Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Member:jshepherd929
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Recently added byprivate library, dkgarner95, Anietzerck, micheleferrante, liblb, andrea58, Mediana, MutantAtoms

English (468)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (480)
Before committing suicide, Hannah made a cassette recording of the reasons she did what she did, and sends them to each of the people she deems integral in her decision, threatening to expose their secrets if they don't listen all the way through. The story is told as one of the recipients, Clay, listens and reacts to Hannah's tapes. The story comes together toward the end with the culmination of events that pushed Hannah to her decision.

Personally, I thought the overall tone was odd for a story told by a suicidal teen- somewhat biting and cocky, and very rationally explained. Does bring up important issues for teens to discuss, though I was unimpressed with the execution.

AR level: 3.9 MG+
Lexile: 550
Recommended for: High school ( )
  liblb | Dec 25, 2014 |
A novel that echoes its meaning into your life forever. Beautiful. ( )
  Tannaii | Dec 19, 2014 |
I thought this book was an easy read. It was just what I was looking for...to get lost in a book for a few hours. It makes me look back at my high school days differently. You feel emotions towards and for the characters in the book. ( )
  madeofslate | Dec 1, 2014 |
In moments like this I wish I was an artist, a writer who can twist words into emotions, and emotions into feelings. I wish I could accurately articulate the depth of what this book did to me after I read it, I don't know how it will come out but I will try to tell you.

I just finished the book. After I closed the cover I immediately gchatted my friend Susan who told me to read this book and we chatted for a minute. She made a point about a part in the book and I agreed and then she asked "And..." and I told her exactly "I got nothing. I am just sitting here staring slack jawed at my computer trying to decide if I should just cry and be done with it or not." and then "I probably will...I teared up at one point but I feel like I need a good cry and an ice cream sandwich."

Yes, just like that, this book reduced me to incoherence, tears, and the driving need for emotional stability that is chocolate. I also made the either very intuitive or very stupid decision to listen to a bit of the audiobook, the first tape. The audio did not have the same effect as the book, I think it may be because I am still in emotional turmoil from the actual reading.

Mr. Asher weaves a tale so compelling the emotions Clay feels as he listens gets ripped from you as you read. The tension, the love, the guilt, and the driving need to help this girl, for someone to help her, anyone. All there for Clay and each one will touch you as well. I fell in love with Clay, the exact way that Hannah did, he is the good guy, the guy that did nothing wrong yet felt like everything was his fault. I fell in love with Hannah, for the quite way she held herself together, for the little observations she made about people, for the love she held for Clay. I fell in love with them both and wished I could change the ending of their story, just so I can feel that it won't happen to someone else, to anyone else, and to possibly imagine that he helped her, that he got to her in time.

I think the most emotional point for me was when Clay listened to his part in the story. Something eased in me then, as you read you are waiting for his part, the whole time falling in love with him but hoping that he couldn't so something so horrible as contribute to a girl's suicide. It's nerve wracking and it strips you down to your soul. I think the way you feel about this book says a lot about you, what however, I don't know yet, still working that one out. I can't say I enjoyed this book, it is as enjoyable as being in a thunderstorm, you know what is coming yet you are powerless to look away from it even as it crashes around you. The beauty, the maelstrom, and the cooling rain it brings touches you but at the same time the thunder makes your nerves jump and the lightening frightens you if when it gets close.

The emotions this book evoked scared me. The subject a bit to close to home, even though I am not a teenager, nor have ever thought about suicide. I am glad I read this book and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. It is powerful, amazing, awing, and absolutely beautiful. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
This book has been praised so much that I was convinced that I was reading a different book. What in the blue hell is this monstrosity? This is a book about teen suicide; it's meant to hit home, rethink your life choices and decisions and agree to treat people better. Thirteen Reasons Why just strikes me as a book about a teen who decides to kill herself out of revenge for reasons that are extremely petty.
Clay Jensen is delivered a box of cassette tapes to play by recently-deceased Hannah Baker. She committed suicide. These tapes are about the thirteen people who ���drove��� her to commit suicide. As someone who struggles with suicidal thoughts, I'm fucking offended at the piss-poor reasoning Hannah Baker has. These are no more than insignificant slights against her.

One of Hannah's reasons for killing herself is that someone touched her thigh. Touched her thigh. There was no stiffening of her body in fear, no standing up and causing a scene, no telling him to get his hand off her because she didn't like it. She laid her head on his shoulder. Wow, talk about getting your message across. In the book, Hannah even says that if you say exactly what I've said above, you are ���victim shaming���. In this scenario, there was no victim because you were not threatened. This was not perceived as a threatening act unless you make it so. The boy who did it isn't a mind reader. You two were on some kind of date. If I was on a date and they touched my thigh, I would either accept it (as you did) or ask them to remove their hand because I don't feel comfortable with it. Communication is about using your voice.

Another is that there was a class about depression and suicidal thoughts and the like. Students were encouraged to step forward with their problems. Hannah chose to do this anonymously and got offended when no one could help her because they didn't know her name or much about her predicament. I'm sorry, but you chose to go about it that way. Not one of those people sitting in the classroom with you was a mind reader. They couldn't stand up and go, ���Oh yeah, that was written by Hannah Baker!��� you dumb fuck. If you want help, you have to ask for it. That's how I've always dealt with my depression and anxiety; by asking for help.

In all honesty, Hannah was a stupid, stupid girl. She ended her life so that she could get petty revenge on other people, destroy their lives entirely, for small things that could have been avoided if she got her head out of her ass and stopped thinking the world revolved around her and her problems.

And poor Clay! He sat through all of that just to realise that he hadn't actually played a part in Hannah's death. She just wanted him to listen to it. What a bitch.

If anyone was to send that to me, tell me I'm one of the reasons why they killed themselves and then asked me to send on these tapes to the next person on the list, I'd smash the tapes. I really would. Especially if the reasons behind the person killing themselves were shallow.

I'm going to remember Jay Asher's name so that if I ever see another book by that author, I'll be very hesitant to pick it up. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,499,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible