Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher

Member:mhousel
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (547)  German (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (560)
With all the hype surrounding Thirteen Reasons Why, I decided to give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised with this book. It kept my interest in a way that kept me up reading way later than I should on week nights. The story of Hannah, knowing how it will ultimately end, is heartbreaking. It is hard, as a mother of a young daughter, to hear what happened to her. Yet, it happens all the time across the country.

I think Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely worth the time to read - it is a great story that will keep your interest and you will walk away feeling and understanding another side of depression that many do not get to see. ( )
  AmyBreiter | Apr 21, 2017 |
Thirteen Reasons Why is Jay Asher's debut novel. Before protagonist Hannah Baker takes her own life she sends out seven tapes in which she relates the events leading up to her suicide. Each side of every tape is dedicated to one person that plays a role in her story. The novel is structured along the lines of those stories, having one chapter for each side of every tape. The first person to get the tapes is also the one that is featured on tape 1, side A. Everyone is supposed to listen to the tapes and send them to the next person in line. If that chain is broken there is a second set of tapes that will be made public. However, none of the persons on the tapes would want their story to be revealed.

What makes this novel interesting is of course its setting but also the narrative technique that Asher employs. While the stories on the tapes are of course narrated by Hannah Baker from a first-person perspective there is the added commentary of Clay Jensen, one of the recipients of those tapes who questions why he got the tapes from the beginning. The story gains momentum as the plot approaches Clay's role in the story and has its climax in the final stories before Hannah Baker's suicide.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a YA novel, but I would recommend it to an even larger readership because the topic is not just relevant for teenagers. On the whole, 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Apr 14, 2017 |
I think that this is one of the most important books written in the last few years. Bullying is suicide is a major issue that most students face in high school this calls to attention the issues of bullying and how important it is to think about what we say and do. ( )
  mrw522 | Apr 13, 2017 |
Mystery. ( )
  trc2017 | Apr 13, 2017 |
Whenever a book is turned into a movie or TV series, you can bet your boots the story has mass appeal. That’s why when Netflix released “Thirteen Reasons Why” in late March to instant popularity, you just knew you had to reach for the book. After all, the book is always better, right? Even if it is a YA novel. Even if you don’t typically read YA novels. Even if you avoid YA novels like lima bean cheesecake. You are compelled to read and discover what all the hubbub is about.

Well, hubba to the bubba! “Thirteen Reasons Why” does not disappoint, not even for a page. In fact, there are at least thirteen reasons why parents and teens should read the book.

Teenager Hannah Baker commits suicide. Although her death precedes the start of the book, she leaves behind seven cassette tapes on which she narrates the thirteen reasons why she chose to end her life. Each reason is a story. Each story is directed at a different person in her high school and details their actions (or lack of) that contributed to her decision to die. Hannah sets it up so that each person receives the cassette tapes after her death. One at a time. In the order that they appear on the tapes.

The book alternates between Hannah’s reasons as heard on the cassette tapes and Clay Jensen, the ninth person to receive them. Clay is a nice boy who always had a crush on Hannah. As he listens to the tapes, he grows angry and sickened by the actions of the people in the stories before him, as well as confused and worried about what part he may have played in her death.

The theme of suicide in YA novels isn’t new, and it isn’t what makes this book stand out. Not for necessarily for younger teen readers, the book details teen alcohol use, bullying, mean girl drama, and even rape. As standalone incidents, a few of the stories Hannah tells seem like a normal, albeit unpleasant, teenage experience. The boy who lies about how far he got on a date. The guy who tries to cop a feel. While both are despicable, you’d be hard pressed to find many teenagers who haven’t been guilty of or experienced the same.

However, for Hannah, each incident leads to the next. Each story is connected to the one that follows. In the story, it’s referred to as a snowball effect. That’s exactly what it is. In the end, Hannah feels crushed by the snowball, and sees no other way out.

“Thirteen Reasons Why” gives teens powerful insight into how their actions can affect others, but it doesn’t stop there. Let’s face it. The use of cassette tapes is an odd choice for the 2007 book when video or other digital recording methods would have been the go-to method for most teens. But the use of cassette tapes serves a purpose by stirring up memories for an audience decades-removed from the teenage years, perhaps helping them to relate to what kids face today.

It’s a book that teens should be encouraged to read. If you’re a parent, it’s a book you should read. ( )
  coffeeNoSugar | Apr 10, 2017 |
This book was OK. I had heard such great things, but was a little disappointed when I read it. I got pretty angry with the concept because I do not believe anyone can cause another person to take their own life. I do however understand how certain events can lead to the feelings the main character had. The book got better as it progressed and my feelings of anger diminshed some.

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible