dismiss

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

To the Lighthouse (1927)

by Virginia Woolf

14,631220262 (3.88)740
At their second home on the Isle of Skye, the Ramsay family surrounds itself with friends and colleagues. They contend with World War I, family deaths, and hardships both spoken and unspoken. All the while, the lighthouse looms in the distance. Six-year-old James asks his father to take him there, but many years will pass before the voyage begins.… (more)
1920s (11)
Romans (30)

English (203)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (220)
Woolf's strange use of time was effective in result albeit uninteresting. Her characters are similar, in that their psychologies are (sporadically) interesting even if they aren't. Perhaps this isn't my kind of book; I got very little out of it. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
Read 2017, favourite. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 14, 2020 |
To the Lighthouse is the perfect book to read in school. I can't imagine anyone reading this book for fun, but it's obviously important as an achievement in literary innovation, so having high schoolers read it slowly and deliberately is without a doubt the way to go.

Modernist literature isn't my thing. Feel free to call me mawkish, but so much of modernist writing feels cold to me. It's as if these authors are alien doctors taking very detailed notes on humans, and they've done a very thorough job in documenting everything without really connecting with any of it. This might be a crummy analogy, but it's kind of like if I took the Christian Bible in its original Greek and, rather than translating it to English, I just figured out how to correctly pronounce the words and then read it out loud to a bunch of English speakers. Yeah, every word I'm saying is legitimate, but that doesn't matter if I'm making no effort to further interpret it, and then what could the audience possibly get out of it?

Now that I've gotten my tantrum out of the way, it's worth acknowledging that To the Lighthouse has a ton of literary merit, and is in many ways an exception to what I've written above. The prose is excellent, and the middle passage especially (called Time Passes) is a nice reflection on the ephemerality of human existence. Unfortunately, through no fault of its own, it just isn't my style. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
823.912 WOO
  alessandragg | Apr 17, 2020 |
One of the best books I've ever read. I was able to exactly follow Virginia's thoughts and reasoning; the characters are strongly impressed upon my mind. They are portrayed with a vivacity that places them at the same time both strongly within the sacred realm of art, and also with a flesh-and-bone matter-of-fact intensity shows them among us, omnipresent, we identify. Her language...every word is in its proper place, with a measured intensity to achieve the precise effect as desired. The style is alive, eloquent, it feels like the sentences are waves and ripples on the surface of the sea, and calm as it may seem on the outside, the turmoils beneath the surface are precipitated to the most careful measure in the readers' minds.
It tranquilizes, it disturbs, it gets one thinking and feeling. I know I brandish the word "perfect" very often, the way all people who know perfection doesn't exist do, but this book is as close to perfect as humanly possible.
"To the Lighthouse" is the prime example of the art life should imitate in order to be beautiful. ( )
  ViktorijaB93 | Apr 10, 2020 |
How was it that, this time, everything in the book fell so completely into place? How could I have missed it - above all, the patterns, the artistry - the first time through? How could I have missed the resonance of Mr Ramsay's Tennyson quotation, coming as it does like a prophecy of the first world war? How could I not have grasped that the person painting and the one writing were in effect the same? ("Women can't write, women can't paint..." ) And the way time passes over everything like a cloud, and solid objects flicker and dissolve? And the way Lily's picture of Mrs Ramsay - incomplete, insufficient, doomed to be stuck in an attic - becomes, as she adds the one line that ties it all together at the end, the book we've just read?

"To the Lighthouse" has not the formal perfection, the cohesiveness, the intense vividness of characterization that belong to "Mrs. Dalloway." It has particles of failure in it. It is inferior to "Mrs. Dalloway" in the degree to which its aims are achieved; it is superior in the magnitude of the aims themselves. For in its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration, it strikes a more important note, and it gives us an interlude of vision that must stand at the head of all Virginia Woolf's work.

Woolf, VirginiaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zazo, Anna LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yes, of course, if it's fine tomorrow," said Mrs. Ramsay. "But you'll have to be up with the lark," she added.
She was thinking how all those paths and the lawn, tick and knotted with the lives they had lived there, were gone: were rubbed out; were past; were unreal, and now this was real

Μια οικογένεια, μερικοί φίλοι, ένα παραθαλάσσιο σπίτι στις Εβρίδες και ένας φάρος συνθέτουν το πιο αυτοβιογραφικό μυθιστόρημα της Γουλφ, "Μέχρι το φάρο". Ο κύριος και η κυρία Ράμσεϊ και τα οκτώ παιδιά τους είναι η οικογένεια της Γουλφ. Το σπίτι, που από τα παράθυρά του βλέπει κανείς το φάρο, είναι το εξοχικό σπίτι των παιδικών της χρόνων, μόνο που εκείνο βρισκόταν στην Κορνουάλη και όχι στη Σκωτία.
Απελευθερωμένη από την κλασική δομή του μυθιστορήματος, όπως ο Μαρσέλ Προυστ ή ο Τζέιμς Τζόις, η Γουλφ δεν δίνει βάρος στην πλοκή. Η ιστορία της εκδρομής στον φάρο είναι η αφορμή για να αναδυθούν σκέψεις, σχέσεις, κοσμοθεωρίες, συναισθήματα. Δύο μόνο ημέρες - με απόσταση μεταξύ τους μιας δεκαετίας, ενός παγκοσμίου πολέμου και τριών θανάτων - διαρκεί η εκπληκτική διείσδυση της συγγραφέως στους χαρακτήρες και στις συνειδήσεις των ηρώων της. Δεν υπάρχει αμφιβολία ότι η εκκολαπτόμενη ζωγράφος Λίλυ είναι η Βιρτζίνια. Η Λίλυ παρατηρεί την οικογένεια Ράμσεϊ από την απόσταση της φίλης, αν και τα στοργικά της αισθήματα προς την κυρία Ράμσεϊ την επηρεάζουν ψυχικά, τουλάχιστον ως λίγο πριν από το τέλος του βιβλίου. Η μαεστρία της Γουλφ επεκτείνεται στην αναβάθμιση άψυχων πραγμάτων, όπως το σπίτι και ο φάρος, σε σχεδόν αυτεξούσιες οντότητες. Σημαντικό ρόλο επίσης παίζει ο χρόνος και το πέρασμά του. Το παρόν γίνεται αμέσως παρελθόν, σκέφτεται η κυρία Ράμσεϊ. Το μέλλον αγχώνει τον κύριο Ράμσεϊ, όπως και τη Λίλυ, αλλά μόνο ως τη στιγμή της καλλιτεχνικής της ολοκλήρωσης. Ένα από τα αριστουργήματα της παγκόσμιας λογοτεχνίας του 20ού αιώνα.

(εφημερίδα "La Repubblica", Italia)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woolf, Virginia, 1882-1941.
Μέχρι το φάρο / Βιρτζίνια Γουλφ · μετάφραση Έλλη Μαρμαρά. - Αθήνα : Alter - Ego ΜΜΕ Α.Ε., 2007. - 219σ. · 21x13εκ. - (Το Βήμα Βιβλιοθήκη· Ανάγνωση · 5)
gre
Επανέκδοση: "Οδυσσέας", 1981, 2006. Copyright έκδοσης: Metropoli Spa (Gruppo Editoriale L' Espresso). Εκτύπωση & βιβλιοδεσία: Grafica Veneta Spa, Italy. Ημερομηνία 1ης κυκλοφορίας: 15.6.2007.
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: To the Lighthouse
ISBN 978-88-8371-279-1 (Πανόδετο) [Εξαντλημένο]
823.912

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183411, 0141194812, 0141198516

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175676, 190917548X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,490,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible