Death of a Nag by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Nag (1995)

by M. C. Beaton

English (7)  German (1)  All (8)
Hamish Macbeth, constable of a small Scottish village, seeks to get away from his friends and neighbors by visiting a remote seaside resort. However, he finds himself in a dismal boarding house in which one of the other guests is what most people would refer to as a verbally abusive husband. The characters in the book call him a "nag." When Hamish finds this nasty man's dead body, he is the prime suspect, having punched the man earlier after Hamish interfered in a "domestic dispute" between the man and his wife. As usual with Hamish Macbeth novels, this one is light on plot, heavy on Hamish getting himself into embarrassing situations and has a wonderful twist ending (although I've read enough of these to spot the likely murderer pretty quickly). Due to the subject matter of domestic abuse, I felt this particular book in the series was a little troubling. This just isn't the type of novel that lends itself to careful dissection of psychological motives or relationships. Definitely light reading, but entertaining. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
I agree with vivl, sexist. Turned me off of M. C. Beaton. The ignorance ruined the entertainment. ( )
  jjjoanne | Jun 5, 2016 |
Hamish is feeling unappreciated, so goes off on holiday to a rather seedy, holiday hotel. Unsurprisingly, murder follows him. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I don't think I'll be reading Beaton again on the basis of this, unless I'm presented with convincing evidence to change my mind. Sexist and unpleasant. Yikes. I'd rather retain my memories of the extraordinarily good TV series intact. ( )
1 vote Vivl | Apr 8, 2013 |
Our Hamish decides to take a holiday on the Scottish coast at a little village that goes by the name of Skag. He books into a B &B called 'The Friendly House', a misnomer if ever there was one. The other guests are a varied bunch who include a nagging husband and his wife together with a spinsterish retired school teacher and several other misfits. After a bad start,Hamish gathers most of the guests together and most of them begin to enjoy themselves. Until that is one of them gets murdered.
Quite an enjoyable,light and easy read. ( )
  devenish | Jul 11, 2012 |
Hamish Macbeth awoke to another day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446403393, Mass Market Paperback)

After his engagement is broken, Constable Hamish Macbeth is looking forward to rest and relaxation in the coastal town of Skay. But when he arrives at the somewhat dismal bed and breakfast, his fellow guests include the annoying Miss Gunnery, a London family, and Bob Harris, who so nags his wife that everyone wants to kill him. And then someone does.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

In a Scottish seaside resort, policeman Hamish MacBeth, is having a depressing holiday. The food is dreadful and the man in the adjoining room won't stop nagging his wife. Things liven up, however, when strolling on the beach MacBeth discovers the husband's body floating in the water.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,629,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible