Death of a Nag by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Nag (1995)

by M. C. Beaton

I don't think I'll be reading Beaton again on the basis of this, unless I'm presented with convincing evidence to change my mind. Sexist and unpleasant. Yikes. I'd rather retain my memories of the extraordinarily good TV series intact. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 8, 2013 |
Our Hamish decides to take a holiday on the Scottish coast at a little village that goes by the name of Skag. He books into a B &B called 'The Friendly House', a misnomer if ever there was one. The other guests are a varied bunch who include a nagging husband and his wife together with a spinsterish retired school teacher and several other misfits. After a bad start,Hamish gathers most of the guests together and most of them begin to enjoy themselves. Until that is one of them gets murdered.
Quite an enjoyable,light and easy read. ( )
  devenish | Jul 11, 2012 |
I couldn’t find this eleventh book in the Hamish MacBeth series anywhere in print (except for a couple way-too-expensive used copies) so decided to download the audio version free from the library. The author’s voice was kind of annoying but it was a short book and I got used to it after awhile. I found with this book that I did not figure out the murderer early on as I often do with these MacBeth books—perhaps since I was listening and not *seeing the words* I lost some advantage there? I don’t know, but doing an audiobook did end up being a nice change and let me catch up by an additional book in the series without the side effect of being “too much Hamish” so soon after having read the previous book. Hamish is off to a small town boarding house for a holiday to recover from his broken engagement to Priscilla and the scorn of the Lochdubh villagers. Of course he ends up involved in a murder case when one of the boarding house guests, an obnoxious man that Hamish himself punched out the day before, ends up dead. And I learned how to pronounce "Lochdubh" as well. LOL In the end, I did enjoy the story although a beloved member of the usual cast of characters dies in the book. ( )
  Spuddie | Sep 26, 2008 |
From Booklist
Beaton's Hamish MacBeth stories are always good, but the latest is a standout. The plot is even better than usual, the characters are more engaging, and even the mostly dour and serious Hamish is funnier and more likable than usual. Hamish and the ravishing Priscilla Halburton-Smythe have ended their long engagement, and the townsfolk blame Hamish. To escape Lochdubh's wagging tongues, Hamish embarks on a short vacation at Friendly House, a bed-and-breakfast in the seaside resort of Skag. But instead of the relaxation and solitude he sought, Hamish finds he's involved in yet another murder case. The victim is a drunken, mean-spirited fellow lodger at Friendly House, and Hamish figures the murderer is most likely also on the guest list. Patient, stolid Hamish uses brains, intuition, and a keen understanding of human nature--as well as plenty of shoe leather--to ferret out the unlikely killer. A fine, well-told police procedural with plenty of human interest, Beaton's latest will appeal to a wide range of mystery fans. Emily Melton
  ByrningBunny | Jun 19, 2007 |
Hamish Macbeth awoke to another day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446403393, Mass Market Paperback)

After his engagement is broken, Constable Hamish Macbeth is looking forward to rest and relaxation in the coastal town of Skay. But when he arrives at the somewhat dismal bed and breakfast, his fellow guests include the annoying Miss Gunnery, a London family, and Bob Harris, who so nags his wife that everyone wants to kill him. And then someone does.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:41 -0400)

In a Scottish seaside resort, policeman Hamish MacBeth, is having a depressing holiday. The food is dreadful and the man in the adjoining room won't stop nagging his wife. Things liven up, however, when strolling on the beach MacBeth discovers the husband's body floating in the water.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,393,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible