Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee…

Interred with Their Bones (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Title:Interred with Their Bones
Authors:Jennifer Lee Carrell
Info:Dutton (2007), Edition: 1st Edition: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (2007)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Scholarly heroines, mysterious goings on, and much time spent in libraries...
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (KayCliff)
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Literary thrillers in a similar vein - The Intelligencer is a dual timeline plot surrounding Christopher Marlowe's spy activities; Interred with Their Bones is about the search for a lost Shakespeare manuscript (and the author's identity) while the main character is being chased by a murderer reenacting Shakespeare's death scenes. Both are fun action-packed thrillers.… (more)
    A Rich Full Death by Michael Dibdin (KayCliff)
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (KayCliff)

English (66)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
The idea of this book was so intriguing I was drawn to it immediately. However, the story was so complicated and ridiculous that it quickly became plain frustrating. The heavier academic parts were confusing but preferable to the idiotic bouncing across seas and oceans with a trail of corpses at every stage. Maybe it was meant to be funny...
The author clearly knows all there is know about her topic but she could easily have constructed 2 books from this material - one about the lost plays and another tracing the identity of Shakespeare. Both are fascinating subjects - mixing them up in this book was just one of many problems with this book.
It is a shame as the author clearly has a great imagination and a great way with words.
1 vote rosiezbanks | May 15, 2015 |
I resented having to put this book down to eat, do necessary chores and to sleep. It starts with a fire at the Globe Theatre on the same day and date that it originally burned after which Kate Stanley's estranged mentor is found dead in Kate's office after leaving her a package and telling Kate that she'd found something. Once that horse's out of the barn it becomes an international search for clues as to what her mentor had found proof of, who killed her mentor, who was Shakespeare, and try not to get killed while she's going about it. I just hope there was some connivance between Ben Pearl and Inspector Sinclair otherwise the way they slipped though international security is worrisome. A fast and enjoyable read. ( )
  lisa.schureman | Nov 30, 2014 |
I don't know that I have much to add to the numerous reviews here, but I do feel very mixed about this book. Many have described it as a smart Da Vinci Code with Shakespeare, but I don't know if that really does justice to the book. There are definitely some similarities, but I think it can transcend the cheesiness of the book-thriller genre (in places).

As this type of bibliomystery goes, Interred with their Bones was pretty good. Somehow I think it avoided the disappointment that I inevitably feel with these sorts of books. Not that the ending wasn't ridiculous, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and I felt the urgency of uncovering the secret. It was pretty well paced and kept my interest. So it utilized some important elements of the genre (hidden book, arcane knowledge, secret clues, good suspense, interesting historical detail) in a way that really was outstanding.

However (and isn't there always a however?), despite all this, there was just something a bit ham-handed about a lot of the plot development. In one scene the main character seems unfamiliar with the name of a particular Spanish monastery--on the next page she's filling in her companion about who signed that monastery's guestbook in 1606. There are all kinds of inconsistencies like this, as well as bizarre character arcs that don't make a ton of sense. Just suspend your disbelief. And prepare to be hit by some massive information dumping.

All these pros and cons stated, I think the book is still pretty enjoyable. It reminded me a little of A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness: there is so much that irritated me about both books, but they both kept me on the edge of my seat and swept up in the action. Maybe I am a snob, but I guess I appreciate that both Dr. Carrell and Dr. Harkness are also academic experts in their subjects. They can add just that extra amount of erudition that makes you feel like you're not reading total trash. ( )
  sansmerci | Apr 6, 2014 |
During rehearsals for Hamlet at London's Globe Theatre, director Kate Stanley is surprised when her former mentor, Roz Howard, drops in to see her. Although they were once close, the two women haven't spoken in several years. Roz presents Kate with a mysterious package and warns her not to open it unless she's prepared to follow wherever it leads. Roz promises to tell Kate more that evening but she is killed before Kate can learn any more from her. Her only clue is inside the package. Its contents set Kate on the trail of 400-year-old secrets concerning William Shakespeare's life and a lost play. As Kate hops from London to Boston to the Southwest U.S. she must stay one step ahead of the killer, who just might be one of the few people she's trusted to help her in her quest.

Each chapter ends on a cliffhanger, making it hard to put the book down once you've started. The plot is a lot like the movie National Treasure. Just substitute a Shakespearean play for the Declaration of Independence. Readers need to be willing to suspend disbelief. For example, Kate is allowed into her office in the Globe within a few hours of a fire without any protective clothing. This would never happen that quickly in real life.

Almost every conversation turns into an information dump. By the end of the book, readers have been exposed to most of the controversies about Shakespeare's identity, the history of the Globe, the religious wars between Catholics and Protestants, the work of prominent Shakespearean scholars in various centuries, etc. Authors often make the mistake of including everything they know in their first novel without editing out details that don't add anything to the plot.

My biggest problem with the book is why it was necessary for Kate to do all that globetrotting. Her dissertation research supposedly uniquely qualified her to unravel the mystery, yet the killer was either hot on her trail or waiting at the next destination without the benefit of the clues she found. These problems are all fixable and I'm willing to give the sequel a chance since historical thrillers are among my favorites for escape reading. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Aug 5, 2013 |
Interred With Their Bones is not light reading. It is packed with fact and fiction about the plays of William Shakespeare. Wait, maybe the plays of Francis Bacon or Christopher Morley or, or, or.

Kate Shelton is busy directing Hamlet at the New Globe Theatre in London when Roz, her old college professor shows up. They haven't seen each other since Kate abandoned her life in academia for the wild and wooly life in the theatre. Roz gives her a brooch and asks her to help her find out if there really is a copy of one of the lost plays of Shakespeare.

When Roz is killed that same day Katie becomes determined to follow the leads to then end of the earth. She spends time in England, the U.S. southwest, Harvard, and Spain. She is aided and hindered by various people along the way.

While I loved the book and the story I do wish I had more knowledge of the controversy about Shakespeare and the arguments about who actually wrote the plays. I read a lot of Shakespeare while in high school and college but haven't looked at any of the plays recently so I felt at a disadvantage. There are plenty of explanations and you don't get lost while trying to follow the story but you do have to pay attention because there is just so much information given.

Highly recommended if you like your mysteries dense with lots of history and some wonderful plot twists and turns. ( )
  bookswoman | Jun 24, 2013 |
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones....

-- William Shakespeare
Mom & Dad

All the titles of good fellowship come to you
From the river, it looked as though two suns were setting over London.
Published under two titles, Interred with Their Bones and The Shakespeare Secret

A long-lost work of Shakespeare, newly found.
A killer who stages the Bard’s extravagant murders as flesh-and-blood realities.
A desperate race to find literary gold, and just to stay alive. . . .

On the eve of the Globe’s production of Hamlet, Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley’s eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreaking discovery. But before she can reveal it to Kate, the Globe burns to the ground and Roz is found dead . . . murdered precisely in the manner of Hamlet’s father. Inside the box Kate finds the first piece in a Shakespearean puzzle, setting her on a deadly, high-stakes treasure hunt.

From London to Harvard to the American West, Kate races to evade a killer and decipher a tantalizing string of clues, hidden in the words of Shakespeare, that may unlock literary history’s greatest secret. At once suspenseful and elegantly written, Interred with Their Bones is poised to become the next bestselling literary adventure in the tradition of The Thirteenth Tale and The Historian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Receiving a mysterious box from her eccentric mentor, who claims it contains a newly found work by Shakespeare, theater director and scholar Kate Shelton is horrified when her theater is burned to the ground and her mentor killed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,833,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible