Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

5,874486713 (4)209
Member:ruse101
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (475)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (487)
This was a very, very good teen novel. It deals with the suicide of a female student, Hannah Baker. As the novel opens, we know that Hannah has successfully completed her suicide attempt because, prior to her death, she had made a set of tapes for selected fellow students to hear. We follow along as one student, Clay Jensen, listens to and reacts to those tapes.

I found this book quite readable and even page-turning from the very beginning. I think the subject of teen suicide, rumors, and alienation are very important ones that this novel brings to the forefront. Although I am not a big reader of teen novels, I found a lot to like in this story which highlights ways that teens might unknowingly contribute to the alienation of fellow students. There is a lot to seriously think about while and after reading this novel. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Apr 14, 2015 |
I have to start off by saying I don't know how to review this book... So many thoughts are running through my head. I'm not giving this book 3 stars because it wasn't good. The book is very well written. The reasons I give it 3 stars are below.

There are many things I could say, I'm not sure I should say them. But anyways here goes. I'll start off by saying that I do know what suicide is up close and personal. My mom killed herself when I was 21.

I didn't like the idea of the tapes. EVERYONE carries enough guilt around after the suicide of a loved one. More often than not, guilt they should not have to carry as it's not theirs to bear. You blame yourself for so much, I can't even image the real impact on people of receiving tapes of what they did making them feel guiltier.

The bottom line is that life is hard for everyone. I would hate that a teenager could pick up this book and see it as a reason to justify an act they may commit. Like saying "Well she did it for less then what I'm going through, so why can't I?" Because to me these reasons didn't justify the means. Suicide is never the answer. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I have lived through the aftermath of a suicide (and still deal with every day). It's one of the most devastating type of death you have to deal with. ( )
1 vote Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
Powerful, depressing, and eye opening. A must read for teens and adults alike. Thirteen Reasons Why tells the story of a teen that has made the decision to end her life and the bacstory as to how she reached that conclusion. She records several cassettes, and on each side she elaborates on a different reason as to why her life is no longer worth living. There are thirteen reasons and thirteen people that lead her on her self-destructive path and everyone listed must listen to the tapes and see how their actions (or lack thereof) played a part. The story is told through the perspective of Clay Jensen. When he receives the tapes in the mail one day, he has no idea what they are about. But as he starts listening to them he is overcome with horror, revulsion, and sadness. He could have done soo much more, he should have seen the signs, been a better person. Clay can only imagine how the other people on the tape feel. They are all implicit in one way or another. Hannah doesn't make the tapes to needlessly inflect pain on these people, she wants them to understand that their actions and words have far greater impact then they can ever imagine. Some of them she wants exposed or hurt, but others she wants to change, to become better people. An enlightening book on suicide, depressing but heartfelt. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 30, 2015 |
This book was amazing, my favorite aspects were the moral of the story and suspense or development provided by the author. The writing was very intriguing, as from the very beginning there is a sharp hook when you find out about a young girls suicide. Through out the story the author does a wonderful job of going back and forth between character voices. The author uses italics when the tape is playing and Hannah is speaking. I would of thought that the story would be hard to follow with Clay's thoughts interrupting Hannah's dialog, however that only makes it more interesting. The moral of the story could take a lot of avenues, from respect and reputation to love to death. Overall this book teaches many lessons with its harsh story line. For example, in one of the first tapes Hannah explains her first kiss to Justin, how it was just a simple kiss but got twisted into something much bigger than a kiss when talked about around school.
  achamb15 | Mar 23, 2015 |
I felt that this book was very easy and entertaining to read. I have mixed feelings on the quality of writing, but for a YA book it is okay.
This might be good to start out the year reading so that students go into the year with the proper motivation and awareness of the impact their actions have. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 19, 2015 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,725,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible