Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:ruse101
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (526)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (538)
I'm re-reading this book for the third time since it was published because I'm meeting the author, Jay Asher, on September 27th at a special event.

There are 13 reasons why Hannah Baker, a gifted and beautiful high school student, committed suicide two weeks ago. Clay Jensen is one of them. To find out why he's one of the reasons, Clay will have to listen to series of tapes--yes, cassette tapes!--as Hannah tells him why she ended her life.

This is a suspenseful, well-told story about a serious subject. A lot of people have told me they're concerned this book may entice students to romanticize suicide. Far from it: this book depicts suicide as the desperate act of a desperate girl and shows how much pain a suicide leaves behind. Suicide doesn't end the pain; it just shifts it onto the suicidal person's family and friends. 13 Reasons Why is a strong argument *against* suicide!

I highly recommend this book, which is a quick read but also a book you'll likely read again, as I have, to discover something new. There are very few books that have the potential to change the way you look at yourself, at your friends, at your family, and at life itself. This is one of those books.

--Mr. Bradford, Head Librarian
  BHHSLIBRARY | Sep 18, 2016 |
I can't really express how much I loved this book without sounding like I just copied out the quotes from the book cover. This is a fascinating book, and one that I think I'll re-read constantly.

This book is about a few things:

1) Hannah Baker's suicide. I don't think I need a spoiler tag there since you can read it on the back cover and The first few pages. Suicide is a hard subject to get right in literature. Often it can go into the melodramatic and cheesy, with platitudes about life sprinkled all over the place. This isn't that book. Oh sure you are meant to think about life and hope in general, but they are never pounded into your head.

2) Clay's reactions to the tapes. This was my favorite part of this book. The framing device of Hanna's tapes explaining her story. 13 tales recorded on tape. I loved it. You really feel for Clay while he listens to these tapes, to the stories that led someone he really liked to kill herself.

3) the horrible stuff that happens to Hannah, and the idea of the destructiveness of rumors in general. Ugh. the kids on those tapes are assholes. I can honestly say that my high school life was not that horrifying, but I know for a lot of people it is and that is terrible. You really get sad and desperate for Hannah and you wish you could go back in time to help her. The thirteenth tape is the saddest for me, although the others make me sad and rage as well.

Seriously, I think everyone should read this book. There are so many great things that I am leaving out, and every story is worth reading. It was so good I read it in a day. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
The writing in this was amazingly juvenile. Also I didn't give a damn about Hannah.
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
I loved everything about this book. The rhythm, the story, the main character. It was extremely moving and heartbreaking. Highly recommended. ( )
  GoldenHoldenCervone | Aug 4, 2016 |
Clay, a high schooler, receives a strange package with no return address, only to find out that it contains thirteen tapes from a girl he knows at school, Hannah. Hannah had just committed suicide before Clay received the tapes, and her tapes reveal Hannah's reasons for taking her own life by focusing on thirteen different people's actions that led her to her decision. Clay listens and waits to find out how he may have affected his friend's life.
  LeahAlvey | Aug 3, 2016 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,172,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible