Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

5,980487698 (4)211
Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (476)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (488)
Thirteen Reasons Why is an eye opener that makes you really think about everything you've said and done in your life. It's crazy how something so small could mean the whole world to someone else. Everyone is intertwined into each others lives without even knowing it. Thirteen Reasons Why makes you want to be a better person. Jay Asher is an excellent writer with an understanding of depression. The format of the book makes it even better and leaves you finding yourself staying up until 3am to finish this book. ( )
  aliceinoblivion | Jun 27, 2015 |
This is a book about a little girl named Hannah Baker, who commits suicide and is sharing with her classmates the thirteen reasons why it happened. It tells the story of one classmate in particular who receives the package of the tapes. Through cassette tapes, she leads him through the town and shows him the hard times she was going through. This book is a life changing book, it puts bullying into such a realistic perspective.

This book shows bullying to be so real, and it shows how bullying can truly have a life changing effect on someone. Through the tapes Hannah explains how each student had a part in leading her to suicide. This book will leave you breathless, and in tears. Students will see how bullying and teasing is not a little thing.

Reading Level: 3.9
Genre: Realistic Fiction
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I had the opportunity to read this book with junior high students. It was very engaging and resulted in some great conversations with them. I liked the format of the book and how a complicated story was brought to light. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
This book is mesmerizing. I found myself unable to stop turning the pages until I was completely finished. I am a certified online counselor for a suicide prevention organization and this book helped me immensely. Problems like the one in this book need to be addressed more openly. I was especially angered by how the school counselor reacted, or should I said didn't react, to the way Hannah was feeling. Someone like that should not be allowed to hold a job in the mental health profession.

With that being said, this story opened by eyes to different viewpoints of a person who is experiencing severe depression. If it were up to me, everyone would be required to go through a suicide training (one that I took myself) known as QPR Gatekeeper Training. This type of training teaches individuals how to recognize warning signs of suicidal ideation. It teaches them how to address the situation openly and honestly and to ask the question that most people are extremely hesitant about, "Are you thinking about committing suicide?" Unfortunately the training costs money that a lot of people are unable to spend.

There are other resources that are available that are completely free. There is actually a book located on the QPR website that can be downloaded for free. That book is designed for people who are thinking about suicide and people who are interested in helping someone who they believe is thinking about suicide.

I hope that everyone who reads this book comes to a better understanding of how severe this type of situation has become, especially in teenagers. And just a reminder to anyone out there that is depressed or considering suicide, please try to find someone to talk to. There is always hope and there is always someone who is willing to listen and be there for you no matter what. Never give up. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
Summary: This story is about a girl, Hannah Baker who was depressed and killed herself. She made 13 tapes to be sent to different people that played a role in her committing suicide. She leaves them each explicit instructions on how they contributed to her ending her own life along with an interactive map of where they need to go while listening.

Personal connection: I read this book and then participated in a marketing group to help sell the book to other teenagers. I think all teenagers have the feeling that no one understands them and thinks about depression once in a while. This helps illustrate what people are feeling and what can happen if their feelings are not taken seriously.

Class use: Use this book to teach about depression: the warning signs, feelings and possible actions of the person having those feelings. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,880,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible