Stardoc by S. L. Viehl

Stardoc (2000)

by S. L. Viehl

Series: Stardoc (book 1)

English (15)  Swedish (1)  All (16)
This was on a very quick path to 5Stars.

A young woman is fleeing her home and Earth, as her father, who is a brilliant and controlling surgeon, has her life all planned out for her.
She flees to a small colony to be part of the medical team. A colony made up of mostly non-Terrans, as humans are called. Did I mention that the controlling father is a leader in a Terrans Only group?

So the young daughter begins her work. Lots of adventures, some romance and then a very large catastrophe on an epidemic level. Which proceeds to an even larger personal crisis for our intrepid heroine.

The story ends with some seriously weird info being revealed. Really made me want to rush out and read the next book. But I didn't. For the following reasons.

1)There is one scene where she and her new lover consumate their love. It was explicit and did nothing to make the story better. It was for pure titillation and sex sells". I was disappointed it had been added, but would have gone on to the next book, if it weren't for the next reason.

2) There is a graphic rape scene. This is what really turned me off from this book. The reasons for why it happened are explained. But the graphicness of it, the reactions of those involved, just made me feel dirty. I had to stop reading for several days before I could go back and finish the story.

So I will be reading the next book at some time in the future, but Viehl is on serious probation. There had better be NOTHING I don't like in the next book for me to continue the series past Book 2." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It's refreshing to read a book about a female heroine who's intelligent and doesn't rely on a man. It's also really cool that it's a book about a doctor, written by an actual former doctor. ( )
  Music09 | Jul 6, 2016 |
I found Cherijo to be spunky, and the concept novel. Very cool. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Good book, but not enough to keep it on my shelves. I gave it a four, but I'm not likely to read it again any time soon. Passing it along to others who are more smitten than me. ( )
  SLHobbs | Aug 31, 2015 |
For someone to pick this book up and have it be their first experience with this author, I can see how people would balk and declare the author a lost cause. Fortunately, this is my second book, so some things I can let go... sort of.

I've said in other reviews that I can tell when an editor has been too involved in their author's writing. I'm getting that sense in this book, especially with certain scenes and the way a character reacts to said scene. The explanation given in the book is too thin and worthless for even my suspension of disbelief. In fact, had this one character not been crucial to finding the final solution, I'd have editted him out entirely.

With that said, the book is decent, though not up to my usual standards. It dangles just enough jargon to show the author knows what she's talking about, but not enough for the reader to gag on it. Some storylines are ... questionable, or perhaps just their conclusions that are reached. (A cat is NOT a slave.) The obvious racism and the more subtle "beautiful person" cliquishness does tend to pound one over the head, even if the character had never left earth before. Some things, even with the explanation given, are stretched to the point of breaking. I'm curious to see how the series progresses but have it on a very thin line. It breaks me again, I'm done. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 1, 2015 |

S. L. Viehlprimary authorall editionscalculated
DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick.
-Hippocrates (460? - 377? B.C.)
I bet Hippocrates never stepped one foot into a dump like this, I thought as I peered through the tavern's narrow entrance.

Talented surgeon Dr. Cherijo Grey Veil leaves Earth to accept a position as a physician at KevarzangaTwo's FreeClinic, where her skills are desperately needed to care for the more than two hundred different sentient species that make the frontier world their home.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible