Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Member:pgoogs
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (642)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (658)
I came close to passing this one up. I thought that however the author tried to represent someone posthumously blaming people for her committing suicide, the book had to be ugly, depressing, and a terrible read. It was almost as bad as I expected, although to my surprise I did find myself reading it through to the end. (That's why I rated it 2 stars instead of one.) I understand that the central character (the girl who makes the tapes and then commits suicide) is supposed to have been maneuvered into a very bad place by circumstance, poor decisions, and evil-minded schoolmates, but this doesn't seem to me to be a good way to present that as an issue. It makes her look almost as bad as her schoolmates, and at the same time risks setting her up as some sort of teen suicide celebrity who could easily inspire vulnerable and susceptible teens to attempt something similar. I did not find any of the characters especially believable or sympathetic, though perhaps that can be put down to my age and my own outlook. ( )
  baobab | Dec 9, 2018 |
All I have to say is this book really bothered me. I hope that if anyone is thinking of killing themselves they reach out to anyone to get help. No game playing to see if anyone will help or reach out just reach out and get the help you need. No one, nothing, is worth ending your life.

Other than all that the story was great and the characters were intriguing. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |

Other than all that the story was great and the characters were intriguing. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. The story is about a girl that kills herself. Before killing herself though she leaves cassett tapes behind with her telling 13 people why she killed her self and what they had to do with it. The main character listening to the stories takes you on a journey as she names places that things happened that changed her life forever. It really is a gripping story and you will want to read till the end to find out why she killed herself in the end.
This books makes you think about your actions in life. Especially if you are a teenager reading ithis book. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
I read this book because of the series on Netflix that came out about a year and a half ago. I knew that the series was based on this book so I wanted to read the book before I watched the series. All I can say is there weren't a lot of similarities between the book and the series, which is fairly typical I think between books and movies and/or series. However, I feel the shock value carried from the book to the series. After reading the book I remember thinking, "wow that was pretty messed up." I remember thinking it was messed up that a girl sent tapes to all of these different people, holding them accountable for her death and blaming them for making her committing suicide. I just could not believe someone would do that to people after they were already dead. Even though the people on the tapes did some horrendous things to the main character, I still kind of felt bad for them that they were forced to listen to these tapes from their classmate who committed suicide. ( )
  cconsolian | Nov 26, 2018 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,837,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible