Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee…

Interred with Their Bones (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Member:sanchef
Title:Interred with Their Bones
Authors:Jennifer Lee Carrell
Info:Dutton (2007), Edition: 1st Edition: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:***

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (2007)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Scholarly heroines, mysterious goings on, and much time spent in libraries...
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (KayCliff)
    Possession by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Literary thrillers in a similar vein - The Intelligencer is a dual timeline plot surrounding Christopher Marlowe's spy activities; Interred with Their Bones is about the search for a lost Shakespeare manuscript (and the author's identity) while the main character is being chased by a murderer reenacting Shakespeare's death scenes. Both are fun action-packed thrillers.… (more)
    A Rich Full Death by Michael Dibdin (KayCliff)
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (KayCliff)

English (68)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (74)
I resented having to put this book down to eat, do necessary chores and to sleep. It starts with a fire at the Globe Theatre on the same day and date that it originally burned after which Kate Stanley's estranged mentor is found dead in Kate's office after leaving her a package and telling Kate that she'd found something. Once that horse's out of the barn it becomes an international search for clues as to what her mentor had found proof of, who killed her mentor, who was Shakespeare, and try not to get killed while she's going about it. I just hope there was some connivance between Ben Pearl and Inspector Sinclair otherwise the way they slipped though international security is worrisome. A fast and enjoyable read. ( )
  lisa.schureman | Nov 30, 2014 |
I didn't hate this book, but it certainly fell far below the potential it offered based on the synopsis I read. That book, had it existed, would have been a tight, inspired combination of some of my favorite things: Shakespeare, history, England, adventure, and puzzles.

What it ends up being is, sadly, a bit of a novelized text book on Shakespeare history and hidden/theoretical Shakespeare history. Some fascinating stuff in its own right, but merely a ball and chain when incorporated so much into a novel.

Indeed, it seems the author tried to cram as much of her vast knowledge about the Shakespeare authorship debate into one single plot. The result being a plot that twisted several more times than it should have, with an unmanageable number of characters, (none of which you really get to know, or start to care about in any significant way) and too many loose ends by the final chapter to make it all worth it.

The periodic, and highly extraneous "Interludes" which take the reader back to 17th century England were just as convoluted, overly descriptive, and plain hard to follow as the bulk of the main novel. I literally had virtually no idea who was supposed to be who during this side story. And though keeping track of present day characters was a bit simpler, those in the main plot made reference to so many people from the 17th century that sometimes it felt like I never left the "Interludes".

Had I not been listening to this, I would have stopped reading it. It would have been too boring. As it is, it was on CD, and I was able to make it to the unsatisfying end. (One of the major plot points, and, one could argue, the raisen detre' for at least a third of the material in the novel ends up being unresolved. It amounts to making most of the novel a red herring across its own plot.)

The author certainly has research on her side, and has a degree of accumen for prose in places. But it is mostly wasted on describing buildings and mountainsides which don't move the plot forward at all. A little of that goes a long way.

Take away the Interludes, and the descriptions, and this 412 page book would be closer to a 200 page novella. I wanted to like it, and in some small way for a brief time I did. But I never got excited while listening to it, and though I listened to the final disc only an hour ago, the adventure, and the characters are already leaving me. If I don't miss the people that were in a book, I have missed the book. Or it has missed me.

1 vote TyUnglebower | Jun 28, 2014 |
I don't know that I have much to add to the numerous reviews here, but I do feel very mixed about this book. Many have described it as a smart Da Vinci Code with Shakespeare, but I don't know if that really does justice to the book. There are definitely some similarities, but I think it can transcend the cheesiness of the book-thriller genre (in places).

As this type of bibliomystery goes, Interred with their Bones was pretty good. Somehow I think it avoided the disappointment that I inevitably feel with these sorts of books. Not that the ending wasn't ridiculous, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and I felt the urgency of uncovering the secret. It was pretty well paced and kept my interest. So it utilized some important elements of the genre (hidden book, arcane knowledge, secret clues, good suspense, interesting historical detail) in a way that really was outstanding.

However (and isn't there always a however?), despite all this, there was just something a bit ham-handed about a lot of the plot development. In one scene the main character seems unfamiliar with the name of a particular Spanish monastery--on the next page she's filling in her companion about who signed that monastery's guestbook in 1606. There are all kinds of inconsistencies like this, as well as bizarre character arcs that don't make a ton of sense. Just suspend your disbelief. And prepare to be hit by some massive information dumping.

All these pros and cons stated, I think the book is still pretty enjoyable. It reminded me a little of A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness: there is so much that irritated me about both books, but they both kept me on the edge of my seat and swept up in the action. Maybe I am a snob, but I guess I appreciate that both Dr. Carrell and Dr. Harkness are also academic experts in their subjects. They can add just that extra amount of erudition that makes you feel like you're not reading total trash. ( )
  sansmerci | Apr 6, 2014 |
Interesting thriller revolving a work possibly written by Shakespeare, of which no copy has ever surfaced ... until now. The race (for clues & information) begins in London, travels to Harvard, then to the Folger Library in Washington, DC, then out to the west including Cedar City, Utah, home of an annual Shakespeare Festival, on to Arizona, and then back to London. You don't need to know anything about Shakespeare to read this mystery/thriller and you may learn more than ever wanted to know. ( )
  bibliostuff | Mar 20, 2014 |
During rehearsals for Hamlet at London's Globe Theatre, director Kate Stanley is surprised when her former mentor, Roz Howard, drops in to see her. Although they were once close, the two women haven't spoken in several years. Roz presents Kate with a mysterious package and warns her not to open it unless she's prepared to follow wherever it leads. Roz promises to tell Kate more that evening but she is killed before Kate can learn any more from her. Her only clue is inside the package. Its contents set Kate on the trail of 400-year-old secrets concerning William Shakespeare's life and a lost play. As Kate hops from London to Boston to the Southwest U.S. she must stay one step ahead of the killer, who just might be one of the few people she's trusted to help her in her quest.

Each chapter ends on a cliffhanger, making it hard to put the book down once you've started. The plot is a lot like the movie National Treasure. Just substitute a Shakespearean play for the Declaration of Independence. Readers need to be willing to suspend disbelief. For example, Kate is allowed into her office in the Globe within a few hours of a fire without any protective clothing. This would never happen that quickly in real life.

Almost every conversation turns into an information dump. By the end of the book, readers have been exposed to most of the controversies about Shakespeare's identity, the history of the Globe, the religious wars between Catholics and Protestants, the work of prominent Shakespearean scholars in various centuries, etc. Authors often make the mistake of including everything they know in their first novel without editing out details that don't add anything to the plot.

My biggest problem with the book is why it was necessary for Kate to do all that globetrotting. Her dissertation research supposedly uniquely qualified her to unravel the mystery, yet the killer was either hot on her trail or waiting at the next destination without the benefit of the clues she found. These problems are all fixable and I'm willing to give the sequel a chance since historical thrillers are among my favorites for escape reading. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 5, 2013 |
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones....

-- William Shakespeare
For
Johnny
Kristen
Mom & Dad

All the titles of good fellowship come to you
From the river, it looked as though two suns were setting over London.
Published under two titles, Interred with Their Bones and The Shakespeare Secret

A long-lost work of Shakespeare, newly found.
A killer who stages the Bard’s extravagant murders as flesh-and-blood realities.
A desperate race to find literary gold, and just to stay alive. . . .

On the eve of the Globe’s production of Hamlet, Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley’s eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreaking discovery. But before she can reveal it to Kate, the Globe burns to the ground and Roz is found dead . . . murdered precisely in the manner of Hamlet’s father. Inside the box Kate finds the first piece in a Shakespearean puzzle, setting her on a deadly, high-stakes treasure hunt.

From London to Harvard to the American West, Kate races to evade a killer and decipher a tantalizing string of clues, hidden in the words of Shakespeare, that may unlock literary history’s greatest secret. At once suspenseful and elegantly written, Interred with Their Bones is poised to become the next bestselling literary adventure in the tradition of The Thirteenth Tale and The Historian.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:49 -0400)

Receiving a mysterious box from her eccentric mentor, who claims it contains a newly found work by Shakespeare, theater director and scholar Kate Shelton is horrified when her theater is burned to the ground and her mentor killed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible