Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Member:mhousel
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (531)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (544)
This is a realistic fiction story about a boy named Clay Jensen who comes home to find a package on his front step from a girl named Hannah Baker who has recently killed herself. Clay listens to the tapes and learns about the thirteen people who helped contribute to Hannah's suicide. Clay must give the tapes to each person and we learn about events and people who progressively get more intense who contributed to her demise.

Teaching Connections: character study, making predictions, making inferences, making connections, summarizing, visualizing, cause and effect, social skills - suicide prevention research

Website Resources: Educator Guide - https://www.teachervision.com/literature-guide/thirteen-reasons-why-educators-guide ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the book, and I loved the story line, but at some points the book could have been written a little better. ( )
  marybethsoper | Dec 12, 2016 |
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! Heartbreaking and tragic and oh so real feeling. Makes you realize that every human you meet is fighting their own battle that you know nothing about!! So treat everyone with decency and respect. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
What a powerful story! Told through the eyes of a teenager, this story leads you through all of the events that resulted in the suicide of a troubled teen.
  michebee | Nov 2, 2016 |
Summary:
Thirteen Reasons Why is a book about a girl named Hannah that committed suicide. Clay is a guy that had a crush on her and came home one day to find a box. In this box Hannah explained that Clay is one of the thirteen people who pushed her into suicide. Hannah deals with rape and people not accepting her. The book really explores middle school and high school life and how little actions can cause incredible pain.
Personal Reaction:
I believe every kid in middle school and high school should be exposed to this book. It covers so many important issues. Words do hurt and people need to keep that in mind when talking to their classmates. Hannah had faults but so does everyone else. This book really takes into account the effect that people have on individuals. It is deeply concerning that little actions can cause someone to commit suicide but people need to be aware.
Classroom Extension Activities:
1. Create a safe haven for students to discuss their problems with teacher, students or counselors.
2. Create a discussion on what to do if you feel bullied or suicidal.
3. Set aside a couple minutes each week to have each student tell one another something positive about them. This may be the only time they hear something positive about themselves. ( )
  ShaLee.Hale | Oct 26, 2016 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,787,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible