Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (520)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (532)
I don't like Young Adult fiction much. But still thought of reading this.
Story of a girl who finds it difficult to cope with the people around her at the new place and decides to end her life but before that she records the incidents that made her to end her life.
13 reasons. 13 Cassettes. She sends those to the people who were the 13 reasons.
I didn't find those 13 reasons so life threatening, but who am i to decide that!!
The reasons were stupid enough to a courageous person but may be our heroin was not so brave. Well her cassettes left a guilt on 13 people (to what extent idk)
A plot very different held me through the book.
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Hannah is a teenager in a new town. As she begins to meet people she kisses a boy, and that boy destroys her reputation. Hannah ends her life and leaves behind thirteen tapes for the thirteen people that she believes brought her to commit suicide. Throughout the story, Clay is listening to the tapes and we learn about everything that went wrong in Hannah's life. She is very angry in the tapes, and she believes she should have done things differently. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
Meh, I really didn't care about Hannah that much. For the first half of the book I really disliked her, she's whiny and melodramatic about everything.
I can think of things that happened to me in high school that were of a similar nature to those that happened to Hannah and yeah at the time you're a teenage bundle of emotions, but everyone is going through basically the same thing and you just get on with it. If Asher had made more of an effort to convey that she was suffering from depression or something, maybe she would have been a more sympathetic character. But I just got the sense that she was self centered and selfish, particularly because she makes these tapes and forces people to listen to her story after she's dead - something that seems really unfair to me. If anyone deserved some form of comeuppance in the book it would be Bryce (I won't say what he did, but it was something really terrible) who should have been put in jail. But otherwise, everyone else was just a regular teenager doing regular teenager stuff and Hannah makes everyone feel awful about it. The message beind the book is important, suicide is definitely a topic that it is important to address and understand - I just don't think this book pulled off what it was trying to very well. ( )
1 vote Katharine_Hanson | Mar 30, 2016 |
Absolutely loved this book! I finished it in about two weeks because I couldn't put it down! It really teaches you a lesson about bullying and how much it can effect a person! I recommend this book ( )
  averyplata | Mar 29, 2016 |
The writing in this was amazingly juvenile. Also I didn't give a damn about Hannah.
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,810,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible