To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics)…

To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1927; edition 2000)

by Virginia Woolf, Stella McNichol (Editor), Hermione Lee (Editor)

Member:yannie
Title:To the Lighthouse (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Virginia Woolf
Other authors:Stella McNichol (Editor), Hermione Lee (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2000), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:To read

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (1927)

English (149)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (157)
Eis uma prosa brilhante que logo me fez perder a paciência, por causa do uso distorcido da gramática, da auto-consciência de permeio e da cleverness absorta. Nem cheguei a terminar a leitura - epítome da subjetividade na escrita, especialmente para os menos acostumados ao estilo fluxo da consciência. Uma verdadeira viagem ao ego, ao foco da consciência. Realmente não entendo porque Woolf seja considerada uma tão grande autora. Minha teoria é o fenômeno do "é ininteligível, deve prestar". Como (no cinema) David Lynch, como Fellini 8 1/2. Woolf, em O Farol, não faz muito sentido. Em Mrs Dalloway e Orlando, ela faz. Mas tampouco sou chegado a temas vazados na neurose humana, de que este livro principalmente se farta. Alguns dirão que sou um homem das cavernas com medo da complexidade. Não é verdade. Aprecio as complexidades. Aprecio-as duplamente quando equacionadas mais criativamente. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
My friend Alexis and I were exchanging opinions on Virginia Woolf, which reminded me to review this, one of my favorite books from our college syllabus. I recommend it over Mrs. Dalloway if you'd like a taste of Woolf. Alexis also recommends Orlando, which I haven't read.

Although both To the Lighthouse and Mrs. D. are written in the stream-of-consciousness style for which Woolf is famous, I connected with To the Lighthouse on a visceral level while Mrs. D's middle-aged inter-war ruminations on preparing for a dinner party left me cold.

On the Isle of Skye, a rift arises between Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay over a disagreement about whether to visit the lighthouse. Ten years later, after the war has begun and ended, and Mrs. Ramsay has passed away, Prue has died in childbirth and James in the war, painter Lily accompanies Mr. Ramsay and the remaining family members to attempt the journey once more. The novel is concerned with thought, loss, and perception, especially perception of others. Read it to examine your own inner life, your perceptions of loss, and the vast intractable tundras that separate you from the secret inner lives of others. Read it to learn how to write, lyrically.

I've had to change my rating from four stars to five because I realized that some of its descriptions have never left me, and have appeared unbidden during an afternoon on the beach, or a rainy family reunion, so familiar now that I forgot that I co-opted my flitting emotions from this novel.

Sarah_Beaudette | Apr 13, 2015 |
I absolutely loved some parts of this book, but others just didn't do anything for me at all. Beautiful writing, particularly in the "Time Passes" interlude at the center of the book ... and I'm sure others find much more to admire here than I could. ( )
  JBD1 | Mar 29, 2015 |
How was it that, this time, everything in the book fell so completely into place? How could I have missed it - above all, the patterns, the artistry - the first time through? How could I have missed the resonance of Mr Ramsay's Tennyson quotation, coming as it does like a prophecy of the first world war? How could I not have grasped that the person painting and the one writing were in effect the same? ("Women can't write, women can't paint..." ) And the way time passes over everything like a cloud, and solid objects flicker and dissolve? And the way Lily's picture of Mrs Ramsay - incomplete, insufficient, doomed to be stuck in an attic - becomes, as she adds the one line that ties it all together at the end, the book we've just read?

"To the Lighthouse" has not the formal perfection, the cohesiveness, the intense vividness of characterization that belong to "Mrs. Dalloway." It has particles of failure in it. It is inferior to "Mrs. Dalloway" in the degree to which its aims are achieved; it is superior in the magnitude of the aims themselves. For in its portrayal of life that is less orderly, more complex and so much doomed to frustration, it strikes a more important note, and it gives us an interlude of vision that must stand at the head of all Virginia Woolf's work.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mathias, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munck, IngalisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welty, EudoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yes, of course, if it's fine tomorrow," said Mrs. Ramsay. "But you'll have to be up with the lark," she added.
She was thinking how all those paths and the lawn, tick and knotted with the lives they had lived there, were gone: were rubbed out; were past; were unreal, and now this was real

“Radiant as [To the Lighthouse] is in its beauty, there could never be a mistake about it: here is a novel to the last degree severe and uncompromising. I think that beyond being about the very nature of reality, it is itself a vision of reality.”—Eudora Welty, from the Introduction

The serene and maternal Mrs. Ramsay, the tragic yet absurd Mr. Ramsay, and their children and assorted guests are on holiday on the Isle of Skye. From the seemingly trivial postponement of a visit to a nearby lighthouse, Woolf constructs a remarkable, moving examination of the complex tensions and allegiances of family life and the conflict between men and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

At their holiday home in Cornwall, a distant lighthouse holds a haunting attraction for the members of an Edwardian family as disillusionment, turmoil, and a world on the brink of war plague the family's relationships.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183411, 0141194812, 0141198516

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175676, 190917548X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,737,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible