. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones....

— William Shakespeare
For
Johnny
Kristen
Mom & Dad

All the titles of good fellowship come to you
From the river, it looked as though two suns were setting over London.
Published under two titles, Interred with Their Bones and The Shakespeare Secret

A long-lost work of Shakespeare, newly found.
A desperate race to find literary gold, and just to stay alive. . . .

On the eve of the Globe’s production of Hamlet, Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley’s eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreaking discovery. But before she can reveal it to Kate, the Globe burns to the ground and Roz is found dead . . . murdered precisely in the manner of Hamlet’s father. Inside the box Kate finds the first piece in a Shakespearean puzzle, setting her on a deadly, high-stakes treasure hunt.

From London to Harvard to the American West, Kate races to evade a killer and decipher a tantalizing string of clues, hidden in the words of Shakespeare, that may unlock literary history’s greatest secret. At once suspenseful and elegantly written, Interred with Their Bones is poised to become the next bestselling literary adventure in the tradition of The Thirteenth Tale and The Historian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Receiving a mysterious box from her eccentric mentor, who claims it contains a newly found work by Shakespeare, theater director and scholar Kate Shelton is horrified when her theater is burned to the ground and her mentor killed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible