Stardoc by S.L. Viehl

Stardoc (original 2000; edition 2000)

by S.L. Viehl

Member:eljay
Title:Stardoc
Authors:S.L. Viehl
Info:G P Putnam's Sons (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013

Stardoc by S. L. Viehl (2000)

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
It's refreshing to read a book about a female heroine who's intelligent and doesn't rely on a man. It's also really cool that it's a book about a doctor, written by an actual former doctor. ( )
  Music09 | Jul 6, 2016 |
I found Cherijo to be spunky, and the concept novel. Very cool. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Good book, but not enough to keep it on my shelves. I gave it a four, but I'm not likely to read it again any time soon. Passing it along to others who are more smitten than me. ( )
  SLHobbs | Aug 31, 2015 |
For someone to pick this book up and have it be their first experience with this author, I can see how people would balk and declare the author a lost cause. Fortunately, this is my second book, so some things I can let go... sort of.

I've said in other reviews that I can tell when an editor has been too involved in their author's writing. I'm getting that sense in this book, especially with certain scenes and the way a character reacts to said scene. The explanation given in the book is too thin and worthless for even my suspension of disbelief. In fact, had this one character not been crucial to finding the final solution, I'd have editted him out entirely.

With that said, the book is decent, though not up to my usual standards. It dangles just enough jargon to show the author knows what she's talking about, but not enough for the reader to gag on it. Some storylines are ... questionable, or perhaps just their conclusions that are reached. (A cat is NOT a slave.) The obvious racism and the more subtle "beautiful person" cliquishness does tend to pound one over the head, even if the character had never left earth before. Some things, even with the explanation given, are stretched to the point of breaking. I'm curious to see how the series progresses but have it on a very thin line. It breaks me again, I'm done. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 1, 2015 |
Not going to finish this one. I read 46%. I typically one-star all DNFs, but, in this case, it's not the book's fault. Some dummy spoiled me and I immediately lost interest in reading this. I just fucking hate spoilers and I can't stand reading a book waiting for something to happen. I don't enjoy what I'm reading when I read that way.

What I did read of it was decent. Not amazing, but entertaining enough. I would liken this to that old show ER, but on another planet with a shit load of aliens. I don't know if I'll ever pick it up again, but it is what it is.

Sorry, book. It's not you, it was that asshole who spoiled me.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

S. L. Viehlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick.
-Hippocrates (460? - 377? B.C.)
I bet Hippocrates never stepped one foot into a dump like this, I thought as I peered through the tavern's narrow entrance.

Talented surgeon Dr. Cherijo Grey Veil leaves Earth to accept a position as a physician at KevarzangaTwo's FreeClinic, where her skills are desperately needed to care for the more than two hundred different sentient species that make the frontier world their home.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,250,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible