Snow White, Blood Red by Ellen Datlow

Snow White, Blood Red

by Ellen Datlow (Editor), Terri Windling (Editor)

Other authors: Jack Dann (Contributor), Charles de Lint (Contributor), Ryan Edmonds (Contributor), Esther M. Friesner (Contributor), Gregory Frost (Contributor)16 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Lisa Goldstein (Contributor), Harvey Jacobs (Contributor), Kathe Koja (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Elizabeth A. Lynn (Contributor), Patricia A. McKillip (Contributor), Leonard Rysdyk (Contributor), Caroline Stevermer (Contributor), Melanie Tem (Contributor), Steve Rasnic Tem (Contributor), Susan Wade (Contributor), Wendy Wheeler (Contributor), Gahan Wilson (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

Series: The Snow White, Blood Red Series (1)

I always love reading Ellen Datlow/Terri Windling anthologies, and this was no different! My favorite stories were by Charles de Lint, Tanith Lee, Gregory Frost, Neil Gaiman (his story I had read in another collection before, though), Jane Yolen, Patricia A. McKillip, and Lisa Goldstein.

The anthology also has two brilliant introductions by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow that is not to be missed. At the end of the book there are excellent recommendations to other Fairy Tale books geared towards adult readers.

You can read my thoughts on the second book in this series HERE. ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
Average rating: 3.05 stars

Like a Red, Red Rose by Susan Wade **** Several fairy tale motifs are present in this story including a cottage in the woods, an innocent girl, a witch and a prince. Wades recombines the old ingredients into a new recipe as effective as any of the traditional variations.

The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep by Charles de Lint *** The dream world crossing over into the real world and possibly into Faerie just didn't do it for me.

The Frog Prince by Gahan Wilson ** Even worse than the dream world in the previous story, this story has a delusional man convinced he's hallucinating himself as the frog prince.

Stalking Beans by Nancy Kress * This adult fairy tale was too adult for me and too male as well, especially since it was written by a female.

Snow-Drop by Tanith Lee **** Riveting retelling of Snow White from a completely twisted and different point-of-view.

Little Red by Wendy Wheeler *** Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood from the wolf's point of view

I Shall Do Thee Mischief in the Wood by Kathie Koja 2 Again a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, from the wolf's point of view and turned on it's head.

The Root of the Matter by Gregory Frost *** An average retelling of Rapunzel.

The Princess in the Tower by Elizabeth A. Lynn **** A very good retelling of Rapunzel, from a male perspective, poignant ending.

Persimmon by Harvey Jacobs ** Thumbalina but again, too "adult" for my tastes.

Little Poucet Steve Rasnic Tem ** Another little known fairy tale that was too "X" rated for my tastes.

The Changelings by Melanie Tem ** Pitiful mother of a changeling child and the ending will leave you disappointed by the delusion.

The Springfield Swans by Caroline Stevermer and Ryan edmonds **** A wonderful retelling of "The Wild Swans" using a baseball team theme.

Troll Bridge Neil Gaiman **** Grimm told it first, but Gaiman told "Three Billy Goats Gruff" better.

A Sound, Like Angels Singing by Leonard Rysdy *** It's not until you are almost finished that you realize this the Pied Piper told from the point of view of a deaf or at least tone-deaf mother rat.

Puss by Esther M. Friesner **** Immortal cats with wings, personalities and powers but bound to mortals by honor.

The Glass Casket by Jack Dann **** My favorite short story of the collection. Reminded me of "The Inner Light" my favorite Star Trek TNG episode that one a Hugo.

Knives by Jane Yolen *** A short dark poem about Cinderella.

The Snow Queen by Patricia A. McKillip **** My second favorite story of the collection - a modern day love triangle between Gerda and Kay (who are married) and Neva (the Snow Queen).

Breadcrubs and Stones Lisa Goldstein *** Hanzel and Gretel meet the Holocaust - full of regrets and secrets held too closely to the breast and unto the deathbeds of the survivors.
  mossjon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Pretty good collection. Some stories better then others. ( )
  hredwards | Sep 24, 2012 |
Review by: Audrey

I read the book Snow White, Blood Red. It is basically a book of short stories which are classical fairy tales made gruesome. It has tales based on Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood. The settings are modern.
In the stories there are no happily ever afters. Lovers get killed main charters get killed and there are all sorts of monsters. For example, in the story "Troll Bridge" the main character gets eaten by the troll in the end.
In my opinion this book was good because it was not a bed-time story book. It was full of gruesome, scary, mysterious tales that everyone will enjoy. Snow White, Blood Red is a book that will turn you snow white with fear and blood red with excitement. ( )
  bplteen | May 15, 2012 |
Taking a break isn't usually a problem for me when I read short stories. I can just read a story then stop and go on to the next one after I get some work done, but this collection grabbed me from the first page and held on right until the end. It has all the best fairy tales, but with brilliant twists that make them seem so possible that it gives me shivers. I haven't read the others in the series yet, but I will be getting them VERY soon. ( )
  weeksj10 | May 8, 2011 |

Wade, SusanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheeler, WendyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GahanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380718758, Mass Market Paperback)

"Once upon a time, fairy tales
were for children . . . But no longer."

You hold in your hands a volume of wonders -- magical tales of trolls and ogres, of bewitched princesses and kingdoms accursed, penned by some of the most acclaimed fantasists of our day. But these are not bedtime stories designed to usher an innocent child gently into a realm of dreams. These are stories that bite -- lush and erotic, often dark and disturbing mystical journeys through a phantasmagoric landscape of distinctly adult sensibilities . . . where there is no such thing as "happily ever after."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,552,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible