So You Want to Be President by Judith St.…

So You Want to Be President (edition 2000)

by Judith St. George, David Small (Illustrator)

Member:ogechukwu
Title:So You Want to Be President
Authors:Judith St. George
Other authors:David Small (Illustrator)
Info:See notes (2000), Paperback, 52 pages
Tags:Caldecott Winner, part of CCSE, Informational non fiction text

So You Want to be President? by Judith St. George

GR: S
GL: 4.2
DRA: 40
Lexile: 730L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
This is a wonderful fun and silly read for students grades 2-4. This book can be incorporated into a unit about the government or when learning about the President because it takes a look at all the Presidents we've had and different silly things that made them stand out in history. This could be used to help students pick a certain president for a research project or just read for fun when looking at these different topics of government, etc ( )
  aeuin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
Before reading this book, I really thought that I wasn’t going to like it because I’m not really a history fan. But after reading, I realized that I actually liked this book. It basically incorporates every single president into one book in a creative way. That seems like a hard thing to do but this author got it done. The language is very descriptive and the purpose is to inform the reader. At some points in the book, the author indirectly says things and meant something totally different. For example, he was saying that in order to be President, it might help if your name was James. He went on to explain how there were six presidents with the first name James. I really like how the author incorporated this because at first I thought to myself, well why would my name need to be James and then he explained it. So it got me thinking. The book was also very easy to follow along with. The different characters are the Presidents and Vice Presidents that the U.S. has had. It was also told from a third person point of view. There is no real plot because this book is just informing the reader about the personal lives of the Presidents of the United States. The illustrations were done with water color paints and on certain pages the author was talking about more than one President and the illustrations looked jumbles but if you looked closely you could see how both Presidents were illustrated on the page together. For example, the author talked about how some Presidents used a lot of money but others were cheap. He stated that one president walked to the market every morning with a basket instead of having people do it for him. So I looked in the background behind the illustrations of the ones that spent lots of money and there he was walking with his basket. Small things like this helped me really pay attention to the book and understand what was going on. While it doesn’t make me think about political issues, I did want to know more about the presidents in the end. They even included President Obama, which was pretty cool. The book also ended with quick facts about each President. ( )
  nmills3 | Mar 17, 2016 |
this book gave details and facts about all the presidents! it even gave silly facts like favorite foods and how much they weighed.
  taylortrost | Nov 18, 2015 |
So you want to be a president by Judith St. George. This book is very information for younger readers who want to learn more about the past presents. The book tells of how all kinds of people have served as the President of the United States. The book shows how presidents have come in just about every variety known to man from rich to poor. The book states fact about past presidents and their lives along with informational text found through history. The illustrations are very detailed and help make the book humorous to the reader. The author tries to relate the presidents in the book to the reader, an example of this would be by asking the reader if he or she has a sibling because all of the presidents did.
Personal Reaction
The illustrations were very creative. I however thought the words were a little small for young readers but, I would recommend this book as a read aloud or for second through fourth graders. I think this book is a good example of informational text for children. I feel this book is very encouraging and helps the reader feel confident that he or she could even be president no matter their circumstance.
Classroom Extensions
1.The teacher could ask each child to pick a president out of the book and do a research paper over them. When it came time to present the students could even dress up as their president or even their president’s wife for the presentation.
2. The each students could create a short picture book and on every page the students would draw about a different president.
3. The teacher could also use this book during president’s week and teach fact vs. opinion lessons with this book representing facts.
  KayleeClaunch | Nov 18, 2015 |

Judith St. Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Small, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Small, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399243178, Hardcover)

Tired of books about the presidency that present themselves as history books? Author Judith St. George--along with Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator David Small--has created a book about the presidency that's serious fun. The basic theme is that anyone can be president: a fat man (William Howard Taft) or a tiny man (James Madison), a relative youngster (Teddy Roosevelt at 42) or oldster (Ronald Reagan at 69). Presidential hobbies, sports, virtues, and vices all get a tongue-in-cheek airing, perfectly matched by Small's political-cartoon style of caricature painting. It's fun, but the underlying purpose is clearly serious: to remind kids that the American presidents have been a motley group of individuals, not a row of marble busts. Ironically, that message makes the presidency far more interesting (and appealing) than it seems in some of the more traditional books. There's a factual addendum at the back giving all the dates and names, with a one-line bio for each past-president. (Ages 8 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:43 -0400)

This new version of the Caldecott-winning classic updated with current facts and new illustrations to include our forty-second president, George W. Bush. Shows us the foibles, quirks and humanity of the 42 men who have risen to one of the most powerful positions in the world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,438,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible