Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:ruse101
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Recently added byprivate library, ainjel, LitaVore, beanwarrow, LierinM, amandasuttonlcsw, greenquark, Rena37

English (547)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (560)
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a package with his name on it, and with no return address, on his front porch. There are several cassette tapes inside recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush. Hannah committed suicide two weeks earlier. As he listens to the tapes, he learns that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. And that he is one of the reasons.

This was interesting - it's told from Clay's perspective but as he listens to the tapes Hannah's story is interwoven with his thoughts, memories and what he's doing at that particular moment. I think this format made the book hard to put down. I did sympathize with Hannah. She gives us all the reasons that keep adding up, leading to her decision - things she may have been able to stop, things that other people may have been able to stop, how some teenagers can be so cruel and thoughtless. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
With all the hype surrounding Thirteen Reasons Why, I decided to give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised with this book. It kept my interest in a way that kept me up reading way later than I should on week nights. The story of Hannah, knowing how it will ultimately end, is heartbreaking. It is hard, as a mother of a young daughter, to hear what happened to her. Yet, it happens all the time across the country.

I think Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely worth the time to read - it is a great story that will keep your interest and you will walk away feeling and understanding another side of depression that many do not get to see. ( )
  AmyBreiter | Apr 21, 2017 |
Thirteen Reasons Why is Jay Asher's debut novel. Before protagonist Hannah Baker takes her own life she sends out seven tapes in which she relates the events leading up to her suicide. Each side of every tape is dedicated to one person that plays a role in her story. The novel is structured along the lines of those stories, having one chapter for each side of every tape. The first person to get the tapes is also the one that is featured on tape 1, side A. Everyone is supposed to listen to the tapes and send them to the next person in line. If that chain is broken there is a second set of tapes that will be made public. However, none of the persons on the tapes would want their story to be revealed.

What makes this novel interesting is of course its setting but also the narrative technique that Asher employs. While the stories on the tapes are of course narrated by Hannah Baker from a first-person perspective there is the added commentary of Clay Jensen, one of the recipients of those tapes who questions why he got the tapes from the beginning. The story gains momentum as the plot approaches Clay's role in the story and has its climax in the final stories before Hannah Baker's suicide.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a YA novel, but I would recommend it to an even larger readership because the topic is not just relevant for teenagers. On the whole, 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Apr 14, 2017 |
I think that this is one of the most important books written in the last few years. Bullying is suicide is a major issue that most students face in high school this calls to attention the issues of bullying and how important it is to think about what we say and do. ( )
  mrw522 | Apr 13, 2017 |
Mystery. ( )
  trc2017 | Apr 13, 2017 |
This book was OK. I had heard such great things, but was a little disappointed when I read it. I got pretty angry with the concept because I do not believe anyone can cause another person to take their own life. I do however understand how certain events can lead to the feelings the main character had. The book got better as it progressed and my feelings of anger diminshed some.

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible