Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (527)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (539)
This book was good in so many ways. The narrating, the writing style, the words used to describe situations and feeling. But ,,,,, Thirteens Reasons Why weren't that reasonable for someone to commit suicide and decide to kill him/herself.

I tried to get inside the head of Hannah, to feel what she's feeling, to understand what she's going through. But being added on a list in high school, having bad reputation, witnessing rape and not calling the police for a broken sign that caused an accident which lead to someone's dying, Don't actually make you kill themselves. She could have asked to someone's help, she could have talked to someone, anyone. She had Mr. Porter, why hasn't she told him about everything that was going on in her head?! Doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm not a teenager anymore to understand what young people go through in that specific age, but I was one before and I can relate to few things. Yes, I've thought about suicide so many times when I was 15 years old but I've never been able to do it. We are talking about a soul here.

I wish the writer had chosen better reasons for why Hannah committed suicide. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Oct 20, 2016 |
This book is a work of fiction about a character who commits suicide and the affects it has on one of her school mates when he learns of her reasons. It’s not a biography. I mention this because some people confuse fantasy and reality when they read fiction. As an reader, I overlook little details and avoid overanalyzing very little “fact” in a fictional story. I don’t view fiction as an extension of life and I try to avoid looking for parallels in the real world. I see it for what it is, imaginary events and people and the best form of escapism. On a personal note, I don’t judge someone’s reasons for committing suicide. I believe that when people commit suicide, they’re trying to escape themselves. Certain circumstances build up that create a tipping point and pushes them over the edge. It’s easy to pass judgment, but nobody can truly understand how this person feels unless you walk in their shoes. OK, that’s enough of the soapbox.

As for the book itself, I enjoyed the dual narrative. I wasn’t sure if I would because sometimes if it’s not done well, it’s either confusing to read or annoying with all of the back-and-forth in the narration. In this case, the narrative style helped build the characterization because of Hannah’s conversational voice on the cassette tapes and Clay’s stream of consciousness thinking as he’s listening to the tapes. Overall, good storytelling. This is one of those YA book that you can absorb yourself in and read in a day.
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I'm re-reading this book for the third time since it was published because I'm meeting the author, Jay Asher, on September 27th at a special event.

There are 13 reasons why Hannah Baker, a gifted and beautiful high school student, committed suicide two weeks ago. Clay Jensen is one of them. To find out why he's one of the reasons, Clay will have to listen to series of tapes--yes, cassette tapes!--as Hannah tells him why she ended her life.

This is a suspenseful, well-told story about a serious subject. A lot of people have told me they're concerned this book may entice students to romanticize suicide. Far from it: this book depicts suicide as the desperate act of a desperate girl and shows how much pain a suicide leaves behind. Suicide doesn't end the pain; it just shifts it onto the suicidal person's family and friends. 13 Reasons Why is a strong argument *against* suicide!

I highly recommend this book, which is a quick read but also a book you'll likely read again, as I have, to discover something new. There are very few books that have the potential to change the way you look at yourself, at your friends, at your family, and at life itself. This is one of those books.

--Mr. Bradford, Head Librarian
  BHHSLIBRARY | Sep 18, 2016 |
I can't really express how much I loved this book without sounding like I just copied out the quotes from the book cover. This is a fascinating book, and one that I think I'll re-read constantly.

This book is about a few things:

1) Hannah Baker's suicide. I don't think I need a spoiler tag there since you can read it on the back cover and The first few pages. Suicide is a hard subject to get right in literature. Often it can go into the melodramatic and cheesy, with platitudes about life sprinkled all over the place. This isn't that book. Oh sure you are meant to think about life and hope in general, but they are never pounded into your head.

2) Clay's reactions to the tapes. This was my favorite part of this book. The framing device of Hanna's tapes explaining her story. 13 tales recorded on tape. I loved it. You really feel for Clay while he listens to these tapes, to the stories that led someone he really liked to kill herself.

3) the horrible stuff that happens to Hannah, and the idea of the destructiveness of rumors in general. Ugh. the kids on those tapes are assholes. I can honestly say that my high school life was not that horrifying, but I know for a lot of people it is and that is terrible. You really get sad and desperate for Hannah and you wish you could go back in time to help her. The thirteenth tape is the saddest for me, although the others make me sad and rage as well.

Seriously, I think everyone should read this book. There are so many great things that I am leaving out, and every story is worth reading. It was so good I read it in a day. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
The writing in this was amazingly juvenile. Also I didn't give a damn about Hannah.
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,725,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible