To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics)…

To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2000)

by Virginia Woolf, Stella McNichol (Editor), Hermione Lee (Editor)

Member:yannie
Title:To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Virginia Woolf
Other authors:Stella McNichol (Editor), Hermione Lee (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2000), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:To read

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (1927)

English (142)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (149)
I read this book less than two years ago, but I barely remember it- the sole scene I can pluck from my mind is of a character describing an impressionist style painting. I've looked at the books I read around when I read this one and every one has stuck with me to a greater degree than To The Lighthouse, even the books I didn't much care for are present more vividly than this one.

So for better or worse my assessment of this book is that it is almost completely forgettable. ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |
Thuddingly slow, I really struggled to connect with this book. For all its reputation as a deep, thoughtful piece of writing, it seemed to me preoccupied with women and how they find husbands - or how sad it is when they don't. ( )
  alexrichman | Dec 7, 2014 |
My desk has left the building,
No recourse left but:
Phone haiku review.

(Actually free verse, but the above was at least. Since my desk is AWOL literally, I whipped out a verse in 5 mins)

Luminous little lamps
Hanging in a dark, stormfreshed sky.
Each one a tawny word illuminating a melancholy thought. She looks so sad, white and beautiful in the light from these little lights, which upon a closer look, reveal themselves not stars, but tiny pale moons. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
Not my cup of tea at all. Although I can appreciate stream-of-consciousness as a literary technique, I don't like it as a replacement for plot, character development, conflict, climax, etc. Although the technique was revelatory of character at least internal character, I could not bring myself to care about any of them. Funny, but the limited scope and the overwhelming self-involvement of the thing makes it very timely and relevant to the myopic self-interest exhibited in today's society. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
The very stone one kicks with one's boot will outlast Shakespeare.

I'm trying to think of something to say about To the Lighthouse that adequately sums up how I felt about it. And I can't. It's often been noted that it is so much harder to articulate how you feel about a book that resonates with you on every level, than it is to criticise. And it's probably true enough. Because I can't think of anything so beautiful to say as would encapsulate the feelings engendered in me by this tale, this meditation on parenthood and longing and the road not taken – and the road that has been. There's just nothing.

If you need a book to help you exorcise some ghosts, this is it.

I give To the Lighthouse ten out of ten.
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
How was it that, this time, everything in the book fell so completely into place? How could I have missed it - above all, the patterns, the artistry - the first time through? How could I have missed the resonance of Mr Ramsay's Tennyson quotation, coming as it does like a prophecy of the first world war? How could I not have grasped that the person painting and the one writing were in effect the same? ("Women can't write, women can't paint..." ) And the way time passes over everything like a cloud, and solid objects flicker and dissolve? And the way Lily's picture of Mrs Ramsay - incomplete, insufficient, doomed to be stuck in an attic - becomes, as she adds the one line that ties it all together at the end, the book we've just read?

"To the Lighthouse" has not the formal perfection, the cohesiveness, the intense vividness of characterization that belong to "Mrs. Dalloway." It has particles of failure in it. It is inferior to "Mrs. Dalloway" in the degree to which its aims are achieved; it is superior in the magnitude of the aims themselves. For in its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration, it strikes a more important note, and it gives us an interlude of vision that must stand at the head of all Virginia Woolf's work.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mathias, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munck, IngalisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yes, of course, if it's fine tomorrow," said Mrs. Ramsay. "But you'll have to be up with the lark," she added.
She was thinking how all those paths and the lawn, tick and knotted with the lives they had lived there, were gone: were rubbed out; were past; were unreal, and now this was real

“Radiant as [To the Lighthouse] is in its beauty, there could never be a mistake about it: here is a novel to the last degree severe and uncompromising. I think that beyond being about the very nature of reality, it is itself a vision of reality.”—Eudora Welty, from the Introduction

The serene and maternal Mrs. Ramsay, the tragic yet absurd Mr. Ramsay, and their children and assorted guests are on holiday on the Isle of Skye. From the seemingly trivial postponement of a visit to a nearby lighthouse, Woolf constructs a remarkable, moving examination of the complex tensions and allegiances of family life and the conflict between men and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

At their holiday home in Cornwall, a distant lighthouse holds a haunting attraction for the members of an Edwardian family as disillusionment, turmoil, and a world on the brink of war plague the family's relationships.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183411, 0141194812, 0141198516

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175676, 190917548X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible