To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

To the Lighthouse (1927)

by Virginia Woolf

1920s (14)
Romans (30)

English (165)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (174)
This was an unrelenting richness that I could enjoy only in small segments before feeling overwhelmed.
I should very much like to see Lily Briscoe's painting. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Definitely a book for adults. At first, I didn't see what was so different about it, but the talented Ms. Woolf definitely hooked me with the realness of her story.

Ok -- I have to admit that the above is how I felt after I had listened to it, but I wanted to actually read this for book club -- and I really struggled with it. Oh well... ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The very stone one kicks with one's boot will outlast Shakespeare.

I'm trying to think of something to say about To the Lighthouse that adequately sums up how I felt about it. And I can't. It's often been noted that it is so much harder to articulate how you feel about a book that resonates with you on every level, than it is to criticise. And it's probably true enough. Because I can't think of anything so beautiful to say as would encapsulate the feelings engendered in me by this tale, this meditation on parenthood and longing and the road not taken – and the road that has been. There's just nothing.

If you need a book to help you exorcise some ghosts, this is it.

I give To the Lighthouse ten out of ten.
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
To The Lighthouse

by Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
-----------

audio - full cast dramatization (BBC Radio Classics)

considered autobiographical

considered modernist literature (origins in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) primarily in Europe and North America.

Modernism in literature is characterized by an intentional break with traditional styles of poetry and verse.
It expresses belief that the world is created in the act of perceiving it; that is, the world is what we say it is.

Concerned with the stream of consciousness, we (the reader) listen to her characters' "perception of the moment"
We visit their emotional responses to what they see.
We're given the opportunity to understand people when they are engaged in the art of looking. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 31, 2016 |
The very stone one kicks with one's boot will outlast Shakespeare.

If you need a book to help you exorcise some ghosts, this is it.

I give To the Lighthouse ten out of ten.
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
How was it that, this time, everything in the book fell so completely into place? How could I have missed it - above all, the patterns, the artistry - the first time through? How could I have missed the resonance of Mr Ramsay's Tennyson quotation, coming as it does like a prophecy of the first world war? How could I not have grasped that the person painting and the one writing were in effect the same? ("Women can't write, women can't paint..." ) And the way time passes over everything like a cloud, and solid objects flicker and dissolve? And the way Lily's picture of Mrs Ramsay - incomplete, insufficient, doomed to be stuck in an attic - becomes, as she adds the one line that ties it all together at the end, the book we've just read?

"To the Lighthouse" has not the formal perfection, the cohesiveness, the intense vividness of characterization that belong to "Mrs. Dalloway." It has particles of failure in it. It is inferior to "Mrs. Dalloway" in the degree to which its aims are achieved; it is superior in the magnitude of the aims themselves. For in its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration, it strikes a more important note, and it gives us an interlude of vision that must stand at the head of all Virginia Woolf's work.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mathias, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McNichol, StellaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munck, IngalisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yes, of course, if it's fine tomorrow," said Mrs. Ramsay. "But you'll have to be up with the lark," she added.
She was thinking how all those paths and the lawn, tick and knotted with the lives they had lived there, were gone: were rubbed out; were past; were unreal, and now this was real

“Radiant as [To the Lighthouse] is in its beauty, there could never be a mistake about it: here is a novel to the last degree severe and uncompromising. I think that beyond being about the very nature of reality, it is itself a vision of reality.”—Eudora Welty, from the Introduction

The serene and maternal Mrs. Ramsay, the tragic yet absurd Mr. Ramsay, and their children and assorted guests are on holiday on the Isle of Skye. From the seemingly trivial postponement of a visit to a nearby lighthouse, Woolf constructs a remarkable, moving examination of the complex tensions and allegiances of family life and the conflict between men and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:28 -0400)

At their holiday home in Cornwall, a distant lighthouse holds a haunting attraction for the members of an Edwardian family as disillusionment, turmoil, and a world on the brink of war plague the family's relationships.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183411, 0141194812, 0141198516

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175676, 190917548X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible