Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

5,331None821 (4.02)188
Member:jrw114
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

audiobook (24) bullying (76) cassette tapes (33) contemporary (36) death (83) depression (111) drama (22) fiction (258) friendship (64) gossip (41) grief (34) guilt (29) high school (148) mystery (68) own (26) rape (47) read (45) realistic fiction (89) relationships (57) rumors (38) suicide (541) tapes (26) teen (114) teen fiction (29) teen suicide (34) teenagers (28) to-read (110) YA (252) young adult (308) young adult fiction (58)

English (447)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (459)
Highly disturbing presmise (especially in light of the fact it's a book for teens!), but definitely a page turner. ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
As a parent of two teenagers, my daughter strongly encouraged me to read this book. I realize that there is not much more to add as far as detailed reviews of this book goes, but I will just restate again: This book is also recommended reading for parents, too. Seriously...if your teen is asking you to read a book, you should be happy they are letting you in their world. Read it! ( )
  elleayess | Mar 30, 2014 |
Thirteen Reasons Why was a phenomenal book that, although fiction, allows readers to see the aspect of suicide from the actual committer's point of view. The author did a great job in incorporating the use of an old voice recorder and cassette tapes to pass on the story of Hannah Baker. Jay Asher writes in a way that really engages the reader and has you sucked right into the book, as if you're one of the by-standing characters. I would definitely recommend this book to all teenagers out there, and encourage those who may be going through tough times to realize Hannah's mistake, and instead of giving up on themselves, to seek out the available help. ( )
  ohheyyitsminjee | Mar 21, 2014 |
There aren't many books that get me so hooked, that I can't put it down. This one kept me turning the pages. Excellent and emotional read. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I picked up Thirteen Reasons Why because I kept seeing it pop up on lists of “must read” books. I was a little hesitant about it at first because suicide isn’t really a subject matter I’m generally interested in reading about. Also, I wasn’t sure how I felt about the premise as it almost sounded like the book was justifying placing blame for the decision to commit suicide on those who Hannah felt wronged her. But instead, the book gave a very realistic look at how thoughtless words and actions can have a very real effect on someone's life.

The story revolves around two central characters. Hanna, who commits suicide after recording a series of tapes giving all of her reasons and sending them to the people she feels were a large factor in that decision, and Clay, who is one of the recipients of these tapes. Hanna’s voice is powerful and compelling as she relives some of the worst moments of her life. I was so impressed at the way the author was able to convey the sense of trapped isolation Hannah was feeling and how things just kept snowballing. But at the same time, the author showed how Hannah’s choices contributed to that breakdown. I loved Clay’s character. It was his story that really touched my heart. The way he reacted to what he was hearing, visiting each scene as Hanna related her experiences to better feel what she was saying and where she was both physically and emotionally when she was living these moments. The insight that went into creating this novel was nothing less than incredible.

Each cassette focused on a particular person or incident and how one situation fit into or affected the next. In the author's own words, a "snowball effect" that lead to Hannah making this most final of decisions. I think that this is a great book to open a dialog about feeling overwhelmed and helpless, as so many teenagers do. I think, as adults, we forget sometimes how intensely teenagers feel things and how tough some of the social aspects of school can be. I would love to see this book used to initiate discussions about these things, both with parents as well as in the schools themselves.

I can only rate this a five and also consider this a must read for everyone, all ages. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible