Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (465)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (477)
This book has been praised so much that I was convinced that I was reading a different book. What in the blue hell is this monstrosity? This is a book about teen suicide; it's meant to hit home, rethink your life choices and decisions and agree to treat people better. Thirteen Reasons Why just strikes me as a book about a teen who decides to kill herself out of revenge for reasons that are extremely petty.
Clay Jensen is delivered a box of cassette tapes to play by recently-deceased Hannah Baker. She committed suicide. These tapes are about the thirteen people who ���drove��� her to commit suicide. As someone who struggles with suicidal thoughts, I'm fucking offended at the piss-poor reasoning Hannah Baker has. These are no more than insignificant slights against her.

One of Hannah's reasons for killing herself is that someone touched her thigh. Touched her thigh. There was no stiffening of her body in fear, no standing up and causing a scene, no telling him to get his hand off her because she didn't like it. She laid her head on his shoulder. Wow, talk about getting your message across. In the book, Hannah even says that if you say exactly what I've said above, you are ���victim shaming���. In this scenario, there was no victim because you were not threatened. This was not perceived as a threatening act unless you make it so. The boy who did it isn't a mind reader. You two were on some kind of date. If I was on a date and they touched my thigh, I would either accept it (as you did) or ask them to remove their hand because I don't feel comfortable with it. Communication is about using your voice.

Another is that there was a class about depression and suicidal thoughts and the like. Students were encouraged to step forward with their problems. Hannah chose to do this anonymously and got offended when no one could help her because they didn't know her name or much about her predicament. I'm sorry, but you chose to go about it that way. Not one of those people sitting in the classroom with you was a mind reader. They couldn't stand up and go, ���Oh yeah, that was written by Hannah Baker!��� you dumb fuck. If you want help, you have to ask for it. That's how I've always dealt with my depression and anxiety; by asking for help.

In all honesty, Hannah was a stupid, stupid girl. She ended her life so that she could get petty revenge on other people, destroy their lives entirely, for small things that could have been avoided if she got her head out of her ass and stopped thinking the world revolved around her and her problems.

And poor Clay! He sat through all of that just to realise that he hadn't actually played a part in Hannah's death. She just wanted him to listen to it. What a bitch.

If anyone was to send that to me, tell me I'm one of the reasons why they killed themselves and then asked me to send on these tapes to the next person on the list, I'd smash the tapes. I really would. Especially if the reasons behind the person killing themselves were shallow.

I'm going to remember Jay Asher's name so that if I ever see another book by that author, I'll be very hesitant to pick it up. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Hannah Baker finds an unusual way to let people know how their actions affected her life in very adverse ways. Unfortunately, her quest for (their) understanding comes too late for them to make amends and change their ways.

My teenage daughter and I were both frustrated with Hannah for not really trying to get help before things got too bad. It does serve as a reminder to all of us to be careful how we treat others. This did seem to have an authentic and believable voice of a high school girl, at least from what I remember from my own teenage angsty days and from what I see my kids going through. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Oct 28, 2014 |
With those glorious reviews
and high ratings from the
readers. I thought this was
going to be a blast but it
turned out not. And I always
have this soft spot when it
comes to death/suicide. But
what I got was disapointment.
The thirteen reasons why
Hannah Barker committed
suicide were merely childish.
I mean she took her own life
just because people didn't do
good things to her, someone
used her, made fun of her,
stole her notes, or whatever
the reasons were. Everyone
experienced the same thing.
Even worst. I was annoyed by
it. But the idea of how this
book created was great. And
also there was this little touch
of romance which was cute. ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
There is not a whole lot I can say about this book that has not already been written, but I read it on suggestion of my 13 year old niece (we are very close), after there was a very serious suicide attempt at her school by a girl she knew (but not well). It is easy to forget how incredibly painful rumor, gossip and outright lies can be at that age, but it is important we listen, as the reality is that in the age of technology, kids are experiencing these horrors faster and sooner and sadly, globally. One rumor can spread like wildfire to the other side of the country in about two minutes; and destroy a reputation and life. So this book seems like a noble attempt to educate on the reality behind careless, thoughtless and downright mean behaviors and gossip. It also helped blast open a discussion about suicide, hopelessness and also, kindness between my niece and me. It is far easier for a teenager to talk in the context of another (fictional) person, rather than themselves sometimes. Anyway, it was an interesting book, sad, but real. While the blame was incredibly hard to read, the reality is that is often how kids think, so whether I agreed or not with Hannah's tapes was irrelevant, it surely was real. I felt the plot was a little contrived, especially how the entire accident/party events fell together, but then, it was quite a powerful illustration of the effects of our actions and I think it worked well for that. I have a few doubts whether this puts the seed of suicide in kids' head though, but then again, it is already happening and I tend to feel that it is not anything teenagers these days don't already know. Highly recommended, especially if you have a teenager to chat with about it. I'm grateful my niece opened up her world to me through this book. ( )
  CarolynSchroeder | Oct 6, 2014 |
I really loved this book, this was one book that made me really cry in a while. I would really recommend this! It's a realistic book, that teens and Adults should read.

Just one thing keeps on bothering me, some of the negative reviews. I keep reading "This isn't why you should commit suicide, it encourages suicide, I would never do this etc" the point is you are NOT Hannah. You are NOT supposed to relate to a character, simply understand. People handle things differently, and yes guilt/rape/helplessness are some of the reasons why people commit suicide. The character Hannah was vulnerable from the start, she was weaker than most - look at it from her perspective, and not your own. people are DIFFERENT. No matter what reason it is, I Would NOT commit suicide, but that's because I'm much stronger than Hannah. I'm me. And she is Hannah. I would not judge her for committing suicide. She had no one to turn to, she was helpless. Although, she could have told Clay the truth but people are afraid. If you "strong willed" people cannot understand that, then it is just sad. Suicide should never be an option, but when people do commit it - you should understand why they did it and who was responsible more than the victim. So judgmental. Imagine if this was a true story, and the victim was aware of these comments? Really sad what people are saying. ( )
  benishkhanx | Sep 26, 2014 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible