So You Want to Be President by Judith St.…

So You Want to Be President (edition 2000)

by Judith St. George, David Small (Illustrator)

Title:So You Want to Be President
Authors:Judith St. George
Other authors:David Small (Illustrator)
Info:See notes (2000), Paperback, 52 pages
Tags:Caldecott Winner, part of CCSE, Informational non fiction text

So You Want to be President? by Judith St. George

this book gave details and facts about all the presidents! it even gave silly facts like favorite foods and how much they weighed.
  taylortrost | Nov 18, 2015 |
So you want to be a president by Judith St. George. This book is very information for younger readers who want to learn more about the past presents. The book tells of how all kinds of people have served as the President of the United States. The book shows how presidents have come in just about every variety known to man from rich to poor. The book states fact about past presidents and their lives along with informational text found through history. The illustrations are very detailed and help make the book humorous to the reader. The author tries to relate the presidents in the book to the reader, an example of this would be by asking the reader if he or she has a sibling because all of the presidents did.
Personal Reaction
The illustrations were very creative. I however thought the words were a little small for young readers but, I would recommend this book as a read aloud or for second through fourth graders. I think this book is a good example of informational text for children. I feel this book is very encouraging and helps the reader feel confident that he or she could even be president no matter their circumstance.
Classroom Extensions
1.The teacher could ask each child to pick a president out of the book and do a research paper over them. When it came time to present the students could even dress up as their president or even their president’s wife for the presentation.
2. The each students could create a short picture book and on every page the students would draw about a different president.
3. The teacher could also use this book during president’s week and teach fact vs. opinion lessons with this book representing facts.
  KayleeClaunch | Nov 18, 2015 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

It comes as no surprise that there has been some controversy over this book. What IS surprising, is the lack of knowledge people have displayed in their reviews in regard to our Nation's history and legal terms. So before I really get into my review, let's lay down some foundation in which my opinion has been based:

1) The term "impeached" refers to the process in which a President can be prosecuted. It does NOT mean that the President has been barred from office. That being said, Bill Clinton WAS impeached on both accounts of perjury and obstruction of justice, and THEN he was acquitted. Being this is a children's picture book and not an in-depth historical biography of the Presidents (and also to avoid getting into issues that are a little mature for young kids), I would say the author was limited, yet accurate, here.

2) To say a book is "inaccurate" because it was written before the information in it changed is not the author's fault. Authors of classic literature wrote within the societal norms or the purview of their present knowledge such as segregation or women's suffrage, but nobody complains that Shakespeare never gave Macduff an AK-47 to slay Macbeth because it is understood that guns were invented after his time, and, unfortunately, Shakespeare is not here to revise it to fit present day. (This book has since been revised to include Obama, so as of right now, this comment doesn't entirely apply)

3) A Caldecott Award is an award for illustrations, not text.

4) If you are a teacher, I really hope you encourage your kids to research facts. But I desperately hope that you also obtain facts yourself. That doesn't mean you have to like a book, but I am honestly shocked at how many people claimed they were teachers and yet, did not understand what the terms in this book meant. The poor author and illustrator had to suffer in ratings because of people's ignorance. Better to have an erudite opinion than a fallacious one that leads hundreds of little innocent minds astray.

Now that's established, let's press forward.

Judith St. George and David Small tag-team to create a hilarious paraphrase of all 44 Presidents. If you were looking for an entertaining way to present this bit of history to your kids or students, this is a great way to do it. Well, I also think a presidential version of Guess Who? would be fun, too.

We are given random bits of (often useless) information about each President that humanizes them, making them relatable. Some exemplifications may seem like a little TMI or downright absurd, but if you can look at it light-heartedly it can actually be entertaining and keep your child's interest.

David Smalls creates images that extend the story, almost portraying their own asides. They add to the comedy of the lyric in the form of caricatures, exaggerating the truth just a smidgen.

In my humble opinion, I think this is a fantastic book to introduce your child or students to Presidents. It totally beats trying to keep their attention through a 44-minute-or-so-snooze-fest. I understand that some people may not like the extreme comedy, but I thought it was hilarious and would use it in my own classroom. Just be sure that if you elaborate on what's in the book, your information is accurate.

Great comical debut of the Presidents for young kids! ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 21, 2015 |
28 months - A fairly long winded book or presidential facts. My husband says he could never get to the end of the book when reading to my step-son. Well tonight we made it 3/4 of the way before giving in with our two year old daughter. It's saying something when she looses interest as she has sat on my lap on an airplane reading for four hours straight. Oh well, maybe it will grow on her eventually. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Judith St. Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Small, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Small, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399243178, Hardcover)

Tired of books about the presidency that present themselves as history books? Author Judith St. George--along with Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator David Small--has created a book about the presidency that's serious fun. The basic theme is that anyone can be president: a fat man (William Howard Taft) or a tiny man (James Madison), a relative youngster (Teddy Roosevelt at 42) or oldster (Ronald Reagan at 69). Presidential hobbies, sports, virtues, and vices all get a tongue-in-cheek airing, perfectly matched by Small's political-cartoon style of caricature painting. It's fun, but the underlying purpose is clearly serious: to remind kids that the American presidents have been a motley group of individuals, not a row of marble busts. Ironically, that message makes the presidency far more interesting (and appealing) than it seems in some of the more traditional books. There's a factual addendum at the back giving all the dates and names, with a one-line bio for each past-president. (Ages 8 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:43 -0400)

This new version of the Caldecott-winning classic updated with current facts and new illustrations to include our forty-second president, George W. Bush. Shows us the foibles, quirks and humanity of the 42 men who have risen to one of the most powerful positions in the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible