The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery

The Blue Castle (1926)

by L. M. Montgomery

Persuasion by Jane Austen (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    The Young Clementina by D. E. Stevenson (emanate28)
    emanate28: A bit of a fairy tale, it deals with a young woman who is resigned to being alone...but finds her life's not over yet!
    The Ladies of Missalonghi by Colleen McCullough (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: Until I reread them both, I actually confused these two stories. I think that if you enjoy one, you'll enjoy the other.
    A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (infiniteletters)
    Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: Both heroes are charming rakes.
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (SunnySD)

My second L.M Montgomery book and it was as good as my first. I felt I had to know how the book ended when I had about 50 pages left. I haven't that ravenous need to find out what happens in a book for quite awhile. I loved that Valancy and Barney were kindred spirits (à la Anne Shirley), there is no other way to describe them. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
Reads almost like wistful mary-sue fic set in the wilds of 1920s Canada. And yet it was so completely satisfying. ( )
  AjaxBell | Aug 24, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jun 9, 2017 |
"Valancy lives a drab life with her overbearing mother and prying aunt. Then a shocking diagnosis from Dr. Trent prompts her to make a fresh start. For the first time, she does and says exactly what she feels. As she expands her limited horizons, Valancy undergoes a transformation, discovering a new world of love and happiness. One of Lucy Maud Montgomery's only novels intended for an adult audience, The Blue Castle is filled with humour and romance."
  cs13j | May 22, 2017 |
Oh you can see the ending a mile away, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying this book. Valancy is a really lovely character and a woman you can really get behind, though to expect anything less of L.M. Montgomery would be frankly quite foolish. What made this better was reading it on the porch of the 1920s farmhouse at the museum, dressed in my bright gingham and my apron with a straw hat on my head. "Micha of Grey Gables," my family called me this summer, meaning I felt more than prepared to get into the mentality of a Montgomery novel. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salonen, A. J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If it had not rained on a certain May morning Valancy Stirling's whole life would have been entirely different. She would have gone with the rest of her clan to Aunt wellington'd engagement picnic and Dr. Trent would have gone to Montreal. But it did rain and you shall hear what happened to her because of it.
...fringed by aspens that were always quivering with some supernal joy.
Love! What a searing, torturing, intolerably sweet thing it was - the possession of body, soul and mind! With something at its core as fine and remote and purely spiritual as the tiny blue spark in the heart of an unbreakable diamond.
The new moons always looked down through it (the oriel window), the lower pine boughs swayed about the top of it, and all through the nights the soft, dim silver of the lake dreamed through it.
In a corner a nice, tall, lazy old clock ticked - the right kind of a clock. One that did not hurry the hours awaybut ticked them off deliberately. It was the jolliest looking old clock. A fat, corpulent clock with a great, round man's face painted on it, the hands stretching out of its nose and the hours encircling it like a halo.
...they ate out on the verandah that almost overhung the lake... Supper was the meal that Valency loved best. The faint laughter of winds was always about them and the colours of Mistawis, imperial and spiritual, under the changing clouds, were something that cannot be expressed in mere words. Shadows, too. Clustering in the pines until a wind shook them out and pursued them over Mistawis. They lay all day along the shores, threaded by ferns and wild blossoms. they stole around the headlands in the glow of the sunset, until twilight wove them all into one great web of dusk.

From the back cover: At twenty-nine Valancy had never been in love, and it seemed romance had passed her by. Living with her overbearing mother and meddlesome aunt, she found her only consolations in the "forbidden" books of John Foster and her daydreams of the Blue Castle. Then a letter arrived from Dr. Trent -- and Valancy decided to throw caution to the winds. For the first time in her life Valancy did and said exactly what she wanted. Soon she discovered a surprising new world, full of love and adventures far beyond her most secret dreams.

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553280511, Mass Market Paperback)

At twenty-nine Valancy had never been in love,  and it seemed romance had passed her by. Living with  her overbearing mother and meddlesome aunt, she  found her only consolations in the "forbidden"  books of John Foster and her daydreams of the Blue  Castle. Then a letter arrived from Dr. Trent --  and Valancy decided to throw caution to the winds.  For the first time in her life Valancy did and  said exactly what she wanted. Soon she discovered a  surprising new world, full of love and adventures  far beyond her most secret dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

Valancy Stirling, 29, lives with her overbearing mother and meddlesome aunt and worries that she will never find love and marriage. She finds the only consolation for her loneliness in the "forbidden" books of John Foster and her daydreams of the Blue Castle. But when a letter arrives from Dr. Trent she finally dares to do and say exactly what she wants to with surprising and wonderful results.… (more)

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,520,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible