Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

English (632)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (648)
Very good book. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
I'm glad this book was written because as someone who has lost someone to suicide, it allows you into the kind of a person in that mindset. It also allows for conversations to come forward and begin not only a healing process but also to lose the stigma that is attached to it. ( )
  WormsReview | Aug 31, 2018 |
So again I was rocked by how important this book is.

I feel like it does not as some say “glamorize” suicide but it really brings to light the heavy things and important things teenagers go through. Kids need to know that bullying and everything they do to others can cost a lot and can affect the person. I could go on and on about this but I won’t.

I feel so sorry for Hannah, and Clay and some others on the tapes.

I think this is one of those hard pills to swallow.

We don’t want to think about it but its very important we face the music of our actions….

I can only imagine what the kids on these tapes felt afterward, horrible no doubt.

Some of the things they did were horrendous but yet some like Clay just needed their eyes to be opened I think.

I just want to tell anyone who is reading this that may be struggling, hang in there. Life gets better.

nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
High school student Hannah Baker commits suicide, then a few weeks later, Clay Jensen receives an anonymous package containing seven cassette tapes. They turn out to be a kind of suicide note from Hannah, in which she explains what events - which people, really - led to her taking her own life. It's a complicated subject, and I have complicated feelings about it. I did not feel like I had enough sympathy for Hannah. Yes, people weren't nice to her, but too much of it felt like the old "then they'll all be sorry!" fantasy coming true. The whole "suicide as revenge" thing just doesn't work as a plot device. Clay's perspective was a bit more realistic as he goes through the stages of grief. Definitely not something I would recommend to anyone entertaining thoughts of suicide.

A note on the audio: For once, having two narrators (Clay and Hannah) made sense, since Hannah's voice is just the cassettes. It also made the back and forth (Clay often comments in between Hannah's phrases) much easier to follow. ( )
  melydia | Aug 18, 2018 |
Wow. I think every HS student should read this. Mostly it explains just how stupid, or unintentional actions and comments can lead to bigger things. Sure there are more details but no spoilers here. Just read it!
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,830,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible