Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (568)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (582)
Summary: Thirteen Reasons Why is told from the perspective of Clay, a high school student who has just received a box of mysterious cassette tapes from a friend who has recently killed herself, Hannah Baker. Clay has been instructed, by Hannah, to listen to each of the tapes to find out how she considers each of the 13 people responsible for her suicide. Clay struggles to get through each tape, as he learns of various friends roles in Hannah's life, from rape, cyberbullying, a peeping tom, a fatal accident, parental issues, poor teacher counseling, and many, many, rumors. Clay learns that if he does not pass on the tapes, his friend Tony has another set to release to the world, so he keeps listening. Clay ultimately learns that he did nothing wrong, and he passes on the tapes to the next victim of the tapes- Jenny. Clay also reaches out to Skye- who we potentially see as the reader as the next victim of suicide (as she isolates herself from everyone as Hannah did).

Personal Connection: I liked reading this book, as I could totally get into the high school drama and see how bit by bit the injustices added up in Hannah's mind. However, I couldn't get over the fact that Hannah was blaming everyone else for her choice to kill herself- she should have talked to these people- or, at least Clay, as he was clearly there for her. It is easy to say that as a rational adult, and I can see how Hannah's emotions took her over, and she felt as if she had no other choice.

Extras:
-Interview with Jay Asher: http://slayground.livejournal.com/262630.html
-Now a Netflix series

Application to Teaching: Again, this text is not appropriate for K-1 reading, however I would recommend it to teachers of high school students to read, to better understand their student population. It is upsetting that this book is banned from libraries- I would use it to teach why NOT to my students, and address it head on- you know the kids are going to read it or see it on Netflix anyway- it is better to be addressed in the classroom- it might help one more kid feel like they aren't alone. ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 19, 2017 |
Hard to read at times, but wonderfully alive characters - especially,ironically, Hannah. ( )
  aimless22 | Jul 14, 2017 |
And truthfully, I don't know what they could have said to sway me either way. Because maybe I was being selfish. Maybe I was just looking for attention. Maybe I just wanted to hear people discuss me and my problems.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Hannah Baker! That quote above is exactly all this book is about.

Thirteen Reasons Why... Oh how I hate thee - let me count thy ways.

If you read this book and didn't get a headache, I want to question the function of your brain. The constant go between of point of views and of italic and normal text nearly killed my eyes. There was nothing separating them so if you read fast enough it all runs together and it is just annoying.

I had said over and over and over that I would not read this book but I ended up winning a giveaway of a stack of books and 13 Reasons Why ended up being one of them. Seeing this book itself kept me in panic attacks because I had heard so many terrible things - triggers.
but the more I sat and thought on it, I did want to read it, I wanted to be able to tell my friends why they shouldn't read this book because of those triggers on certain pages. I thought to myself, it'll be hard but I DO want to help - if that makes sense.
It took me about 4 days of panic attacks to finally dive in and by chapter 3, I was no longer in panic. I. Was. Pissed.

I really expected this book to have a deep meaningful outcome - that would just leave you haunted because of the terror your read. But... that didn't happen.

Hannah Baker has 13 reasons why she committed suicide.
-grab your pitchforks now, because I'm sure I am about to piss a lot of fans off-
Her reasons were pathetic. At one point of the book one of the guys says "She was just looking for someone to blame" and I hate to agreed with him, but I do.
DO NOT GET ME WRONG!
Suicide is not a joke or something to take lightly. But literally everything that happened to Hannah - was things that happen to EVERYONE in high school. People are mean. No ifs ands or buts. Whether you are in school, at work, in a store, or even talking online - people are mean. It happens to everyone - but you don't see people killing themselves over it - and a lot more people go through worse that Hannah ever did.

Hannah just seemed spoiled she wanted to be famous-popular. She reminded me of all those women from the 20s-30s who committed suicide because they couldn't be actors like they wanted to be. And because that didn't happen and people were mean to her by spreading "rumors" she decided to kill herself.

-I'm sure I am gonna catch a lot of hate for this but I really have to say it, the whole suicide thing was just stupid to me. Why? Because it took her months to do it. Took her weeks to to make her tapes. And I am sorry but when a person is really wanting to end their life - they do it within 24 hours. Trust me, I would know because I have been there - a lot of my friends have been there. So that was just off to me

I also hated that the term suicide was called "disgusting". It's not. It's heart wrenching. Calling it disgusting is just adding more stigma.

This may contain minor spoilers so reader beware, if you don't mind - keep reading.
I hate Hannah. Her reasons to end her life were asinine. She could have stopped someone from being raped but she didn't. She sat there and let it all happen. To make matters worse - later in the book she gets in a hot tub with him, knowing damn well what he was capable of and KNEW what would happen - but yet it is still his fault - even though in addition she admits to not telling him to stop, so he didn't - again - he was still to blame.

She puts the blame on SO. MANY. PEOPLE. like they were suppose to be able to read her mind.

The last person on her list is the one who kinda tipped the scale and push her over the edge - when all he did was try to help. He gave her options: press charges, confront him, or let try to let it go (aka therapy) and because she didn't like those options, she added him to her list and killed herself and all I can think is .... "are you serious? What else were suppose to be offered? No one can rewind time"

Most everything that happened to Hannah could have been avoided if she used even HALF of her brain. So no one is to blame but herself. No one can read minds and how she talked made it seem like everyone should have read hers. Even when she "pleaded with her eyes" - Okay yeah no. I'm sorry. People that see pleading are called empaths. Most people than not CAN'T READ FACES!!! So you can't blame them for something they can't even do. Good grief!

This whole book was a mess. It sets a HORRIBLE example for teenagers, heck, for ANYONE who reads this really. ( )
1 vote FearStreetZombie | Jul 14, 2017 |
Overall, I did enjoy this book. It was a light read because you can literally read this in just 3 days if you are commited to it and although people seem to not enjoy the story I kinda did. I mean, I'm obviously not happy with the idea of blaming others but I get what the author is trying to say through Hannah's character. So, I rate it a 3,5 stars because although I get why we get to see Clay's point of view I feel like we can't connect with him as much as we can in the tv series and I think I would have much preffered to see just Hannah's point of view. ( )
  SofiaReis | Jul 6, 2017 |
I have been wanting to read Thirteen Reasons Why for so long. I think I added it to my wish list before it even came out. I have no idea why it has taken me so long to pick it up. It might be the fact that even though I enjoy Young Adult contemporary, it is probably my least favorite genre. Perhaps it’s just a case of so many books, so little time. All I do know is that I am glad that I found it at Goodwill and decided to finally pick it up.

Going into it I didn’t know what to expect. I knew what it was about and it sounded like something I might like, but I don’t think I expected to get enjoy it as much as I did. I was completely sucked in and I didn’t want to put it down. I’m not sure why I was surprised but I was. This was such a great read.

Even though I didn’t cry while reading this, my emotions were all over the place. There were times I was smiling and laughing. There were times that I felt sad and even angry. I just wanted to hop into the book, go back in time, and be friends with Hannah. I had a hard time with bully and rumors when I was in school. I was incredibly depressed and while I was reading this book I felt like Hannah and I would have really gotten along. Maybe if we were friends we both would have made it through high school (I was kicked out because of the rumors and just couldn’t bring myself to go to another school in a different town).

I do understand why a lot of people don’t like this book. Some people think that it’s dangerous and glamorize suicide. Or they think that Jay Asher just doesn’t understand depression and Hannahs reasons were dumb. Like I said before, I dealt with both bullying and horrible rumors, and if you have to get pushed around all day at school, if you have to deal with people calling you names, acting weird around you, laughing at you, staring at you and whispering, you end up feeling completely worthless. Every comment, every rumor, every look, they all add up. They just keep piling up on you until you are buried and you feel like suicide is your only option. You don’t want to deal with the whispers, looks and shoves. You just want to escape. You want out. Hannah probably already had depression, and every comment, rumor, whisper, stare, all of it, added up. I’m not saying that what other people said is wrong, they just had a different experience. Maybe they are stronger and what people say and do doesn’t hurt them as much. I can admit that I am sensitive, you combine that with my anxiety and depression and you are left with someone who could understand where Hannah was coming from. If you didn’t that’s fine. We don’t all have to agree. I just hope that if you heard or read negative reviews that you still give this book a chance. Give it a read for yourself. You might hate it, or you might love it.

This book was so great and I’m glad that I now own it and have read it. I can’t wait to pick up more by Jay Asher in the future. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Jul 6, 2017 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,016,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible