Smoky Night by Eve Bunting

Smoky Night (edition 1999)

by Eve Bunting, David Diaz (Illustrator)

1,2901356,078 (4)10
Member:libr202team4
Title:Smoky Night
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (1999), Paperback, 36 pages
Collections:HSU Children's Center, Your library

Smoky Night by Eve Bunting

Smoky Night tells of a young boy that lives in a city and one night there are riots through the streets. The cultural divide has grown so much in the streets of this one boy's home city, that a fight breaks out and a riot ensues. The boy and his mother try to hide inside their apartment as long as they can, until the whole building is engulfed in flames. As they try to escape, the boy can't find his beloved cat and he starts to worry. As the people are seeking shelter in the streets, the boy is reunited with his cat and the cat has befriended another feline that belongs to another ethnicity unlike his own. This friendship between the cats then leads to the fixing of the differences between the people.

I thought that this was such a great story! I also think that it is so culturally relevant to the race issues that our country faces today. I would recommend this story to any teacher that is looking for a good read for their class.

An activity that I would do is a book analysis. I would have the students analyze the detail that Eve Bunting puts into the book and how when you read the story, you can really picture what the book looks like. I would also have the students try writing like this in a small writing assignment. ( )
  kmedwa4950 | Dec 7, 2016 |
GR: P
GL: 2.5
DRA: 38
Lexile: 360L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
This book is a different kind of picture book than I expected. I think that this book would be excellent in teaching about violence that takes place in some cities. I think that it would be excellent in a child psych class or even a general psych class.
  BrittanySchupman | Jul 29, 2016 |
Smoky Night, written by Eve Bunting and brilliantly illustrated by David Diaz, captures one family's plight during the LA riots of 1992. The protagonist David, along with his mother, watch in fear and horror as rioting and looting takes place in their neigborhood. Later, when fire breaks out, they are removed to a shelter--but their cat Jasmine gets lost in the rush to evacuate. All of the neighbors from their area are there, representing many different cultures. Their neighbor Mrs. Kim is also missing her cat. Finally a fireman brings both cats in--cats who had always fought, but were found huddled together. This is the metaphor for the entire neighborhood--living next to each other but not learning or caring about each other until a disaster draws them together as a unified group. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 20, 2016 |
A clear and important lesson. I hope we can all learn from it. However, I don't know if it truly speaks to inner-city children like the MC, or if suburban/rural children will be able to realize that the lesson applies to them, also. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diaz, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152018840, Paperback)

This is a story about cats -- and people -- who couldn't get along until a smoky and fearful night brings them together.

The Los Angeles riots made author Eve Bunting wonder about what riots meant to the children who live through them -- and what we can all learn from such upheavals. She has written more than 100 books for children and young adults, including Night Tree and Summer Wheels, and many deal thoughtfully with difficult issues.

Smoky Night was the winner of the 1995 Caldecott Medal; an American Library Association Notable Children's Book; a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year; and a Parent's Choice Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

Daniel and his mother look out of their window at the smoky night below. There are looters on the street, fires in the distance. Daniel clutches his cat, Jasmine. But later, when they're forced to leave the apartment building, Jasmine can't be found. Mrs. Kim's cat is missing too. Where are they? They can't be with each other. Those cats don't get along...This story is about cats and people who couldn't get along until a night of rioting brings them together. Winner of Caldecott medal, 1995. When the Los Angeles riots break out in the streets of their neighborhood, a young boy and his mother learn the values of getting along with others no matter what their background or nationality.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,820,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible