Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

6,058495687 (4)214
Member:ruse101
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (483)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (495)
It's about: Hannah, a teenager who decides to commit suicide. But, before she does, she makes recordings on tape cassettes explaining why and pointing to 13 very specific reasons (people). She tells her story from where she sees the beginning, and explains how each of the 13 people who get copies of the recordings either contributed to her decision or could have helped her and didn't.

The thing is, it's uncomfortable, and the main character is at times very off-putting and unrelatable - in many ways a typical selfish self-obsessed teenager... and yet, I think the book should be REQUIRED reading for all 8th graders. Maybe even younger, I'm not sure.

Asher did an amazing job of going through the actual psyche and impact that various words and actions have had on Hannah that led her to kill herself. And although these words and actions will not always have the same impact on all teenagers, it is certainly not unusual for this type of reaction -- the isolation and fear and depression that results. At the same time, Asher did an amazing job with Clay (the other narrator) and hope and awareness.

Such an impressive feat.
An easy (based on audio version, listened to at 1.5 speed) ( )
  avanders | Aug 25, 2015 |
Hannah, a teen girl, decides to commit suicide, but before she does she makes 13 recordings explaining why, and how each of the 13 people who get copies of the recordings either contributed to her decision, or could have helped her and didn't. This book is amazing in its ability to capture the desperation of depression. It does more than that though, Jay Asher weaves an amazing story that could very easily be real - and he shows how it is never one single thing that is so terrible that someone chooses suicide - it is a "snowball" of little events - rumors, lies, small moments, lonely feelings, combined with the feeling that they are trying to ask for help and no one is hearing them, or no one cares. Mr. Asher doesn't stop with Hannah's point-of-view, he includes Clay - one of her 13 reasons - so that we can see the other side of the coin. In Clay, we get to see what it is like for the people left behind - for those who knew something was wrong, but didn't know what, or how to help.

This book is well written - it's a page turner and heart breaker, and above all it teaches lessons about how we treat each other, and the importance of not giving up on people even when they are pushing you away. Seriously, Mr. Asher, well done.

I would recommend this book for all teens, adults who work with teens, parents of teens...pretty much anyone, really. Its a great story with a powerful message. (There are some topics discussed that may be too graphic for the under 13 crowd) ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Aug 20, 2015 |
I rarely give books 5 stars anymore because once I began critiquing books I just became...well...more critical. Thirteen Reasons Why gets close to my highest rating because it's so darn clever. A girl is dead, but she comes back to haunt the 13 people who contributed to her decision to commit suicide through a tape recording she made before she died. In the recording she recounts the circumstances that, when added together, pushed her over the edge. We hear the details of her downfall through the perspective of Clay, one of the designated 13. Asher delivers a convincing voice for Hannah and miraculously pulls all the details together while all along maintaining the suspense needed to keep the reader guessing. Reminds me of [b:The Perks of Being a Wallflower|22628|The Perks of Being a Wallflower|Stephen Chbosky|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1363910637s/22628.jpg|2236198]. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
An excellent first novel...I expect it to take off with my more mature 8th grade girls. While dealing with the disturbing and sensitive issue of teen (or any) suicide, its message is one of hope and does not condone that choice in any way. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,154,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible