Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) by…

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher

Member:carolina_reader
Title:Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, series

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Recently added bycalumoth, echoindarkness, Coritani, private library, JAHunter13, MaraBlaise

English (108)  Dutch (1)  All languages (109)
Wonderful continuation of the Dresden saga....Butcher very cleverly includes most of the major players in a thrilling plot of good (Dresden & Michael) versus evil (Nicodemus & The Summer Court). This one continues the suspense building in the past several novels of the overall saga. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Queen Mab wants Harry to find Marcone who was kidnapped by the Denarians. Denarians also get Ivy. Luccio and Harry sleep together, Murphy thinks it is a bad idea. We learn about New Mexico. Molly isn't an incompetent twit. Michael is hurt badly. Mouse doesn't like the Denarians. Uncharted creepy islands out in middle of Lake Michigan. Traitors in Denarian ranks as well as in Marcone's organization, probably Demeter. Billy Goats Gruff from Summer Court are after Harry too, Mab took away Harry's memories of fire to prevent them from using it to track him. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Purchased at Audible

Wizard Harry Dresden is out doing work for his other job, as a private detective, when he gets stuck in one helluva snow storm. To much snow, too fast and before he knows it Queen Mab, Faerie Queen of the Winter Court, is standing before him with a demand he make good on one of the favors he owes her. Mobster extraordinaire, Gentleman Johnny Marcone is missing and Mab wants Harry to find and protect him. Ok, find a mob boss. Harry’s an excellent PI. How hard could this be? Oh, Harry. Seriously?

Guest reviewers:
A ~ my 16-yr-old daughter
T ~ my 15-yr-old son
K ~ my 13-yr-old son

Yep, still loving the series. Humor, magic, mystery, great characters; what’s not to love? As always the big finale is hit with everyone though one of our favorite characters gets seriously injured. The plot is twisty and tricky and involves the Courts of Faerie. The hated Denarians are back and causing trouble, too. Man, we really hate them. But that means the Knights of the Cross are in this book. Yay for Michael and Sanya! Along with Thomas, Murphy, Marcone and Mouse there are some more favorites back: Kincaid, The Archive, Ms. Gard, Hendricks and Capt. Luccio. New baddies are some denizens of the Summer Court, the Billy Goats Gruff. Yowzers. Add in a battle, helicopter, Ride of the Valkyries, weapons, magic and a cool island and you pretty much have all the excitement you can handle. T does want it recorded for all time that he no longer likes Murphy due to a decision she made at the end that I will not reveal so as not to spoil. A & K don’t agree and still like Murphy. T also said he didn’t like what Harry was saying at the end of the book until the janitor walked into the chapel.

Favorite quotes:

“’Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?’
‘Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles ‘pon it instead,’ I said solemnly, ‘ and frosting of white.’”

“’You rush a miracle worker, you get lousy miracles!’”

“’Ha-ha! Ah-hahahahaha! I am wizard; hear me roar!’”

“’Tiny,’ Sanya rumbled to Michael, clenching a demonstrative fist. ‘But fierce.’” ~ talking about Murphy ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Aug 20, 2014 |
One thing I like about Jim Butcher's stories is, despite the unrealism of magic and wizards, they're realistic. Things don't always go right for Harry -- okay, they don't usually go right for Harry. If he's taking a shot at a demon, he's more likely to miss. If he needs to get into somewhere, it's likely to be locked. Nothing's easy, obstacles are everywhere. And as the reader, you never get off the edge of your seat.

One thing you must love, to love Harry Dresden, is his wiseass, wise-cracking attitude. When he came face to face with Mab, Queen of the winter half of Faerie, he was so scared, "I couldn't summon up a single wiseass comment, and that just doesn't happen to me." He's reassured that if he can still crack some snark, he's doing okay. It's part of him. While in some other character it would feel forced and out of sync, it's what you expect from Harry Dresden. He proved it in the short story "Heorot," when, after not making any snarky comments to that Black Court vampire, he spit a mouthful of garlic powder onto her with the warning that if he's not mouthing off, something's wrong.

The plot in Small Favor is a bit more complicated, a bit harder to keep track of. I wasn't always quite sure of the relationship among all the players, but once I thought it through I was a bit clearer. On my second reading, I didn't have that problem, but knowing the general story probably helps that. [SPOILERS AHEAD!] I did notice a bit of foreshadowing this time: when Harry said if Titania wanted to stop him, all she'd have to do is break his back and land him in the hospital. Poor choice of words, Harry...

I was hoping to see more of Bob in this one, after he made such an early appearance, but that turned out to be not so much. In fact, we saw less of a few of the usual characters, including Murphy and Thomas, though they made their usual spectacular entrances at the end. Michael was the prominent secondary character, and he came through for Harry in ways Harry wouldn't have expected.

Ok, I knew Murphy had cajones, but standing up to that gruff who wouldn't notice if he sat on her, she proved they're big brass cajones. But one thing I saw coming -- I always knew that sword was meant for her! Go Murphy! She'll take it up sometime. She has to. And on my second reading, I noticed that Mab refers to Murphy as the "Lady Knight." If Mab thinks of her that way, come on...

And Michael - ack! I hope the price he's paid turns out to be worth it. I also noticed something on my rereading. Everyone referred to Harry as "bound to Winter" or otherwise beholden or owned by Winter. As if it was a done deal. Perhaps it was...

While Harry deserved the ending, it did NOT make me happy. Still waiting for the ending I'm hoping for! ( )
1 vote monica67 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Harry Dresden owes Queen Mab a couple of favors, and she surprises him when she wants to cash one in by having him rescued from his mysterious, and, as it turns out, extremely dangerous kidnappers. This installment is full-on action, which makes for a fun read, and it's so full of baddies your head will be spinning. The downside of it is that there isn't as much room for character development or the funny commentary that usually fills the Dresdens. It's still a great installment in the series and it'll be very interesting to see what happens with all the characters in the future. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 15, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the forum going fans at jim-butcher.com. I'm pretty sure your bosses would be upset if they saw your posting stats, guys, but I won't tell if you won't.
Winter came early that year; it should have been a tip-off.
I ask people impertinent questions . . . Hopefully turning up pertinent answers.
Humanity, when frightened and angry, is a force even the supernatural world does not wish to reckon with.

From the book flap

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks bright.

But the past casts on hell of a long shadow.

An old bargain has placed Harry in debt to Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, the Queen of Air and Darkness - and she's calling in her marker. Dresden still owes the Winter Queen two favors, and it's time to pay one of them off. Just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits.

It figures. Everything was going too well to last...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462009, Mass Market Paperback)

THE New York Times Bestseller

Harry Dresden?s life finally seems to be calming down?until a shadow from the past returns. Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry?one small favor that will trap him between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and that will strain his skills?and loyalties?to their very limits.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:50 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden's calm life is interrupted when Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, decides to call in a favor that Harry owes her, sending him on a quest that leaves him trapped between a deadly foe and an untrustworthy ally.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible