Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) by…

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher

Member:carolina_reader
Title:Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, series

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

English (123)  Dutch (1)  All languages (124)
Note: I feel that Death Masks, Book 5, is where reading this series out of order starts to do you an injustice. This book does work as a stand alone to some extent, but you will get major spoilers for the previous books in the series and it also pulls in characters we have met before. So I recommend reading the previous books before you jump into this one.

Who’s afraid of the Big Bad Billygoat? If you’re not, then you should be and this story serves as a good example as to why. The story starts off with a friendly snowball fight at the Carpenter household, which then turns into a murderous brawl between Harry and some gruffs (which look a lot like upright billygoats). As Harry ponders over the implications of this latest tussle, Sargent Karrin Murphy of the Chicago PD tasks him with checking out a site with his wizardly senses. There he finds a large pentacle…. and Mab, a Queen of the Winter Court. She calls in a small favor from Harry: John Marcone, crime lord of Chicago, has gone missing and Mab wants him found.

When Mab is in the human world, her voice alone can kill mortals. So she talks through a grimalkin, which is like an extra evil large cat. The things Mab can do to Harry with just her voice make me shudder! And Toottoot tried to warn Harry, but Harry is too curious for his own good.

This is probably my 2nd or 3rd reading of this book and for some reason I always forget everything about it except for the gruffs because they are awesome and scary. And perhaps because Harry is always mentioning their..um… tackle. So once again I was pleasantly surprised by what took place in this installment of the series.

The Denarians are back in play and they are after something pretty darn important, if only Harry could figure out what it is in time. He teams up with Anastasia Luccio (a Warden for the White Council of wizards), Ivy the Archive (who has everything that’s ever been written down in human history memorized), and her bodyguard Kincaide (who has a secret supernatural side). Eventually, Harry has to make some hard choices about whether or not to do a trade with the Denarians. He is not a happy camper about it and he decides to play dirty (hooray!).

Luccio actually makes a play for Harry and he is totally oblivious. Poor dude. Bob the Skull has to point it out to him later. Of course Bob does it with his usual entertaining sarcasm. Harry’s love life, tho small and intermittent, is a mess.

Sanya and Michael (both Knight Templars with saintly swords) lend a hand in the final showdown. Murphy, Thomas Wraith of the vampire White Court, Molly (Harry’s apprentice), and Toottoot with the honor guard faeries all volunteer to help Harry out in some way. This lengthy scene is pretty intense. Harry finally puts a name to what Ms. Guard is, besides being a very deadly assistant to John Marcone. Harry also discovers a new power which, upon explanation from Bob, scares a little poo out of him.

One of the things I really like about this series, is that as the stakes get higher, the consequences go up as well. People get injured. In this book, one of Harry’s friends takes a hard hit and the book leaves us wondering just how bad it is. It’s a good thing the next book in the series is already out. Also, more and more Harry is learning that he can’t be the sole person to fight evil; he needs help from friends and allies and he won’t be able to protect them all.

Narration: James Marsters continues on as the voice of Harry Dresden. I really liked his creepy voice for the grimalkin and his uber-creepy voice for Mab. As always, his voice for Toottoot is both amusing and sincere. Marsters makes a pretty good gruff too, sounding like an angry billygoat. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jun 28, 2016 |
Small Favor
4 Stars

An entertaining read as always with appearances by many of Harry’s friends and foes.

In this installment, Harry is recruited by Mab to do her a “small favor” by rescuing notorious mobster, John Marcone, after he is kidnapped. As usual, the best laid plans never work out for Harry, and he soon finds himself embroiled in a fight for his life against the emissaries of the Summer Fae not to mention the Order of the Blackened Denarias, who may or may not be in cahoots with the mysterious Black Council.

The action is fast paced with numerous twists and turns as Harry works together with the Knights of the Cross, Murphy, Thomas and Kincaid to thwart the Denarians latest scheme to destroy the world. There are also some interesting developments in Harry’s love life and the worthy wielder of Fidelacchius is finally revealed.

Can’t wait to see what happens next... ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
*Spoilers*OK, that was a close one with Michael! I would have been highly upset if he would have died. It really sucks that Nic got away. Harry was so close to getting rid of him. So much happened I'm not sure what else to hit on lol. I can't wait till all of Mab's favors are done. She can never have him doing something simple lol. Harry asking for the doughnut was freakin' hilarious :0) I still love Thomas and Murphy. Next to Harry they are my favorite characters. Oh and Harry recognizing a place he didn't even know existed was a little crazy, and apparently he'll be there in the future...interesting. And LoL to Toot-Toot calling Harry Za Lord!!!! Oh my I just love this series. I'll be sad when I'm out of books. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
another reliabel story in the same vein as the rest ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Harry Dresden and his cadre of cohorts have managed to hold my interest through ten of the fifteen book series! Archangels, blasting rods, cops, Denarians and on and on (through the alphabet!). The Dresden Files offers, pretty much, something for every reader of this genre! Only five more to read before the Dresden Files series ends . . in spite of my (ongoing) wonderment around WHY I'm so enjoying a genre such as this one . . I'm dreading the turn of the final page in Book 15! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the forum going fans at jim-butcher.com. I'm pretty sure your bosses would be upset if they saw your posting stats, guys, but I won't tell if you won't.
Winter came early that year; it should have been a tip-off.
I ask people impertinent questions . . . Hopefully turning up pertinent answers.
Humanity, when frightened and angry, is a force even the supernatural world does not wish to reckon with.

From the book flap

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks bright.

But the past casts on hell of a long shadow.

It figures. Everything was going too well to last...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462009, Mass Market Paperback)

THE New York Times Bestseller

Harry Dresden?s life finally seems to be calming down?until a shadow from the past returns. Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry?one small favor that will trap him between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and that will strain his skills?and loyalties?to their very limits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

"Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down, The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks fairly bright." "But the past casts one hell of a long shadow." "An old bargain has placed Harry in debt to Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, the Queen of Air and Darkness - and she's calling in her marker. Dresden still owes the Winter Queen two favors, and it's time to pay one of them off. Just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits." "It figures. Everything was going too well to last."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,460,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible