Pictures from Our Vacation by Lynne Rae…

Pictures from Our Vacation

by Lynne Rae Perkins

2013284,614 (3.76)None

I really relate to this story because when I think of my childhood vacations I don't need pictures to see those memories vividly. This story pushes the idea of taking mental photographs that last your entire life. This book is so playful and the relationship between the words and the illustrations is incredible. I would use this book to teach students descriptive writing.
  CaputoJohn | Sep 16, 2018 |
This story is about a little boy and girl who take pictures during their vacation and take notes about their adventures. However, the pictures don't turn out well and the children realize that their memories are the best pictures. This book is perfect for visualizing as it asks the reader to imagine the pictures. I would use it for kindergarten.
  JenelleFyfe | Jun 9, 2018 |
"Pictures from Our Vacation" is a picture book about a family who goes on vacation to visit their grandparents. While they are there more family members arrive and it turns in to not only a family vacation but a family reunion. the kids are given a camera to take pictures and post them in their scrapbook. the girls spend a good amount of time dreaming up pictures in her head that are much better than the pictures she takes.

The illustrations do more to tell the story then the text does. On one page the text just says "But it rained for days", but the pictures show how the family passes the time indoors. Overall I thought the book was just okay with a few simple story and illustrations that tell more of the story. I didn't find the language exciting and I felt that the story lacks any real conflicts. The book suggests the interest level for this book is ages 5-8. I would say its more for ages 3-5. ( )
  KimWalker85 | Mar 3, 2018 |
This book is about a family that goes on vacation, and it talks about one of the children, and all of the pictures he takes while they are on vacation.
  Rebecalynn | Feb 18, 2018 |
This book is fairly good. I enjoyed the pictures and the way that it was written. The book is told from the perspective of a young girl, and she shares her thoughts and experiences openly. This makes the book very relatable to young students. The pictures in this book capture your attention with their detail and their color. This book is a good example of realistic fiction because it tells of a summer vacation that is plausible and is also relatable to experiences students may have had themselves.
Media: paint
Age Appropriateness: Intermediate
  khofer15 | Aug 30, 2017 |

With their new cameras

a brother and sister

Snap!

take pictures of their vacation.

But when they look at their photographs they see:

1. The back of Dad's head
2. Feet
3. A container of noodles

That's it?

Does 1 + 2 + 3 = summer vacation?

What about how it felt to swim in the lake? What about the stories their cousins told and the taste of a just-invented strawberry and whipped cream dessert?

For those memories—the memories of summer and the memories of family that mean the most—they need to look someplace else. Someplace deep inside. Someplace permanent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Given a camera that takes and prints tiny pictures just before leaving for the family farm in Canada, a young girl records a vacation that gets off to a slow start, but winds up being a family reunion filled with good memories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible