Don't Shoot, It's Only Me by Bob…

Don't Shoot, It's Only Me (edition 1990)

by Bob Hope, Melville Shavelson (Collaborator)

Title:Don't Shoot, It's Only Me
Authors:Bob Hope
Other authors:Melville Shavelson (Collaborator)
Info:Putnam Adult (1990), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 315 pages

Don't Shoot, It's Only Me by Bob Hope

A book written by a comedian was one of the categories for the 2016 Reading Challenge. And I expected it to be funny, since it was written by one of my favorite funny guys. However, it is a history of the US and his experiences from 1938 - 1990. It did make me laugh, but it also made me cry. It's especially poignant since I've finished reading it on July 4th, the day we celebrate our country's birth. It underscores what I've believed since military 'advisers' were sent to Vietnam: hatred in it's many forms is the enemy to freedom. If you hate someone because of their beliefs, background, religion, color, etc. you are taking away your own freedom as well as theirs. From 1938 - 1990, Hope and his Gypsies visited people in the military engaged in wars, both declared and undeclared. He brought them a bit of home and the reminder that they were supported even if that particular military action was not. Each year he wanted his Christmas with the troops to be the last performance for the military because there was peace in the world. Peace still hasn't arrived; it's that Christmas present we're all hoping to receive. ( )
  DrLed | Jun 20, 2016 |
* Inherited from Mum's shelves.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
One of the funniest books I have ever read. I was practically having an asthma attack I was laughing so much ( )
  Carole.Dent | Dec 31, 2012 |
A combo biography of Bob and the USO. A good read, light and fun. Even tho he's going from war to war, it's not overly depressing. ( )
  maquisleader | Feb 17, 2008 |
This covers Bob Hope's military service from 1938 through 1990. His service to the troops. Lots of history in here, as interpreted and seen by Bob Hope. He plays down what he did, yet you get a pretty good idea of his affection for the soldiers and his effect on their morale.Towards the end, in talking about Vietnam, it's uncanny in its resemblance to the war in Iraq. Of course, we knew it would be. This book is full of Hope's dry humor, and he names names as to the people who made him so popular, his writers. I think it is a valuable insight into history, giving glimpses of events from a different perspective. That of a man trying to help others and himself survive by providing a little laughter. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Sep 15, 2007 |

Bob Hopeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shavelson, Melvillemain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the men and women of the armed forces of the United

States and its Allies, the greatest audience a performer

ever had; to their families, who also served; to my own

family, who waited and sometimes worried; to all the stars

and entertainers who willingly went wherever they were

needed; to the USO, which extended vaudeville to every

corner of the globe; and to the peace that seems finally to

have broken out in the hearts of men.

Bob Hope's story of being there with the jokes at every vital point during the last half century of America's history.

Legacy Library: Bob Hope

Bob Hope has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bob Hope's legacy profile.

See Bob Hope's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,828,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible