Stardoc by S.L. Viehl

Stardoc (original 2000; edition 2000)

by S.L. Viehl

Authors:S.L. Viehl
Info:G P Putnam's Sons (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013

Stardoc by S. L. Viehl (2000)

1 (5) adventure (5) aliens (15) doctor (5) doctors (6) ebook (4) fantasy (7) fiction (33) future (3) genetic engineering (4) medical (15) medicine (7) own (5) owned (3) paperback (5) pb (3) read (8) romance (7) science fiction (161) series (10) sf (25) sff (9) space (6) space opera (11) space travel (4) speculative fiction (3) Stardoc (39) stardoc series (11) to-read (9) unread (6)

English (9)  Swedish (1)  All languages (10)
One of the early active members at my "other" book site had recommended this book, so I had picked it up at a used book store at some point long ago. After languishing in the "to be read" pile ever since, it finally made to the top.

At some level, I can see that this book could be pretty entertaining if read at an entirely superficial level. On an alien planet, good guys try to do good things in the face of bad guys and threatening circumstances.

But just about every aspect of it collapses when given even a wee bit of consideration. The protagonist is almost comically perfect. The characters in general, both good and bad, are almost comically one dimensional. The storyline requires a constant willing suspension of common sense. It is tempting to think about this as a young adult novel...something like Twilight, but with handsomely virile aliens as the object of fascination rather than vampires, although the nature and explicitness of the sexual content feels incongruent (but then again, not having actually read Twilight, perhaps the comparison is more apt than I think).

The book does feature a strong female protagonist, but I can't even remotely call at feminist. ( )
  clong | Nov 24, 2013 |
This was on a very quick path to 5Stars.

A young woman is fleeing her home and Earth, as her father, who is a brilliant and controlling surgeon, has her life all planned out for her.
She flees to a small colony to be part of the medical team. A colony made up of mostly non-Terrans, as humans are called. Did I mention that the controlling father is a leader in a Terrans Only group?

So the young daughter begins her work. Lots of adventures, some romance and then a very large catastrophe on an epidemic level. Which proceeds to an even larger personal crisis for our intrepid heroine.

The story ends with some seriously weird info being revealed. Really made me want to rush out and read the next book. But I didn't. For the following reasons.

1)There is one scene where she and her new lover consumate their love. It was explicit and did nothing to make the story better. It was for pure titillation and "sex sells". I was disappointed it had been added, but would have gone on to the next book, if it weren't for the next reason.

2) There is a graphic rape scene. This is what really turned me off from this book. The reasons for why it happened are explained. But the graphicness of it, the reactions of those involved, just made me feel dirty. I had to stop reading for several days before I could go back and finish the story.

So I will be reading the next book at some time in the future, but Viehl is on serious probation. There had better be NOTHING I don't like in the next book for me to continue the series past Book 2. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
First in the series. This is probably the first time I've ever really like science fiction. Does this qualify as a space opera? I love the characters and the world building.

Some might call this series a blend of Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, and Linnea Sinclair. Maybe Star Trek meets M*A*SH? ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Dr. Cherijo Grey Veil is a woman on the run - chartering a flight off planet in a seedy, rundown bar near the spaceport, she heads for the depths of explored space. Her hope is that in taking a job as a doctor on Kevarzangia Two's Free Clinic, she'll slide under the radar.

Her new employer is hostile, her co-workers are bizarre, and Terrans make up only a tiny percentage of the population. Her new life is challenging, rewarding and even fulfilling - but when plague strikes, her past comes calling with deadly consequences.

Excellent adventure - well-written, with an engaging heroine. The only jarring element for me was the cat. Poor Jenner - perhaps he was supposed to make Cherijo seem more human, but instead he ends up reading like a thrown-in afterthought. ( )
  SunnySD | Jul 7, 2011 |
A very good book that thrives on strong, emotional characters and complex interpersonal relationships and skirts the edges of politics and social norms to end up asking the old question about what it means to be human. Stardoc is, in fact, a medical drama in an alien setting rather than science fiction with doctors.

As far as I am concerned, Stardoc is a success in that it had a reader who did not know that there was a series (and is not terribly keen on medical dramas) wanting there to be a series. ( )
  thkey | Jan 5, 2011 |
Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick.
-Hippocrates (460? - 377? B.C.)
I bet Hippocrates never stepped one foot into a dump like this, I thought as I peered through the tavern's narrow entrance.

Talented surgeon Dr. Cherijo Grey Veil leaves Earth to accept a position as a physician at KevarzangaTwo's FreeClinic, where her skills are desperately needed to care for the more than two hundred different sentient species that make the frontier world their home.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible