The Tent of Abraham: Stories of Hope and…

by Joan Chittister (Author), Arthur Waskow (Author), Muyrshid Saadi Shakur Chishti (Author), Karen Armstrong (Introduction)

Member:uufnn
Title:The Tent of Abraham: Stories of Hope and Peace for Jews, Christians, and Muslims
Authors:Joan Chittister (Author)
Other authors:Arthur Waskow (Author), Muyrshid Saadi Shakur Chishti (Author), Karen Armstrong (Introduction)
Info:Beacon Press (2006), Edition: First Edition; Fourth Printing, 218 pages
Tags:Jewish Midrash, Abraham's journey--Christan view, Abraham's journey--Jewish view, Abraham's journey--Muslim view

The Tent of Abraham: Stories of Hope and Peace for Jews, Christians, and Muslims by Joan Chittister

About the authors: quoting from the book's dust jacket, "Joan Chittister, OSB, has been one of the Catholic Church's key visionary voices and spiritual leaders for more than thirty years. A Benedictine Sister. . .Chittister is an award-winning and best selling author and a well-known international lecturer on behalf of peace, human rights, women's issues, and contemporary religious life and spirituality."
Rabbi Arthur Waskow is the founder and director of The Shalom Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a prophetic voice in Jewish, multireligious and American life that brings ancient and modern wisdom to bear on seeking peace, pursuing justice, healing the earth, and celebrating community."
"Murshid Saadi Shakur Chishti (Neil Douglas-Klotz) is a world-renowned scholar in religious studies, spirituality, and psychology. He is the director of the Edinburgh Institute for Advanced Learning in Scotland, cofounder of the Edinburgh Festival of Middle Eastern Spirituality and Peace, and the author of many books. . ." About the book: Bob Edgar, general secretary, National Council of Churches, said of this work, "The Tent of Abraham, Hagar, and Sarah, open on all sides, a tent of welcome to the 'other,' is an image critical for our fractured time. The stories of our common ancestors, told in this book with such creative imagination, inspire all of us to build community across the walls that normally divide us. This book is an inspiration."
  uufnn | Mar 7, 2017 |
This is a fantastic book I cannot put down. Gives me a new lens (and heart)through which to see much of the world. ( )
  quakerkathleen | Apr 23, 2016 |
The Tent of Abraham: Stories of Hope and Peace for Jews, Christians, and Muslims (2006) by Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Joan Chittister, OSB, and Murshid Saadi Shakur Chisti tells the scriptural stories of Abraham and the conflict that rages between the peoples descended from his two sons, Jewish from Isaac and Islamic from Ishmael. The book begins with two tellings of Abraham's journey, one from the Jewish scriptures and midrash and one from the Quran. Toward the end of the book there is a combined account that acts as a guide for beginning to find common ground.

The heart of the book is where each of the authors takes turns writing interpretations of Abraham's journey from the perspective of their religion. These take the form of series of short, interelated essays both on scriptural studies and the current crisis among the Israelis and Palestinians. These essays can be very beautiful and insightful as well as educational offering new takes on Abraham's story in the Bible and the completely new-to-me Islamic telling of Abraham's story. Rabbi Waskow has an interesting take on Abraham being the most dangerous person in the lives of his two sons: one he banished into the desert the other he tried to sacrifice. Both would have died if not for divine intervention. Sr. Joan reflects on many conferences of Israeli and Palestine woman working to end the killing of all their children.

The appendices of the book include resources for "pitching your own tent" and working toward peace among the peoples of all three faiths as well as some related essays by other authors.

Favorite Passages

When either community mourns the death only of those on "its side" who have been killed by those on "the other side," the outcome is often more rage, more hatred, and more death. If we can share the grief for those dead on both "sides," we are more likely to see each other as human beings and move toward ending the violence. - p. 59-60, Rabbi Arthur Waskow
Now, thousands of years later, Israelis and Palestinians are locked in mortal battle over the precise measurement of whose land is whose. The painful attempt not to be cheated is, ironically, cheating both of them out of peace and fellowship and trust. And all the while, it was precisely Abraham's decision not to invoke his right as the elder to chose the land that would be his. It is a painful lesson lost. The even greater concern is that unless both peoples discover that less can be more, the more their rights they get - unlike Abraham, who was willing to trust the soul of the other - the poorer in spirit they will all be. - p. 97, Joan Chittister

A human being is capable of holding vastly different and paradoxical points of view at the same time. We seem to have so many different voices within us, and our motivations are often unconscious. So simply nodding in agreement is no guarantee that I will act the way I intend. ... So I find myself called not to more thoughts but bigger thoughts and feelings accompanied by real action, based on the experience of a greater reality we all share. - p. 132-33. Murshid Saadi Shakur Chisti ( )
  Othemts | Apr 1, 2009 |

The Tent of Abraham is the first book to tell the entire story of Abraham and to reenergize it as a basis for peace. Written by three leaders belonging to different faiths, the book explores in accessible language the mythic quality and the teachings of reconciliation that are embedded in the Torah, the Qur'an, and the Bible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

"Explores the mythic quality and the teachings of reconciliation that are embedded in the Torah, the Quran, and the Bible. The book employs the story of Abraham from all three of these sacred texts to weave together the wisdoms of these religious traditions into a deeper, more unified whole"--From publisher's description.… (more)

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807077283, 0807077291

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,077,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible