Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

6,008490694 (4)213
Member:mhousel
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (479)  German (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (491)
This contemporary realistic fiction book is appropriate for grade 7 and up. This would be a good book to recommend to a reluctant reader. It is engaging and many upper middle to high school age students will be able to identify with the experiences of the two main characters, Hannah and Clay. If I were still teaching leadership, I think this would be a good book to use to demonstrate the fact that action and inaction, no matter how insignificant it may seem, can have a major impact on other people's lives. It really drives home one of the quotes I used frequently while teaching leadership, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
  bflanagan | Jul 26, 2015 |
The writing in this was amazingly juvenile. Also I didn't give a damn about Hannah.
  humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
Another great book by Jay Asher. I wish he'd write more! I listened to the audiobook and the voices were age-appropriate and I went through it very quickly. ( )
  DonnaPaints | Jul 10, 2015 |
Thirteen Reasons Why is an eye opener that makes you really think about everything you've said and done in your life. It's crazy how something so small could mean the whole world to someone else. Everyone is intertwined into each others lives without even knowing it. Thirteen Reasons Why makes you want to be a better person. Jay Asher is an excellent writer with an understanding of depression. The format of the book makes it even better and leaves you finding yourself staying up until 3am to finish this book. ( )
  | Jun 27, 2015 | edit |
This is a book about a little girl named Hannah Baker, who commits suicide and is sharing with her classmates the thirteen reasons why it happened. It tells the story of one classmate in particular who receives the package of the tapes. Through cassette tapes, she leads him through the town and shows him the hard times she was going through. This book is a life changing book, it puts bullying into such a realistic perspective.

This book shows bullying to be so real, and it shows how bullying can truly have a life changing effect on someone. Through the tapes Hannah explains how each student had a part in leading her to suicide. This book will leave you breathless, and in tears. Students will see how bullying and teasing is not a little thing.

Reading Level: 3.9
Genre: Realistic Fiction
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,485,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible