dismiss

Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery

Rainbow Valley (original 1919; edition 1919)

by L. M. Montgomery

The grown-up Anne of Green Gables, her husband, and their six children live in a special hideaway known as Rainbow Valley.
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Rainbow Valley
Authors:L. M. Montgomery
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1919), Hardcover
Rating:**1/2
Tags:young adult, fiction, family, history, 1900s, canada, series: anne shirley

Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery (1919)

I remember reading Rainbow Valley when I was a kid and enjoying it, but not loving it. I still have that same issue today.

This is technically the 7th book in the Anne of Green Gables series. However, it was the fifth book published. L.M. Montgomery went back later and wrote Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. I think that is why I often felt as if Anne of Ingleside was more dark than the earlier books in the series.

This novel though it proclaims it is an Anne of Green Gable book really has very little Anne or Gilbert. We now have Anne a mother of six children (3 boys and 3 girls) and still quite in love with Gilbert. However, most of the text follows the Ingleside's new neighbors, the Meredith family.

The father is a minister who is still reeling from the loss of his wife and is doing his very best to raise his children in less than ideal conditions. We quickly see that each of the Meredith children (Jerry, Faith, Una, and Carl) have found themselves to be awe struck by the Ingleside children and one can imagine them as teenagers.

The main reason why I marked this down two stars was the following:

One, I really don't recall dislike Susan (Ingleside housekeeper) this much as a child, but I really found that she rubbed me the wrong way in this book. Perhaps if I had not read "Rilla of Ingleside" and "The Blythes Are Quoted" after this novel I maybe would not have had the urge to shake the character. We do find out that she has maternal feelings to the youngest Blythe son (Shirley) due to her nursing him since Anne was ill for several months after his birth. That is all well and good. However, you definitely see that he is her favorite and she dislikes anything that Anne or Gilbert do to discipline him though she doesn't care about what they do with the other children. That and her constant warbling about Walter (second oldest Blythe son) writing poems and her implying that he was not really a "man" was just awful. I am sure that was the prevailing attitude back then, but it did not make it any easier to read.

Second, I have read I believe the majority of the short stories that L.M. Montgomery published. In many of them she has a number of themes she often returns to in these stories. The main storyline between John Meredith and Rosemary West was just that same storyline repeated in a longer novel. She often wrote short stories about one sister promising never to marry and the other sister holding her to it. I had forgotten that particular storyline until I re-read this the other day and I was dissatisfied by it since as I said I felt like I read the same story by L.M. Montgomery numerous times.

All in all a good read for those that want to catch up (as much as they can) with Gilbert, Anne, and their children. Also it is the last "cheerful" book in the series since Rilla of Ingleside was much darker in tone and subject manner. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It focused on the manse children, but I loved the insights into the characters that the book gave. I was laughing at their antics and wincing whenever they got into trouble. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
4.0 stars ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
Although Anne only made brief appearances in this book, I did enjoy "Rainbow Valley". The focused moved from the Blythes to their neighbours, Mr Meredith and his mother children who were basically raising themselves. The Meredith children were a boisterous and fun-loving group and were always getting into mishaps. However, they were cheerful, kind and good-natured children and I found them charming. I especially liked the youngest girl, Una. She was an old soul with big, serious eyes.

I also enjoyed the romance between Rosemary West and Mr Meredith. It was sweet and endearing, and my favourite part of this book. The end foreshadows the advent of the Great War and finished rather poignantly.

One more book to go! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Nov 8, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 29, 2017 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiherheimo, AlliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Goldwin Lapp, Robert Brookes, and Morley Shier, who made the supreme sacrifice that the happy valleys of their home land might be kept sacred from the ravage of the invader.
It was a clear, apple-green evening in May, and Four Winds
Harbour was mirroring back the clouds of the golden west between
its softly dark shores.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive;

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,643,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible