Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Member:mhousel
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (538)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (551)
---REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS---
I decided to read this book out of procrastination. Overall this is an emotional book to get through. I felt that I was really connecting with Clay as I felt I understood what Clay was going through. The first portion of the book was a breeze to get through but once I got to Clay's part, I found that is was difficult to continue. After that portion, I was able to continue on with ease again. I enjoyed the book overall and understand what is meant by the ending. However, the ending still does not sit well with me. I understand that the meaning is for Clay to see what he is supposed to do now, but for some reason it did not sit well with me. There was so much development during the book, but the ending just wasn't satisfying for me. Also, I am still curious to see some of the other reactions, even Mr. Porter's.

This book was rather easy for me to get through, since it took me less than a day to finish. During that time, I completed the book twice. The first time, I read through the book by itself and then read through the book while listening to the audio book version. I feel that reading through the book first is essential to understanding the book. After this is established, the audio book version is able to bring new light to many of the things that could have been overlooked at first. The audio book also helps to develop a further connection as it is almost as if you are going through the story with Clay. ( )
  bhiggi12 | Mar 3, 2017 |
This book was OK. I had heard such great things, but was a little disappointed when I read it. I got pretty angry with the concept because I do not believe anyone can cause another person to take their own life. I do however understand how certain events can lead to the feelings the main character had. The book got better as it progressed and my feelings of anger diminshed some. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary: A novel begins with the narrator Clay Jensen receiving a package with seven cassette tapes, as he begins to listening to the tapes, he discovers that the tapes are a suicide note of Hannah Baker, at the girl Clay had a crush on before she took her life a few weeks before. There are thirteen stories on the tapes and Hannah tells her listeners why she held them responsible for taking part in her death in one way or another, and each person must pass the tapes to the next person or the tapes would be revealed. While listening to the tapes, Clay realizes that not only are the tapes a suicide note but a rendition of why she did what she did, and the thirteen reasons or the thirteen people whole created a snowball effect of events that led Hannah to believe that suicide was her only option. What is on the tapes frightens, disturbs and allows Clay to a realization that he would never have expected, and as he listens to the thirteen reasons, his view of the world himself and life changes drastically.

Personal Response: The author writes this novel narratively moving back and forth between Hannah and Clay’s thoughts and actions. The book is sad, heartbreaking, amazing, hopeful, and represent the ugly truth of how little actions can affect one person’s life. In the story, you experience the highs and lows of Hannah’s life right along with her. The story allows you to get knowledge and insight on another person’s feelings, especially that of a teenager and shows what seems to be a small, meaningless action can hurt a person and their life. This book utilizes postmodernisms multiple perspectives or voices, where the there are two voices and stories, in which neither is taking precedence over the other.

Curriculum Connections: This book can be used to begin conversations with teachers, teens, parents and community leaders to engage teenager on the important topic of suicide prevention. This book should be used for high school students through discussions on how all actions have a ripple effect with consequences. It can be used as a tool to teach students the importance of kindness, showing empathy, understanding people and helping each other. This book can also lead discussions on bullying, rumor vs. trust, and other things that happen in real-life to teach students the importance of reporting bullying, harassment, teasing, assault, etc. A great book to develop a caring culture within the school and community. ( )
  ftakahashi | Feb 20, 2017 |
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a package with his name on it, and with no return address, on his front porch. There are several cassette tapes inside recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush. Hannah committed suicide two weeks earlier. As he listens to the tapes, he learns that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. And that he is one of the reasons.

This was interesting - it's told from Clay's perspective but as he listens to the tapes Hannah's story is interwoven with his thoughts, memories and what he's doing at that particular moment. I think this format made the book hard to put down. I did sympathize with Hannah. She gives us all the reasons that keep adding up, leading to her decision - things she may have been able to stop, things that other people may have been able to stop, how some teenagers can be so cruel and thoughtless. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 3, 2017 |
When you read this book, read the whole thing because it starts off compelling and the voice is real: realism-adolescent. I had to put it down about half way through. I just couldn't take it anymore. You see, there was a lot of insightful blame to go around. Meanwhile my sympathy dwindled to shit as I waited for somebody (anybody) to take one modicum of responsibility. Nada. Bubkiss. After a while the mounting adolescent voice became tiresome and annoying -- You see, that's the realism and it's not funny! Eventually the dual-narrator voice takes on additional dimension. Things get complicated, the pace quickens, and by the time the hook is set, well you're caught. The resolution is unpredictable.

(4.4395682 stars) ( )
  bikesandbooks | Jan 29, 2017 |

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,244,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible