Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire

Put Me in the Zoo (1960)

by Robert Lopshire

big spotted creature wants to be put in the zoo but the two kids ask him why and he starts showing them all that he can do with his spots. He can put them on the kids, or on the zoo walls, he can juggle his spots or change them colors and etc. Finally the kids tell him that its cool but that he doesn't belong in the zoo, he belongs at the circus!
  bmwade | May 19, 2013 |
This helps us understand the difference between a zoo and a circus. A zoo has animals that stand around; a circus has animals that do tricks!

In this funny early reader, a leopard-type animal wants to live in the zoo. He proves he's worthy by doing tricks with his spots: changing the colors, throwing them around, and making them fly into the sky. Is the zoo really the best place for him?
  scducharme | May 3, 2013 |
Put me in the Zoo is a comedic picture book about an animal with magical spots who wishes to live in the zoo. After revealing to two young children what his “spots can do,” the children decide that the animal would much better be placed in a circus than at the zoo. The author utilizes rhyme and repetition to engage young readers and teach basic word choice, sounds and colors. I found the book and its illustrations to be exciting and interesting. The animal’s name is never disclosed and invites readers to use their curiosity and imagination. Themes in the story include diversity and embracing one’s unique characteristics. ( )
1 vote elizabethhart | Nov 12, 2012 |
I actually did not like this book the way that I thought I would. I assumed because it was titled "Put me in a zoo" that it would talk about zoo animals but it did not. it was mostly about a large unidentifiable animal who could change the color of its spots and put its spots on other people and things. I was a little happier at the end when the two children were able to help the animal find a place where he fit in but reading about the whining animal the entire book was enough to make me not like this book personally. This book could be used to reinforce learned colors, numbers, and shapes with young students. The message at the end of the story was basically that we all have a place where where we fit in and belong.
  Nataliewhite88 | Nov 12, 2012 |
  clwalker | Jun 24, 2012 |

Illus. in color. Spot, a polka-dot leopard who can change colors and even juggle his own spots, tries to convince two children that he is special enough to be exhibited in the zoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:18 -0400)

A large, spotted animal discovers he really belongs in a circus, not a zoo.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible