Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Rosemary's Baby (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Ira Levin, Otto Penzler (Introduction)

2,261None2,844 (3.78)126
Member:TheLibraryhag
Title:Rosemary's Baby
Authors:Ira Levin
Other authors:Otto Penzler (Introduction)
Info:Pegasus (2010), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Paranormal Library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library book, satanism, horror, book to movie

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (1967)

1960s (16) 20th century (16) American (21) American literature (14) classic (12) devil (19) fantasy (18) fiction (299) horror (426) Ira Levin (13) literature (12) made into movie (21) movie (20) New York (30) New York City (13) novel (61) occult (18) pregnancy (21) read (39) religion (12) Roman (15) Satan (21) Satanism (47) supernatural (23) suspense (24) thriller (50) to-read (42) unread (22) USA (12) witches (12)
    The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories are quite different, but the books share similar themes. Both books are '70's religious shockers about a young woman moving into a new apartment, set in New York.

English (50)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
"'I am not saying,' Hutch said, 'that you will walk into the Bramford and be hit on the head with a piano or eaten by spinsters or turned to stone. I am simple saying that the record is there and ought to be considered along with the reasonable rent and the working fireplce: the house has a high incidence of unpleasant happenings. Why deliberately enter a danger zone?'"

Oh, this book! I've seen the movie a couple times, at various points in my life, so I knew the score. It started out where I was wanting to be able to jump in the book and tell them No, no, you don't want that apartment, take the boring sterile new place! and then, after the quote shared above, I wanted to shout at them, LISTEN TO HIM, DON'T MOVE THERE!!! but of course, for all my, and Hutch's, attempts to help them escape it, the Woodhouses were simply destined (by Ira Levin, that is, not a higher power) to move into the Bramford.

Of course, things seem to go awfully smooth, lovely new apartment, gorgeous new furnishings and painting, oh-so-kind new neighbors, it's all just wonderful! ...Except for the tip-of-the-tongue lurking suspicion that things don't exactly seem just quite right, the odd frivolous seemingly unconnected little coincidences popping up, the strange little quirks floating around Guy that can be brushed off with perfectly reasonable excuses...
"The thought of her baby lying helpless amid sacrilege and horror brought tears to Rosemary's eyes, and suddenly a longing dragged at her to do nothing but collapse and weep, to surrender completely before such elaborate and unspeakable evil."

Well, anybody with any modicum of pop culture knowledge knows just what Rosemary's baby is, nonetheless, I will leave all truly spoilerish talk at the door, and simply say that Levin created a thrilling horror story. Even already knowing the outline of it all, I was still tense with anticipation once things really got going, and the end was great.
"'He chose you out of all the world, Rosemary. Out of all the women in the whole world, He chose you.'" ( )
2 vote PolymathicMonkey | Jan 14, 2014 |
Good book, well written. Inventive. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
It's been a long time since I read this one. Probably soon after it came out, when I was a teenager. I remember enjoying it. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 9, 2013 |
This is so great I put down a Gary A. Braunbeck book, and he's my favorite author!

When done: scariest book I ever read. Crack it if you dare! ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |
I've grown up my entire life hearing how scary the movie version of "Rosemary's Baby" is so I was really excited to give the novel a try. There's nothing more thrilling then being too terrified to fall asleep! I'm sad to say that the book didn't live up to my expectations. It just wasn't scary. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad book, in fact it was really compelling, it just didn't terrify me like I hoped it would. I set the bar a little too high on this one.

I got really into the novel very quickly because it is so character driven. You can relate soo well to Rosemary (at least I thought so)! Rosemary and her husband move into the much coveted old brownstone and gothic apartment they've had their eye on for years. When a family friend warns them that they should steer clear of the apartments because of the evil vibes lurking there (high suicide rate, cannibals, dead babies, murder and more have taken place in this building) they don't heed his warning and move in. They befriend an elderly couple next door and are practically inseperable, when Rosemary becomes pregnant they take care of her like she was their own daughter. Soon however, Rosemary starts to notice that things aren't right. The first few months of her pregnancy she loses far too much weight and is in constant pain, her husband lands an important acting role after his main competitor "mysteriously" wakes up blind, and she has a violent nightmare in which she has sex with a terrifying being and wakes up with scratches all over her. Are her naighbors practicing black magic? Is her husband involved? The build up on this novel is incredible as Rosemary's life starts to spin out of control and she pieces together what is going on. It has a great conclusion and it's hard to stop reading once you start.

I highly recommend this even though it isn't scary. I will most definitely be watching the movie soon!! ( )
  ecataldi | May 21, 2013 |
Completed in August 1966, in Wilton, Connecticut, and dedicated to Gabrielle
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse had signed a lease on a five-room apartment in a geometric white house on First Avenue when they received word, from a woman named Mrs. Cortez, that a four-room apartment in the Bramford had become available.

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor-husband, Guy, move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and only elderly residents. Neighbours Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome them; despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband starts spending time with them. Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare; as the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451194004, Mass Market Paperback)

When published in 1967, Rosemary's Baby was one of the first contemporary horror novels to become a national bestseller. Ira Levin's second novel (he went on to write such fine thrillers as A Kiss Before Dying, The Stepford Wives, and The Boys from Brazil), Rosemary's Baby, remains perhaps his best work. The author's mainstream "this is how it really happened" style undeniably also made the novel his most widely imitated. The plot line is deceptively simple: What if you were a happily married young woman, living in New York, and one day you awoke to find yourself pregnant? And what if your loving husband had--apparently--sold your soul to Satan? And now you were beginning to believe that your unborn child was, in reality, the son of Satan? Levin subtly makes it all totally plausible, unless of course, dear Rosemary--or the reader--can no longer distinguish fantasy from reality! A wonderfully chilling novel, it was later faithfully transformed into an equally unnerving motion picture. In 1997, a sequel was spawned, Son of Rosemary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:22 -0400)

Witchcraft and terror await Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse when they move into the ominous Bramford apartment building.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible