Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (555)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (568)
Every teen should read this book. And every parent of teens. Or anyone who was a teen. Compelling, engaging, moving ... and, yes, disturbing. It is aimed at young adults, but I think it could induce many older generations to reflect back to confusing times. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Hannah is an unhappy teenager driven to suicide, but before she commits that final act, she records on seven cassette tapes what led to her choosing death. Detailing thirteen reasons, these reasons actually correspond to thirteen people she knew and had interactions with. Hannah sends the tapes in a box to the first of these people, with specific instructions to listen and then send the box of tapes on to the next person. Could any of these people prevented Hannah’s downward spiral? Only Hannah would know the answer to that. But for Clay, one of the thirteen, Hannah’s death becomes very personal as he listens to the disclosures on the cassettes. This novel clearly illustrates the effect that lies and rumors and unkind acts have on susceptible and vulnerable teens who lack the maturity and wherewithal to stand up to bullies. Can these acts which targeted an innocent teen actually end in death? In Hannah’s case the answer is a resounding yes. But Hannah does not go quietly into death. She leaves behind a legacy that will not soon be forgotten. Would that she – and others like her – could have spoken up while still alive. The author has chosen an unusual way to present Hannah’s story. While Clay listens to the tapes in Hannah’s own voice, his thoughts about what she said immediately follow. We readers learn her story as Clay does, and we hear his reaction and regrets. Though we feel sorrow for Hannah, we feel sorrier for Clay, who must live with his failure to save her. ( )
  Maydacat | May 21, 2017 |
Hannah Baker has killed herself. Before she did, she recorded a series of cassette tapes telling her story, and explaining how thirteen people were involved in her decision. Before taking her life, she mails the box of cassettes to the first person on the list, with instructions that when they have listened, they are to mail it to the next person, and so on. If at any point someone doesn't pass the tapes to the next person, a second copy of the tapes will be released publicly.
Through the book, we alternate hearing Hannah's voice, and the thoughts of Clay Jensen, who is listening to the tapes after they were sent to him.
In addition to the obvious suicide prevention message, the book asks us to be conscious of the fact that our lives intersect with the lives of everyone we come in contact with every day. All of our interactions with other people have the potential to be extremely significant to them in ways that we are unable to see. A few of the people on Hannah's list have done terrible things, which anyone would be profoundly and negatively affected by. But others on her list are only guilty of minor acts that they would never even realize had an affect on someone else's life, or if it did, would assume it wouldn't amount to anything.
It's a teen book with some depth that will stick with you. ( )
  fingerpost | May 20, 2017 |
Hannah Baker, a teenage girl who commits suicide, leaves behind a series of recorded narratives that explain how a series of microaggressions (and more than a few macroaggressions) committed by her peers led to her decision to end her life. Clay, a friend of hers who harbored a secret crush, listens to the heartbreaking tales and struggles to make sense of what he learns as he intertwines his own narrative with Hannah’s. This is by no means your typical YA fare.

Jay Asher approaches his story with an appropriate blend of candor and empathy. While it’s nearly impossible to depict anyone who takes her own life as anything but a victim, Asher manages to characterize Hannah as strong and assertive—until the moment when she simply cannot overcome the collective social oppression of peers who either actively ostracize and stigmatize her or who simply do nothing to counter Hannah’s social denigration and exclusion. Their silence and inaction implies more than consent—it implies culpability.

Despite the “controversy” that the recent Netflix adaptation has created, this novel is an appropriate and urgent read for almost any young adult—for those who have considered or are considering suicide (and research suggests that a majority of adolescents do), Hannah’s story offers a realistic portrayal of the finality of suicide—a permanent solution to a temporary problem. For those teens who might not grasp the consequences of their cruelty or their indifference, it holds up an unflinchingly honest mirror to their heartlessness. ( )
  jimrgill | May 5, 2017 |
I "read" this long ago by listening to Audiobook version - and found it compelling & well read by the actors for Clay's and Hannah's dual narratives. ( )
  BDartnall | May 5, 2017 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,522,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible