As You Desire by Connie Brockway

As You Desire (1997)

by Connie Brockway

Series: Braxton (1)

Pretty good book. I enjoy reading books about archaeology, especially in historical settings. Plus, it was set in Egypt. I loved Harry and Dizzy, even though I felt like Gibbs-slapping her upside the head a few times because she would not pull her head out of her behind and pay attention to what was happening around her! ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
In June 21, 2011 I read "The Lady Most Likely... A Novel in Three Parts", I got it because I was an avid Julia Quinn fan. But I ended up falling the hardest for Connie Brockway's part. All 3 of the parts were amazing, but Connie's story stayed with me, so years later -5 to be precise- I ordered "As You Desire", I started last night and I fell in love from chapter one. Have you watched and liked "The Mummy"? This has the same feeling. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed the last half of this book much more than the first half. After the first chapter, the plot slowed to a crawl and it was hard to keep reading. It was a decent read with a fluffy HEA and obligatory Epilogue boinking, but I think it could've been fine tuned to be so much better. The author has a fantastic grasp on her characters and the chemistry between Harry and Dizzy was fabulous, I just needed more of it. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Desdemona is a child prodigy; she has a gift for reading dead languages and before her parents died they sacrificed her girlhood to science, toting her around to scientific conferences and having her perform. She escaped into happily-ever-after books, and when her parents died she went to live with her grandfather in Egypt. The grandfather is a scholar and absentminded to the point of being neglectful; but at least he loves Desdemona and wants her to be happy.

Desdemona arrived in Egypt at the age of 17. She immediately fell head over heels for Harry Braxton; and, enthusiastically but rashly, she propositioned him. But he spurned her, wounding her deeply and causing her to mistrust him.

Braxton is dislexic. He had a miserable childhood in England, where he was treated like an idiot, and escaped to Egypt where he can hide his disability and find a use for his tremendous intellect...he can read heiroglyphs, because he can touch them, and he can hire scribes to write for him. He's very sensitive about his problem, however, after years spent being teased and taunted.

Braxton has loved Desdemona almost since he met her. He turned her down because she was, at 17, young and innocent - not somebody he was willing to take advantage of. Unfortunately, in the process he hurt her horribly. His reputation as a cavalier adventurer only cements Desdemona's mistrust of him.

In "As You Desire," five years after Desdemona's initial offer, Braxton and Desdemona are friends - Braxton is resigned to the role of hopeless, long-suffering lover; Desdemona has the habit of denying her feelings.

The book sends the pair on a host of merry adventures. Brockway does a magnificent job of capturing the setting and the social scene of Cairo in the late nineteenth century; her collection of genteel exiles and brash adventurers provide a magnificent backdrop for the romance itself, incredibly vivid and fun. Her integration of ancient Egyptian history and art is great too.

Both Desdemona and Braxton are spunky, totally captivating characters. Braxton's total perfection is made even more appealing (because it is more human) because of his struggle with dislexia...and Desdemona's beauty and brilliance are, likewise, tempered by the sentimental fantasy life she nourishes in romances, the leftover of a very lonely childhood.

It's well-written, well-plotted, well-paced, extremely satisfying. Bravo! ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Funny, sweet, sensual (but not graphically so), unexpectedly smart and with just the right amount of angst. [On Desdemona's part, her conflicting desire to be a normal English girl and her love of Egypt. On Harry's, his dyslexia, which he spends so much time hiding from Dizzy that she can't believe he might ever love her and which he believes will make her incapable of loving him (and given his childhood, you can understand his fear).] Much more delightful than the cover copy would lead you to expect. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Nov 21, 2011 |
For Doc Danger, who holds my heart in every one of his many guises
Above the vast Egyptian desert the midnight sky reflected its own eternal emptiness.
You are my country, Desdemona.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440221994, Paperback)

He galloped across the midnight-shrouded landscape, racing toward her on his pure white steed.  Her destiny...In her wildest fantasies Desdemona Carlisle could not have conjured a more dashing savior, and this was real. But an unlikelier hero was hard to find.  Harry Braxton was a rouge, a scoundrel, and a born opportunist who had already broken her heart once.  How could she ever trust a notorious rake who came with a warning:  lover, beware...

With her bronze-gold hair and quicksilver grace, the sloe-eyed beauty was every man's desire and one man's sole passion.  But the secret that had made Harry an exile also made it impossible for him to offer Desdemona more that friendship.  Until his aristocratic cousin laid siege to Desdemona's heart and Harry, damning the consequences, vowed to do anything, give anything, to claim her for him own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

Desdemona Carlisle has loved Harry Braxton since the day their eyes first met. But Harry acts as if they are the best of friends, and nothing more. When Desdemona is kidnapped by a desert gang looking for a fortune in ransom, Harry comes to her rescue on horseback, saving Desdemona's life and bringing new sparks to their friendship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,636,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible