Operating System Concepts by Peter Baer…

Operating System Concepts (original 1983; edition 2006)

by Peter Baer Galvin, Greg Gagne, Abraham Silberschatz

Member:madharasan
Title:Operating System Concepts
Authors:Peter Baer Galvin
Other authors:Greg Gagne, Abraham Silberschatz
Info:Wiley (2006), Edition: 6th, Paperback, 980 pages
Collections:Your library, Finished Reading
Tags:Computer Science, Reference

Operating System Concepts by Abraham Silberschatz (1983)

I’ve lost count of how many operating systems books I’ve read. It’s probably less than 5, and it’s definitely greater than or equal to 3. Nevertheless, I’ve enjoyed reading them, for the most part.

Operating System Concepts by Abraham Silberschatz, among others, finds itself in its seventh edition. It is a massive tome, covering the major aspects of operating systems, including in-depth examples of the major OSes of the time: Linux, XP, and some others, detailing their strengths, their weaknesses, and how they handle the complex things geeks keep trying to get them to do speedily.

I must admit, I doubt I’ll ever implement an operating system (other than the one I did in a college course, which was essentially a subset of Linux), but I still find it interesting to see the state of the art, and you might too, if that sort of thing is up your alley.

I’d imagine, as well, if you are the type of person who has the yen for operating systems, that this book, and the other few I’ve read, might be indispensable resources for your technical library, or likewise if that book you’re using for your Operating Systems 101 course isn’t cutting it.

What with a new version of Windows and a significant improvement to the Linux kernel, as well as the ubiquity of portable OSes, I’m curious what the eighth edition will have, and how many more thousands of pages it’ll be. ( )
  aethercowboy | Feb 19, 2011 |

Peterson, James L.main authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesure, MadelynCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. Cyr, SusanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a supplement to

An operating system is a program that manages the computer hardware. [from 7th edition, 2005]

Another defining moment in the evolution of operating systems
Small footprint operating systems, such as those driving the handheld devices that the baby dinosaurs are using on the cover, are just one of the cutting-edge applications you'll find in Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne's Operating System Concepts, Seventh Edition.
By staying current, remaining relevant, and adapting to emerging course needs, this market-leading text has continued to define the operating systems course. This Seventh Edition not only presents the latest and most relevant systems, it also digs deeper to uncover those fundamental concepts that have remained constant throughout the evolution of today's operation systems. With this strong conceptual foundation in place, students can more easily understand the details related to specific systems.
New Adaptations
* Increased coverage of user perspective in Chapter 1.
* Increased coverage of OS design throughout.
* A new chapter on real-time and embedded systems (Chapter 19).
* A new chapter on multimedia (Chapter 20).
* Additional coverage of security and protection.
* Additional coverage of distributed programming.
* New exercises at the end of each chapter.
* New programming exercises and projects at the end of each chapter.
* New student-focused pedagogy and a new two-color design to enhance the learning process.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

This best-selling book, now in its fifth edition, provides a solid theoretical foundation for understanding operating systems. Authors Abraham Silberschatz and Peter Galvin discuss key concepts that are applicable to a variety of systems. They also present a large number of examples taken from common operating systems, including WindowsNT and Solaris 2. This book teaches general principles in operating systems while giving the teacher and students the flexibility to choose the implementation system.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,833,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible