Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by…

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Junot Diaz

10,429408402 (3.87)1 / 598
Member:emily_morine
Title:The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:wolves, dominican, diaspora, newjersey, familysaga, thepast, magicalrealism, politics, dictators, sex, menandwomen, abuse, parentsandchildren, firstperson, multiplenarrators

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (2007)

The World According to Garp by John Irving (GoST)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (Smiler69, chrisharpe)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Smiler69)
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (Othemts)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (chrisharpe)
    Drown by Junot Díaz (2810michael)
    In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez (weener)
    weener: Oscar Wao mentions In the Time of the Butterflies in a footnote. Both dealing so gracefully with the Trujillo regime, they seem like complementary books.
    No Place For Heroes: A Novel by Laura Restrepo (eenerd)
    Delirium by Laura Restrepo (chrisharpe)
    Hermanas : roman by Torgrim Eggen (GoST)
    A Bad Idea I'm About to Do: True Tales of Seriously Poor Judgment and Stunningly Awkward Adventure by Chris Gethard (andomck)
    andomck: New Jersey setting, nerdy/outcast protagonist, pop culture references, etc
    Jasmine Nights by Somtow Sucharitkul (nsblumenfeld)
    The Lost Legends of New Jersey by Frederick Reiken (Othemts)
    Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (2810michael, 2810michael)
    Caribbean Connections: The Dominican Republic by Anne Callin (sungene)
    sungene: To learn more about the DR, and for an essay by Junot Díaz.
    Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (weener)
    weener: One is fiction, one is non-fiction. One is in Latin America, one is in Asia. Both are heartbreaking, deeply affecting tales of life under totalitarianism.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (andomck)
    andomck: Neuromancer is exactly the type of 80's nerd culture that Oscar Wait submerged himself in.
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andomck)
    andomck: At the core of each book is the story of an adolescent male friendship
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (bbudke)

1960s (110)
My TBR (16)

English (399)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (408)
There was very little in this book to inspire me. It was a dark, despairing story. The sarcasm is not my cup of tea, nor is the deprecating sense of humor. I really tried to see some semblance of message, purpose or coherence and was left bland. It proves you cannot please everyone and some of us are dense. As a story of history of the Dominican Republic it was horrific and that is an important historical lesson. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
How can one book be so brilliant and hilarious and so depressing and brutal at the same time?? ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
I've not made a lot of progress in this book. Like the story in itself, but I absolutely dislike the notes.
If it's not a scientific work you're writing, why put notes in DURING the story? The interrupt and deflect. The contents may be interesting, but the form is bad for reading properly.

Finished this book. I got over my aversion of the notes and actually started to like Oscar's story. Mixed with the Dominican background/history, in was an interesting read.
In the end I had had enough, did the form in which the book was presented make me wish the story wad finished. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 3, 2018 |
My feelings on this book are complicated but also super easy to explain: I think it's probably brilliant for a lot of readers, I think Diaz is a fantastic writer, and I completely understand all of his techniques, and I think they are used masterfully... but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Which is just to say, this book and I are not compatible. I think it is very good if it suits. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
First a bit confusing writing style but then it is a page turner. Haunting. Raw. Real. Beautiful. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Aug 23, 2018 |
Díaz’s novel also has a wild, capacious spirit, making it feel much larger than it is. Within its relatively compact span, “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” contains an unruly multitude of styles and genres. The tale of Oscar’s coming-of-age is in some ways the book’s thinnest layer, a young-adult melodrama draped over a multigenerational immigrant family chronicle that dabbles in tropical magic realism, punk-rock feminism, hip-hop machismo, post-postmodern pyrotechnics and enough polymorphous multiculturalism to fill up an Introduction to Cultural Studies syllabus.

It is Mr. Díaz’s achievement in this galvanic novel that he’s fashioned both a big picture window that opens out on the sorrows of Dominican history, and a small, intimate window that reveals one family’s life and loves. In doing so, he’s written a book that decisively establishes him as one of contemporary fiction’s most distinctive and irresistible new voices.

Junot Diazprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bragg, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snell, StaciNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of what import are brief, nameless lives . . . to Galactus?? (Fantastic Four, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Vol. 1, No. 49, April 1966)
Christ have mercy on all sleeping things!
From that dog rotting down Wrightson Road
to when I was a dog on these streets;
if loving these islands must be my load,
out of corruption my soul takes wings,
But they had started to poison my soul
with their big house, big car, bit-time hbohl,
coolie, nigger, Syrian, and French Creole,
so I leave it for them and their carnival--
I taking a sea-bath, I gone down the road.
I know these islands from Monos to Nassau,
a rusty head sailor with sea-green eyes
that they nickname Shabine, the patois for
any red nigger, and I, Shabine, saw
when these slums of empire was paradise.
I'm just a red nigger who love the sea,
I had a sound colonial education,
I have Dutch, nigger, and English in me,
and either I'm nobody, or I'm a nation.
(Derek Walcott)
Elizabeth de Leon
You wanna smoke?
I might partake. Just a little though. I would not want to cloud my faculties.
“They say it came first from Africa, carried in the screams of the enslaved; that it was the death bane of the Tainos, uttered just as one world perished and another began; that it was a demon drawn into Creation through the nightmare door that was cracked open in the Antilles. Fukú americanus, or more colloquially, fukú–generally a curse or a doom of some kind; specifically the Curse and the Doom of the New World. Also called the fukú of the Admiral because the Admiral was both its midwife and one of its great European victims; despite “discovering” the New World the Admiral died miserable and syphilitic, hearing (dique) divine voices. In Santo Domingo, the Land He Loved Best (what Oscar, at the end, would call the Ground Zero of the New World), the Admiral’s very name has become synonymous with both kinds of fukú, little and large; to say his name aloud or even to hear it is to invite calamity on the heads of you and yours.”

Brief biographical study.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

Oscar, an overweight Dominican from a New Jersey ghetto, dreams of becoming a writer and finding love, but a Fuku curse has haunted his family for generations, and may well prevent him from attaining his desires.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,485,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible