Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (458)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (470)
If you're not the biggest fan of teenage fictions, there is one thing you might want to keep in mind in case you decide to read this book: forget the fact that there was supposed to be a "lesson" in the story. You know, "be nice with other people, pay attention to any signs of distress or change of behavior". Stuff like that. Don't expect an epic thriller, because this book does not follow that style.
The first thing that will probably draw your attention to this book is its format. Sure, there are several books that have more than one narrator, but this one shows a very interesting way of telling a story. It shows the same story in two different points of view, going through different times. One of them is a girl who is, in a way, being bullied by other colleagues because of some mean rumors that started to spread throughout the school. The other is a boy who, in a certain point of his life, interacted with this girl. The said girl had recently committed suicide, but left a bit more than a suicide note: she left behind one map and seven cassette tapes, each one explaining one reason why she killed herself.
The story itself is far from being the best one I've ever read, but it is enticing enough to keep you wanting to know more... until the middle of the book, where the story actually gets slightly disappointing. The narration style that alternates between the girl's reasons and the boy's thoughts about them are, at the very least, quite interesting.

What I didn't really like about the book: the way each reason connected to each other. I mean, in the first tapes I could understand Hannah's reasons for doing what she did, but after a certain point, it started to seem like she wasn't much more than a person eager for some attention than for real help. I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that some people don't know how to handle certain situations because they were raised in a very "closed/protected" environment, and while I do know that some families are truly like that, I don't believe that Hannah, having such strong bonds with her family in the beginning of the book, never thought of bringing up the problem either with them or any other relatives and only recurring to the counselor as the last resort. But then again, I cannot condemn her decision because I know that her attitude is perfectly... possible.

A good book to be read once, perhaps even twice. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I listened to this book unabridged. It was pretty close to torture by the end. I liked the concept at first and was intrigued. The only reason I finished it was because I didn't have another audio book lined up to listen to in the car and by the time I did... I was close to the end. I HATED the characters and wanted to jump into the story and kill the girl myself. Drama, drama, drama... everyone goes through this in High School and her story was nothing special. How this book got an average of 4 STARS is beyond me. I guess for those teenagers that can sympathize it hit a mark with them? But what kind of message does this book send? Here are legitimate reasons to commit suicide? If that were the case then the human race would cease to exist. Maybe the Author made her this way on purpose and to illicit this exact reaction I have, but I highly doubt it. I found myself yelling out at the radio, "You dumb *!$%, get a grip and stop blaming everyone else for your problems." Maybe if the character had true depression, that would be understandable but they did the opposite and pointed the finger using these "reasons why". Horrible and gives a terrible message in my opinion, plus the writing and dialogue is atrocious. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Dieses Buch hat mich zutiefst berührt, sprachlos und nachdenklich zurückgelassen. Ich glaube nicht, dass es mich in absehbarer Zeit wieder los lassen wird. Ich bin nicht der Typ, der besonders gut im Rezensionen schreiben ist; besonders wenn es sich um positive Kritiken handelt, wird es extrem schwierig. Deswegen weise ich lieber noch einmal auf die Rezension hin, die mich dazu gebracht hat, dieses Hörbuch auszuleihen: http://lokuszeit.heldenblog.net/?p=354. ( )
  Telaara_Dunwin | Aug 10, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book makes you think about how your actions can affect other people and how it makes them feel. 5Q3P, (sadly I think this book isn't as popular as it should be). The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend it to middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because I heard about it from other people that it was good and have been waiting to get a chance to read it. BreB
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,357,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible