Orlando; a biography. by Virginia Woolf

Orlando; a biography. (1927)

by Virginia Woolf

1920s (12)
Romans (30)

English (177)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (186)
I had close to the same feeling about these characters as I had to the ones in The Age of Innocence, which is to say, close to none. The writing here, however, was much better, as it seems to me, so there's that. ( )
  electrascaife | Nov 25, 2017 |
Loneliness. Oh so much loneliness. "We all die alone", maybe not written like that verbatim, is said again and again in this book. Which, don't get me wrong, is something I'm always looking for. Heck, that's possibly half the reason I love William T. Vollmann so much. I had big expectations for To the Lighthouse, as Mrs. Dalloway is (hopefully not for long) still the only female-author book I have rated 5/5 stars on this website. I was hoping To the Lighthouse would also make me jump out of my seat with pure joy as Dalloway had. But it didn't. This book is... hmmm, I don't know how to put it. It requires more attention, and the topics are perhaps deeper, more philosophical. It's slower, without necessarily being boring. I suppose the best way to describe it is, if you've ever sat on a beach and contemplated "What does it all mean?", meanwhile also thinking about so-and-so and what's-her-face, and also just watching the waves and loving/abhoring the moment... then this book is for you :D ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Not much of a plot in this work of dreamy prose. But still worth a read, if just to suck from the marrow of these sentences. Being a short work one, can read it over and over again., ( )
  charlie68 | Oct 20, 2017 |
I feel like I need cliff notes and a college level lecture on this one. There was just so much going on in this...every sentence heavy with meaning and infused with hidden feeling. The inner lives of Edwardians who perhaps grew up in the Victorian era...so repressed and filled with the expectations of society, struggling not to be themselves, but to even find themselves in the first place. ( )
1 vote lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
2.5 stars

Woolf writes beautifully, but I think the form of her novel just isn't for me. ( )
  fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
How was it that, this time, everything in the book fell so completely into place? How could I have missed it - above all, the patterns, the artistry - the first time through? How could I have missed the resonance of Mr Ramsay's Tennyson quotation, coming as it does like a prophecy of the first world war? How could I not have grasped that the person painting and the one writing were in effect the same? ("Women can't write, women can't paint..." ) And the way time passes over everything like a cloud, and solid objects flicker and dissolve? And the way Lily's picture of Mrs Ramsay - incomplete, insufficient, doomed to be stuck in an attic - becomes, as she adds the one line that ties it all together at the end, the book we've just read?

"To the Lighthouse" has not the formal perfection, the cohesiveness, the intense vividness of characterization that belong to "Mrs. Dalloway." It has particles of failure in it. It is inferior to "Mrs. Dalloway" in the degree to which its aims are achieved; it is superior in the magnitude of the aims themselves. For in its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration, it strikes a more important note, and it gives us an interlude of vision that must stand at the head of all Virginia Woolf's work.

Woolf, VirginiaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Phelps, GilbertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richards, CeriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yes, of course, if it's fine tomorrow," said Mrs. Ramsay. "But you'll have to be up with the lark," she added.
She was thinking how all those paths and the lawn, tick and knotted with the lives they had lived there, were gone: were rubbed out; were past; were unreal, and now this was real

“Radiant as [To the Lighthouse] is in its beauty, there could never be a mistake about it: here is a novel to the last degree severe and uncompromising. I think that beyond being about the very nature of reality, it is itself a vision of reality.”—Eudora Welty, from the Introduction

The serene and maternal Mrs. Ramsay, the tragic yet absurd Mr. Ramsay, and their children and assorted guests are on holiday on the Isle of Skye. From the seemingly trivial postponement of a visit to a nearby lighthouse, Woolf constructs a remarkable, moving examination of the complex tensions and allegiances of family life and the conflict between men and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:28 -0400)

At their holiday home in Cornwall, a distant lighthouse holds a haunting attraction for the members of an Edwardian family as disillusionment, turmoil, and a world on the brink of war plague the family's relationships.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183411, 0141194812, 0141198516

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175676, 190917548X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,603,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible