Thirteen Reasons Why(HARDBACK EDITION) by…

Thirteen Reasons Why(HARDBACK EDITION) (edition 2007)

by JAY ASHER

Member:HonoluluSprite
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why(HARDBACK EDITION)
Authors:JAY ASHER
Info:
Tags:Teenage suicide

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (648)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (664)
I... I'm not quite sure how I feel. I read it quite quickly. I liked it, but I feel like it was missing something. It has very dark, sad subject matter, but I loved the last book I read (Love Is the Higher Law) and it had sad subject matter as well. The difference between these two books, though, is that I finished Love Is the Higher Law - and even It's Kind of a Funny Story, which is also about a suicidal teen - feeling uplifted, and I finished this feeling like I just read a good story, but emotionally deflated. I suppose that's fitting though. It's real. ( )
  paperbuildings | Jan 20, 2019 |
This book tacked a very serious subject about suicide. A girl inside this book ended her own life in the prime of her life, and she left thirteen tapes to explain why she did that. The tapes were about how she was wronged and the struggles she went through and in the end swallowed pills to end her life. This was a very sad story as she was pushed to this point bit by bit. She didn't receive help until it was too late.
The author wrote this book about such a taboo subject, and it was overall a sad book. The entire story was delivered in a sad atmosphere. Which made us think about how suicide will impact the people around us, and how by ending one's misery multiplies other's misery. This book also makes us think about what we do will impact the people in our lives without knowing it. And how people may be suffering and won't tell anyone.
This book is sad, makes us think, and definitely doesn't glamorise suicide. On the contrary, it shows the impact of the other people when someone ends their own life. ( )
  TheAmazingFish | Jan 20, 2019 |
Although I couldn't get the book out of my hands, it's not for the right reasons. This is one of the worst books I have read, if not the worst. Clay's thoughts and Hanna's speech mixed was just one big headache. The book written confusingly and incomprehensibly and in my opinion, (I beg your forgiveness) the reasons for her suicide were idiotic. In any way, which is perhaps the bright spot and two stars, the reason I couldn't get the book out of my hands is that I was bursting with curiosity to know what Clay had done to Hannah. ( )
  bookloverreview | Jan 15, 2019 |
Although I could not get the book out of my hands, it's not for the right reasons. It's one of the worst books I have read lately. Clay's thoughts and Hannah's speech mixed, it was just one big headache. The book is very confusing and incomprehensible, and I think, sorry, yes? But the reasons for her suicide were foolish. The reason I couldn't get the book off my hands was that I was bursting with curiosity to know what Clay had done to Hannah (this is why I'm giving it star no. 2). But the book is smeared and doesn't reach the boiling point. I didn't understand at all how all the stories connected, and they were very dull to my taste. I bought it because it is written in the cover that the book was six years in the New York Times best-seller lists (it's not clear why). ( )
  Denizhorowits | Jan 14, 2019 |
This book is about a high school girl who commits suicide. The whole town is reeling with why it happened. One day, our main character receives a package at his door - inside are cassette tapes. He doesn't know who they are from or what they are doing at his house, but he finds an old tape player and begins to listen. He quickly realizes they are from the dead girl. She wants to take an opportunity to explain what lead her to her decision to kill herself and the 13 people who were involved with that decision. Each person on the tapes is to receive them at some point, and then pass them on to the next person.

Our main character, Clay, is a good guy. He takes the time to listen to the tapes and follow her path to what lead her to commit suicide. And in the end, he passes the tapes on to the next person who is to receive them hopefully to help everyone heal.

This was an easy read. It was definitely a young adult novel, and a good read for those in high school. It talks about the signs of suicide and how one thing that happens to lead to many more, and for young people, it should not be taken lightly. She made connections to everyone on her list and why she made her decision. It was a little sappy, but again, it was YA. If you are looking for something that talks about a very serious topic but does it in an easy read, then this book is for you. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,551,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible