The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by…

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Junot Díaz

8,941385336 (3.86)1 / 533
Member:alynnk
Title:The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Authors:Junot Díaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:September, 2008, borrowed, library, @read: not in library

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (2007)

1960s (48)

English (370)  French (4)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (380)
Great read. Interesting and gripping style of narrative. At first I had to get used to the fact that not the entier book was about Oscar, but once I got into the different stories they were all highly enjoyable in their own way.

A very different book from what I usually read. At first it seemed like it was not going to be a serious book, but that changed, and I was moved and fascinated by the story, the history and the style. A highly recommendable read.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Loved this book. If you haven't read it, put it on your summer reading list. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
This one should have remained a short story. Read this for a book group and our group was overwhelmingly disgusted with the book. Many were unable to make it through the whole novel I only made it through by listening to the audio version. I hate to give such a negative review but I was just underwhelmed by this one. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
I don't know any Spanish and know nothing about the Dominican Republic so it took awhile for me to get into this book. But by the end I loved the people in it, flawed though they were and the ending was really good. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
I could not get into this book - the footnotes on Dominican history, the many references to science fiction, and the rough language just turned me off. I was also distressed by how poorly the women/girls allowed (wanted?) the men to treat them. I started to get caught up in the story, but ultimately I quit at about page 100. I would rather spend my time on something else. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 4, 2016 |
Díaz’s novel also has a wild, capacious spirit, making it feel much larger than it is. Within its relatively compact span, “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” contains an unruly multitude of styles and genres. The tale of Oscar’s coming-of-age is in some ways the book’s thinnest layer, a young-adult melodrama draped over a multigenerational immigrant family chronicle that dabbles in tropical magic realism, punk-rock feminism, hip-hop machismo, post-postmodern pyrotechnics and enough polymorphous multiculturalism to fill up an Introduction to Cultural Studies syllabus.

It is Mr. Díaz’s achievement in this galvanic novel that he’s fashioned both a big picture window that opens out on the sorrows of Dominican history, and a small, intimate window that reveals one family’s life and loves. In doing so, he’s written a book that decisively establishes him as one of contemporary fiction’s most distinctive and irresistible new voices.

Junot Diazprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snell, StaciNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of what import are brief, nameless lives . . . to Galactus?? (Fantastic Four, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Vol. 1, No. 49, April 1966)
Christ have mercy on all sleeping things!
From that dog rotting down Wrightson Road
to when I was a dog on these streets;
if loving these islands must be my load,
out of corruption my soul takes wings,
But they had started to poison my soul
with their big house, big car, bit-time hbohl,
coolie, nigger, Syrian, and French Creole,
so I leave it for them and their carnival--
I taking a sea-bath, I gone down the road.
I know these islands from Monos to Nassau,
a rusty head sailor with sea-green eyes
that they nickname Shabine, the patois for
any red nigger, and I, Shabine, saw
when these slums of empire was paradise.
I'm just a red nigger who love the sea,
I had a sound colonial education,
I have Dutch, nigger, and English in me,
and either I'm nobody, or I'm a nation.
(Derek Walcott)
Elizabeth de Leon
You wanna smoke?
I might partake. Just a little though. I would not want to cloud my faculties.
“They say it came first from Africa, carried in the screams of the enslaved; that it was the death bane of the Tainos, uttered just as one world perished and another began; that it was a demon drawn into Creation through the nightmare door that was cracked open in the Antilles. Fukú americanus, or more colloquially, fukú–generally a curse or a doom of some kind; specifically the Curse and the Doom of the New World. Also called the fukú of the Admiral because the Admiral was both its midwife and one of its great European victims; despite “discovering” the New World the Admiral died miserable and syphilitic, hearing (dique) divine voices. In Santo Domingo, the Land He Loved Best (what Oscar, at the end, would call the Ground Zero of the New World), the Admiral’s very name has become synonymous with both kinds of fukú, little and large; to say his name aloud or even to hear it is to invite calamity on the heads of you and yours.”

Brief biographical study.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

Oscar, an overweight Dominican from a New Jersey ghetto, dreams of becoming a writer and finding love, but a Fuku curse has haunted his family for generations, and may well prevent him from attaining his desires.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible