Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) by…

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10) (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher

Member:carolina_reader
Title:Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, series

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

English (114)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
Note the five stars and take what follows for what it's worth.

I'm a few books ahead -- I'm just behind on posting. But this book, and another one to come, confirmed what I began to suspect a book or two ago, which is that Jim Butcher has developed a poker tell.

I don't want to say much or I'll spoil the suspense for you the way Butcher has started to for me. I'll try to be vague enough that you won't know what I mean until you finish the book, look back with this review in mind, and get it. Maybe you won't agree. Either way, I'd love to chat about this with a Dresden fan.

Harry Dresden is a fully-developed character -- a human on the page, as it will. Prick him and he bleeds and all that.

Except.

Except he's starting not to respond to events the way I've so far been able to count on him responding. The guy started off one of his own novels being physically ill because he was upset by the violence he'd just witnessed. He's not Clint Eastwood, nor does he want to be.

I hate being kept in suspense too long as much as any reader, but I'm annoyed that I'm starting to say, "Oh, wait -- it's going to be okay" long before I've been given official word that things are, in fact, okay.

If you've read the series -- the whole series, not just up to this book -- go ahead and read the spoiler below. If you haven't read the series but think you might, DON'T read the spoiler, because it turns out that word is entirely accurate.

Harry Dresden didn't react at all to the fact that he'd witnessed his dog being murdered a book or two ago, and that's how I knew his dog was somehow actually okay. He had the same utter lack of reaction when he saw Michael shot in a way that should have meant the end of Michael. And hey, look! Jokey-jokey time right after Butters takes a well-aimed bullet from a professional killer, and guess who's okay after all?

Somebody tell Butcher that he keeps giving his hand away. I'm very surprised his agent and/or editor haven't caught this tell, but it's real and it's kind of a bummer to hardcore nerd readers like me.

He still gets five stars, though, because he's still doing everything else right. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Series continues strong. Many series can become stale when they hit the 10 book mark, but Jim Butcher keeps it exciting and fresh. Character development happens slowly but steadily keeping you locked in and curious what Harry is going to do next. ( )
  renbedell | Jul 8, 2015 |
Not many of the Dresden novels make me cry, but this one does, every time I read it. Possibly even more so with this audio version narrated by James Marsters. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 19, 2015 |
As usual a good romp. Its nice to see Harry grow as a man and a wizard.some of my favorite characters were present in this one which is always a plus. I think I would like to read all about Thomas though...( you will know what I am talking about if you KNOW Thomas), Maybe I'll send a note to Mr. Butcher....:)

OH I will read on. The fact the each book has a beginning, middle and END are huge. And yes...there is a much bigger picture but its not the end all. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the forum going fans at jim-butcher.com. I'm pretty sure your bosses would be upset if they saw your posting stats, guys, but I won't tell if you won't.
Winter came early that year; it should have been a tip-off.
I ask people impertinent questions . . . Hopefully turning up pertinent answers.
Humanity, when frightened and angry, is a force even the supernatural world does not wish to reckon with.

From the book flap

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks bright.

But the past casts on hell of a long shadow.

An old bargain has placed Harry in debt to Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, the Queen of Air and Darkness - and she's calling in her marker. Dresden still owes the Winter Queen two favors, and it's time to pay one of them off. Just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits.

It figures. Everything was going too well to last...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462009, Mass Market Paperback)

THE New York Times Bestseller

Harry Dresden?s life finally seems to be calming down?until a shadow from the past returns. Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry?one small favor that will trap him between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and that will strain his skills?and loyalties?to their very limits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden's calm life is interrupted when Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, decides to call in a favor that Harry owes her, sending him on a quest that leaves him trapped between a deadly foe and an untrustworthy ally.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,104,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible