Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

English (562)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (575)
Interesting premise, and I had hopes that this could be a YA version of "The Secret History" (Donna Tartt). But the implementation was messy. Reminded me of why I gave up on Pretty Little Liars. The mystery was compelling, but the storytelling was bland.

I like the structure of the cassette tapes, and going through them, checking off places in maps, crossing off names -- the quest-like format is what kept me reading. However, the dual narrative did not always work. At the end of the book I gave up reading Clay's interspersed comments (they became distracting, instead of adding another perspective), and just focused on Hannah's voice. Then I went back just reading his parts, to see if I missed anything. Nothing much. I just stuck around to find out why Clay was on the tape, then rushed through the rest of the book. Maybe this is the kind of book that is best read when in one's teens. A mention of Holden Caulfield is even thrown in for good measure.

I could not really get into it this book. There are definitely important themes: how rumors can ruin us, how kids can be cruel, we should all be more kind. That we should take all suicide attempts seriously.

But even with a clever structure to anchor everything, "Hannah's" monologue was just all over the place, which is fine in real life, given her emotional state. But this did not translate well into a work of fiction. Depressing themes can still make for good reading, and I can't help but compare this to Perks of Being A Wallflower, which somehow pulls it off. I think about what Wallflower has that Thirteen Reasons doesn't, and I think it's beautiful, simple language, and a certain maturity in the voice of the teenage narrator. Sadly, this book ends up reading like some teenager's indecipherable super secret journal.

And this must be the longest review I've ever written for a book I disliked this much. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I would like to see every young adult read this book. It was very good. ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
i liked it when i first read it. now i'm not sure i would ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I read this a long time ago. I don't think I would enjoy it now, or even think it's a good book, but I remember that at the time, it had a lot of meaning for me and helped me think about the world. ( )
  mayhplumb | Jun 15, 2017 |
It began as a very good book, even though the narration was a little messy. Then I started feeling there was more to it and felt I already knew the end. I didn't really but it was for worse. Meaning, I'd rather had read the cliche I predicted to that.

By the last quarter, I felt the book last pace, I could understand Hannah long her will power but the situations created were a bit far-fetched, I preferred how the beginning was: very real, the girl next door. And even though the end did show some character development for Clay, I don't see it how it got into him. In the end, the tapes didn't have a good purpose and felt me wanting a better ending, a more complete one.

Not a bad book, but one who could be rewritten closer to reality. Recommended because it is a page turner and makes you think, that's always a good book. But it had so much more potential, it is a pity. ( )
  AnnaBastos | Jun 13, 2017 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible