Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Rosemary's Baby (1967)

by Ira Levin

The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories are quite different, but the books share similar themes. Both books are '70's religious shockers about a young woman moving into a new apartment, set in New York.
    The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty (sturlington)
    The Sand Men by Christopher Fowler (ShelfMonkey)
    The Mephisto Waltz by Fred Mustard Stewart (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Son of Rosemary by Ira Levin (KayCliff)

English (72)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (80)
[a: Ira Levin|8050|Ira Levin|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1195044387p2/8050.jpg] is considered a master of horror fiction, and that is a title that is extremely well deserved. His writing is lean, not a word of it wasted. His plot is carefully crafted, bit by bit building to the final scene and the shock of its reveal. Just about everyone knows the reveal and the story of [b: Rosemary's Baby|228296|Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)|Ira Levin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327878603s/228296.jpg|883024] now. Nevertheless, the novel is still well worth a read and the suspense it builds the work of a master.

Rosemary and Guy have everything they could possibly want. They've moved into a prestigious apartment, and Guy has offers coming in left and right - finally, his acting career is off the ground. To top it all off, Rosemary is pregnant. Nevertheless, in a time that should be full of joy strange things are beginning to happen. The pregnancy is painful, sometimes so painful she can scarcely get out of bed. Guy is becoming distant, and isn't he spending quite a bit of time at the neighbors? Something isn't right, but what is it? Thus is the beginning of one of the best loved books of the horror genre.

Levin's book influenced a great many after, and deservedly so. The book is a great example of the genre and a fine entry point for anyone wanting to give horror a try. It's a perfect quick read that doesn't sacrifice its depth for its brevity. Why not give it a try? ( )
1 vote Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I'm really curious about the sequel, I think it's going to be creepier. It has to, because this one wasn't that scary. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
This novel has been on my TBR list for a very long time. I love me a good horror story, but I'm ashamed to admit that I wasn't able to find the time to fit this book in over the years. Well, since I live right beside my local library, I decided that I would borrow this book and make it my mission to FINALLY get it read!

Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse are an ordinary couple. Guy is in the film industry, trying to make it onto the big screen. And Rosemary is happy to be by his side. When they land an apartment at The Bramford in New York City, it's like a dream come true. As they move in, they begin to meet some of the other tenants in this building, like their elderly neighbours and their bizarre group of friends. Unused to this much interest, Rosemary and Guy try to be polite and accept the occasional dinner invitations. But soon, these neighbours become a much larger force in their lives. And by the time Rosemary realizes the dangers of it all, it's too late...

This story.... where shall I start? The writing style here is unusual yet well done. Everything always sounds just a tad perky, like a happy housewife show where anything unusual is just dismissed as a coincidence or an accident. Rosemary does get creeped out at times but it is usually quite easy for her to just push it aside and move on. I really liked that effect because it put the reader on hyper-alert, waiting for that moment where Rosemary really cannot deny the truth that is in front of her. I liked the interesting characters from the Bramford, all of whom are friendly and seemingly harmless; they're the kind of neighbours you wish you could have! Knowing that they are somehow involved made the story all the more creepy! I didn't really like Guy as a character. He wasn't a great husband and he was just so selfish throughout (this becomes even more apparent as you reach the end); I don't know why Rosemary put up with it all. He did quite a few things that really bothered me - but I'm not going to say what because that will give away parts of the story!

I think the scariest part of this story wasn't even the ending when all of the "horrors" are revealed; truth be told, the ending actually came off as ridiculously funny (maybe I just have a warped sense of humor?). The scary part was how little control Rosemary had over her life and her body. She was forced - ahem, coerced - to switch doctors, trust strangers, receive weird concoctions, isolate her friends, and much much more. And it scared me how little say she had over everything. Anything she pointed out was dismissed, and she was made to feel as if she was making a big deal out of nothing. Trying to imagine myself in a vulnerable situation like that, having others make all sorts of decisions on my behalf without asking me... well, that scares me. It scares me a lot.

Overall, this novel is quirky and set in the era of the "Sixties Housewife", and it definitely gives you the creepy vibes so if you are looking for a creepy story, give this one a shot! ( )
1 vote veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Rosemary's Baby is a dark but fascinating tale that will keep you up at night. One of the things that struck me the most about this novel is how normal things between Rosemary and Guy are, yet there's a disturbing under story that takes place.

Guy and Rosemary haven't been married that long. They move into their dream apartment, the Bramford. Rosemary does normal things like grocery shopping and decorating their apartment while Guy, an actor, goes on auditions. They eat, make love, socialize with friends. All normal day-to-day activities. They meet their neighbors, Roman and Minnie Castavet, who are nosy but sweet. Everything seems normal. Until it isn't.

Rosemary becomes pregnant. This is really the turning point of the novel. Because every mother's fears are realized in Rosemary's pregnancy. Her doctor tells her not to talk to her friends or read any pregnancy books because every pregnancy is different and he doesn't want to alarm her. A true enough statement, except her pregnancy is different. By isolating Rosemary from her friends, family, and knowledge, Rosemary is left naive and vulnerable. Which is exactly where they want her to be. And that makes this book all the more creepy.

Ira Levin seems to know the right buttons to push to make a brutally suspenseful novel that builds slowly and puts you on the edge of your seat. It's no wonder this book has been in print for fifty years. A book about witchcraft and devilry that makes you want to travel with holy water and avoid your neighbors at all cost. I'm not much for horror, but this is an exciting tale.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2017/10/book-to-movie-rosemarys-baby.html#70xqA... ( )
1 vote mt256 | Jan 5, 2018 |
This book and movie are so well known that it may not need a synopsis. But here's a brief one anyway: young wife Rosemary and her husband Guy get very lucky by finding an apartment at the elegant Bramford. The neighbors are pushy but kind elderly people who have lived there for decades and immediately take the young couple under their wing, though Rosemary's friend Hutch warns her about the buildings evil history and warns her not to get too friendly. But living at the Bramford is mostly good, as soon after they arrive, Guy's acting career takes off and Rosemary finds that she's finally pregnant.
For me, the scary parts were very brief, but it's the always present sense of apprehension that permeates the story that makes this an excellent read. ( )
1 vote mstrust | Oct 3, 2017 |
Met de regelmaat van de klok verschijnen de herdrukken van dit boek, dat ook verfilmd is (en nog steeds vertoond wordt). Een jong echtpaar krijgt een flat toegewezen in een oud romantisch flatgebouw in New York, waarover verhalen gaan als zouden er veel zelfmoorden plaatsvinden en heksen en gifmengers wonen. Ze trekken zich hier niets van aan en voelen er zich gelukkig tot de vrouw, Rosemary, plotseling in verwachting raakt. Deze zwangerschap verloopt moeizaam en ze gaat aan de hand van allerlei gebeurtenissen eraan twijfelen of de buren (en ook haar man) die haar met allerlei zorgjes omringen toch niet aan hekserij doen. Het verhaal eindigt dan ook als ze een baby heeft gekregen die als tegenhanger van Christus, de zoon van Satan zou zijn. Nog steeds een boeiend verhaal, maar minder griezelig dan de film. Duidelijke druk op grauw papier.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Levin, Iraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Completed in August 1966, in Wilton, Connecticut, and dedicated to Gabrielle
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse had signed a lease on a five-room apartment in a geometric white house on First Avenue when they received word, from a woman named Mrs. Cortez, that a four-room apartment in the Bramford had become available.

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor-husband, Guy, move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and only elderly residents. Neighbours Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome them; despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband starts spending time with them. Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare; as the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451194004, Mass Market Paperback)

When published in 1967, Rosemary's Baby was one of the first contemporary horror novels to become a national bestseller. Ira Levin's second novel (he went on to write such fine thrillers as A Kiss Before Dying, The Stepford Wives, and The Boys from Brazil), Rosemary's Baby, remains perhaps his best work. The author's mainstream "this is how it really happened" style undeniably also made the novel his most widely imitated. The plot line is deceptively simple: What if you were a happily married young woman, living in New York, and one day you awoke to find yourself pregnant? And what if your loving husband had--apparently--sold your soul to Satan? And now you were beginning to believe that your unborn child was, in reality, the son of Satan? Levin subtly makes it all totally plausible, unless of course, dear Rosemary--or the reader--can no longer distinguish fantasy from reality! A wonderfully chilling novel, it was later faithfully transformed into an equally unnerving motion picture. In 1997, a sequel was spawned, Son of Rosemary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

Witchcraft and terror await Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse when they move into the ominous Bramford apartment building.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,062,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible