Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2007)

by Jay Asher

Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (529)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (541)
Thirteen Reasons Why is a book about a girl named Hannah that committed suicide. Clay is a guy that had a crush on her and came home one day to find a box. In this box Hannah explained that Clay is one of the thirteen people who pushed her into suicide. Hannah deals with rape and people not accepting her. The book really explores middle school and high school life and how little actions can cause incredible pain.
Personal Reaction:
I believe every kid in middle school and high school should be exposed to this book. It covers so many important issues. Words do hurt and people need to keep that in mind when talking to their classmates. Hannah had faults but so does everyone else. This book really takes into account the effect that people have on individuals. It is deeply concerning that little actions can cause someone to commit suicide but people need to be aware.
Classroom Extension Activities:
1. Create a safe haven for students to discuss their problems with teacher, students or counselors.
2. Create a discussion on what to do if you feel bullied or suicidal.
3. Set aside a couple minutes each week to have each student tell one another something positive about them. This may be the only time they hear something positive about themselves. ( )
  ShaLee.Hale | Oct 26, 2016 |
This was a pleasure read for me. It was interesting and hard to put down.

Hannah is a teenage girl entering those awkward years with a bang. As rumors begin to stir about her reputation, and she witnesses the unthinkable, Hannah decides to take matters into her own hands and kill herself. She leaves recordings for each of the people who influenced her suicide and exposes secrets along the way. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Oct 25, 2016 |
This book was good in so many ways. The narrating, the writing style, the words used to describe situations and feeling. But ,,,,, Thirteens Reasons Why weren't that reasonable for someone to commit suicide and decide to kill him/herself.

I tried to get inside the head of Hannah, to feel what she's feeling, to understand what she's going through. But being added on a list in high school, having bad reputation, witnessing rape and not calling the police for a broken sign that caused an accident which lead to someone's dying, Don't actually make you kill themselves. She could have asked to someone's help, she could have talked to someone, anyone. She had Mr. Porter, why hasn't she told him about everything that was going on in her head?! Doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm not a teenager anymore to understand what young people go through in that specific age, but I was one before and I can relate to few things. Yes, I've thought about suicide so many times when I was 15 years old but I've never been able to do it. We are talking about a soul here.

I wish the writer had chosen better reasons for why Hannah committed suicide. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Oct 20, 2016 |
This book is a work of fiction about a character who commits suicide and the affects it has on one of her school mates when he learns of her reasons. It’s not a biography. I mention this because some people confuse fantasy and reality when they read fiction. As an reader, I overlook little details and avoid overanalyzing very little “fact” in a fictional story. I don’t view fiction as an extension of life and I try to avoid looking for parallels in the real world. I see it for what it is, imaginary events and people and the best form of escapism. On a personal note, I don’t judge someone’s reasons for committing suicide. I believe that when people commit suicide, they’re trying to escape themselves. Certain circumstances build up that create a tipping point and pushes them over the edge. It’s easy to pass judgment, but nobody can truly understand how this person feels unless you walk in their shoes. OK, that’s enough of the soapbox.

As for the book itself, I enjoyed the dual narrative. I wasn’t sure if I would because sometimes if it’s not done well, it’s either confusing to read or annoying with all of the back-and-forth in the narration. In this case, the narrative style helped build the characterization because of Hannah’s conversational voice on the cassette tapes and Clay’s stream of consciousness thinking as he’s listening to the tapes. Overall, good storytelling. This is one of those YA book that you can absorb yourself in and read in a day.
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I'm re-reading this book for the third time since it was published because I'm meeting the author, Jay Asher, on September 27th at a special event.

There are 13 reasons why Hannah Baker, a gifted and beautiful high school student, committed suicide two weeks ago. Clay Jensen is one of them. To find out why he's one of the reasons, Clay will have to listen to series of tapes--yes, cassette tapes!--as Hannah tells him why she ended her life.

This is a suspenseful, well-told story about a serious subject. A lot of people have told me they're concerned this book may entice students to romanticize suicide. Far from it: this book depicts suicide as the desperate act of a desperate girl and shows how much pain a suicide leaves behind. Suicide doesn't end the pain; it just shifts it onto the suicidal person's family and friends. 13 Reasons Why is a strong argument *against* suicide!

I highly recommend this book, which is a quick read but also a book you'll likely read again, as I have, to discover something new. There are very few books that have the potential to change the way you look at yourself, at your friends, at your family, and at life itself. This is one of those books.

--Mr. Bradford, Head Librarian
  BHHSLIBRARY | Sep 18, 2016 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,811,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible