Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Rosemary's Baby (original 1967; edition 2010)

by Ira Levin, Otto Penzler (Introduction)

Member:TheLibraryhag
Title:Rosemary's Baby
Authors:Ira Levin
Other authors:Otto Penzler (Introduction)
Info:Pegasus (2010), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Paranormal Library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library book, satanism, horror, book to movie

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (1967)

The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories are quite different, but the books share similar themes. Both books are '70's religious shockers about a young woman moving into a new apartment, set in New York.
    Diary by Chuck Palahniuk (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (54)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (62)
The story was gripping, hard to put down, but fell apart slightly when Rosemary drew conclusions based on slim evidence. The ending fit Rosemary's character and fit the story but was oddly unsatisfying on another level that I can't quite find words for -- too neat, maybe, or the change too sudden. ( )
  CathrynGrant | Nov 21, 2014 |
The movie might be my favorite horror film of all time, and seems to have drawn much of its dialogue verbatim from the book. So, the book was good, but Roman Polanski did something awesome with it to make it just so, so terrifying. What's interesting to me is that over time, I find different aspects of it scary. Right now, the thing that really strikes me is how much difficulty Rosemary has finding an obstetrician who will actually listen to her. Being pregnant and being at the mercy of people who poo-poo your concerns is definitely a very scary place to be. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin; {acquired prior to L/T}; (2 1/2*)

The entire first half of this book was slow for me. The couple move in, meet the neighbors, and try to have a baby. It also becomes immediately apparent that Rosemary is an idiot. Her refusal to see reason makes her scenes frustrating to read. The suspense is there and it comes in subtle drops along the way.
When Hutch begins to suspect Rosemary's neighbors of being more than what they claim, the plot speeds up considerably. I found myself reading what I thought would turn out to be a pretty good book by the time it was all over. However I did not find the conclusion to be well thought or I just didn't get it which was unsatisfying to this reader. Perhaps it was simply outdated for me. The subject matter and the midsection were so good that if the ending had been better handled and had Rosemary had some sense, I could have excused the slow start and jumped the rating up the rating but as it was; meh. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Oct 31, 2014 |
I am going to first admit that since I read Rosemary's Baby I have on regret. That is it took me so long to pick up the book that was sitting in my library for so long. This is probably one of the creepiest horror novels that I have read. It wasn't creepy in the typical horror fashion. The creepiness was in how subtle Ira Levin created the plot. Of course anyone who had seen the movie knows the basic plot and the original movie was done very well as much as I remember, but I don't believe that influenced how I read the book. This is definitely a must read for any horror fan.
  bibliophile_pgh | May 21, 2014 |
"'I am not saying,' Hutch said, 'that you will walk into the Bramford and be hit on the head with a piano or eaten by spinsters or turned to stone. I am simple saying that the record is there and ought to be considered along with the reasonable rent and the working fireplce: the house has a high incidence of unpleasant happenings. Why deliberately enter a danger zone?'"

Oh, this book! I've seen the movie a couple times, at various points in my life, so I knew the score. It started out where I was wanting to be able to jump in the book and tell them No, no, you don't want that apartment, take the boring sterile new place! and then, after the quote shared above, I wanted to shout at them, LISTEN TO HIM, DON'T MOVE THERE!!! but of course, for all my, and Hutch's, attempts to help them escape it, the Woodhouses were simply destined (by Ira Levin, that is, not a higher power) to move into the Bramford.

Of course, things seem to go awfully smooth, lovely new apartment, gorgeous new furnishings and painting, oh-so-kind new neighbors, it's all just wonderful! ...Except for the tip-of-the-tongue lurking suspicion that things don't exactly seem just quite right, the odd frivolous seemingly unconnected little coincidences popping up, the strange little quirks floating around Guy that can be brushed off with perfectly reasonable excuses...
"The thought of her baby lying helpless amid sacrilege and horror brought tears to Rosemary's eyes, and suddenly a longing dragged at her to do nothing but collapse and weep, to surrender completely before such elaborate and unspeakable evil."

Well, anybody with any modicum of pop culture knowledge knows just what Rosemary's baby is, nonetheless, I will leave all truly spoilerish talk at the door, and simply say that Levin created a thrilling horror story. Even already knowing the outline of it all, I was still tense with anticipation once things really got going, and the end was great.
"'He chose you out of all the world, Rosemary. Out of all the women in the whole world, He chose you.'" ( )
2 vote PolymathicMonkey | Jan 14, 2014 |
Completed in August 1966, in Wilton, Connecticut, and dedicated to Gabrielle
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse had signed a lease on a five-room apartment in a geometric white house on First Avenue when they received word, from a woman named Mrs. Cortez, that a four-room apartment in the Bramford had become available.

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor-husband, Guy, move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and only elderly residents. Neighbours Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome them; despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband starts spending time with them. Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare; as the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451194004, Mass Market Paperback)

When published in 1967, Rosemary's Baby was one of the first contemporary horror novels to become a national bestseller. Ira Levin's second novel (he went on to write such fine thrillers as A Kiss Before Dying, The Stepford Wives, and The Boys from Brazil), Rosemary's Baby, remains perhaps his best work. The author's mainstream "this is how it really happened" style undeniably also made the novel his most widely imitated. The plot line is deceptively simple: What if you were a happily married young woman, living in New York, and one day you awoke to find yourself pregnant? And what if your loving husband had--apparently--sold your soul to Satan? And now you were beginning to believe that your unborn child was, in reality, the son of Satan? Levin subtly makes it all totally plausible, unless of course, dear Rosemary--or the reader--can no longer distinguish fantasy from reality! A wonderfully chilling novel, it was later faithfully transformed into an equally unnerving motion picture. In 1997, a sequel was spawned, Son of Rosemary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:22 -0400)

Witchcraft and terror await Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse when they move into the ominous Bramford apartment building.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible