The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest…

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson

Member:bucketyell
Title:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Knopf (2010), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, Hardcover, 576 pages
Collections:Read in 2010
Tags:READ >2011

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (2007)

The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (500)  Dutch (19)  Spanish (10)  French (8)  Swedish (8)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  German (5)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (573)
The ending and the beginning of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is what made the book good and have a satisfying ending to the series. I didn't like this book as much as the 2nd one but it was still very interesting. What I did dislike about it was the set up of it, the beginning basically tells you everything and then the rest of the book is seeing how Blomkvist and the other figure this out. This made it hard to keep track of what they already know and how they found out, as well as what they have left to figure out. It got a little repetitive and since the reader already knows this information it was getting a bit old and just wanted it to speed up. What compensates for this is the random drama with Berger that has nothing to do with the overall plot. The last part of the book is perfect and is very suspension despite taking place in a courtroom. The actual ending was very well done and not over the top at all.

I was a bit disappointed that Salader's tattoos were never explained nor was anything really done with her sister, but I later discovered the series was planned to be 10 books and that the 4th book went more into her background. It's unfortunate the author passed away and we are left with a incomplete series but I think if it had to be cut short the 3rd book wasn't a bad place to stop. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |

GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
Lots of people have read the trilogy, so who cares what I have to say?

I read the first two -- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire -- so long ago I could hardly remember much about them except recalling I enjoyed the first and was disappointed by the second. Then a friend enthused "Oh, the third one is the best!"

Not sure about that. But it IS the biggest. And I did enjoy it. The plot is marvellously complex. There is a cast of thousands. Indeed, a list of characters at the front of the book would help a lot! And, it's the kind of book that keeps you reading.

On the downside, there are no real surprises. The plot follows its logic right to the end, even in the lengthy denouement which wraps up the last man standing. You know "who done it" early in the book, and you work your way along until they are all done like a dinner. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jun 15, 2015 |
A satisfying end to a wonderful trilogy. What do I do now that I've finished it? Well, move on to some other wonderful books, of course. But let's rewind here to take a look at the stars.

Mikael Blomkvist. Millennium reporter and womanizer extraordinaire. Quick thinker, but sometimes dwells too much on a particular subject. Problem-solver. He'll resort to making a deal with someone to get information that he needs...and then perhaps find a loophole to break that deal. An all-around good guy. He's our male hero of the series. The majority of his character development, I should say, happened in the first book, [b:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|2429135|The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1293975922s/2429135.jpg|1708725]. It is in that story that we first meet him under severe circumstances, where he is convicted of libel and pretty much falls off the face of the earth...for a while. But after solving a mystery that has haunted the town of Hedestad for decades, he suddenly becomes the person to turn to (for the reader). He's the one with the guts to do things we might not otherwise do. In the next two installments in the Millennium series, he's at least consistent with his personality. He's still a womanizer. He still cares a great deal for his friends. And he will still stop at nothing to protect those he cares about. But if I did have to pick one aspect about his character that develops over the course of the last book, it would be in the fact that he finally finds a love interest that can ground him a bit. I did find their meeting and slow process of falling in love to be pushing it a bit, but at least he was still in character. If there had been more books, it's likely that this relationship could have developed a bit more.

Next main character:

Lisbeth Salander. The social recluse. The psychopath killer. The S&M lesbian satanist. The victim. Whatever you want to label her, she really doesn't give a shhh. She's her own person, and very proud to be that. If you've watched the movie(s), the character of Lisbeth is portrayed really well. But if you really want to feel how she feels and get a sense of how much of an individual she is, then reading the book is a much better option. One part that stands out in the reflection of her individuality is during the climax of the book when the characters are in court, and she accentuates her individualism. There's really no stopping her.

I felt that the development of Salander was the greatest in this last installment, a nice foil in contrast to Blomkvist. Throughout the series, Salander acts as the strong, female character. She can do anything. She has a photographic memory. She can hack computers like nobody's business. And she can pummel a man who's three times her size. She doesn't need any help, does she? In these cases, no. But nobody is invincible, not even Lisbeth. She has her doubts, of course. When all these knights in shining armor come to her rescue, she wants nothing to do with them. "According to Giannini, both of them said they would be in her corner, but those were words. They could not do anything to solve her private problems." Or so she thought. Throughout this story, Lisbeth learned something that she had lost since childhood: trust. Yes, society does sometimes turn its back on us. Yes, there's shady business going on in the world beyond our grasp, in a government run by those who lambaste the truth. But you have to admit, not every single soul is like that. And if there's one thing that she could learn to remove her from the shackles of disdain and suspicion, it's accepting those who want to help her: "She had decided that for once she was going to do as he advised. She would test the system. Blomkvist had convinced her that she had nothing to lose, and he was offering her a chance to escape in a very different way. If the plan failed, she would simply have to plot her escape from St. Stefan's or whichever other nuthouse they put her in." Ok...maybe she didn't have complete trust yet, but was getting there.

What Lisbeth represents is a group of people who are victims of the system. Although her case might be just a tad bit extreme, there are those out there that are in circumstances that are far worse than one can imagine. In a society where evils and atrocities happen, what do we do? She we turn a blind eye to it, and hope it doesn't affect us directly? Lisbeth is a strong character who takes matters into her own hands, in more instances than one. But she learns from her mistakes. But remember, she's not the only hero in the story! [a:Stieg Larsson|706255|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1246466225p2/706255.jpg] presents with two of them: Salander and Blomkvist. You may be the victim, or you may be the bystander. But no matter which one you are, there's still something you can do. Just do it.

Now let's move on to plot. Was it believable? Just barely. Did I care? Of course not! In the first book, there was a single antagonist who perpetrated violence against some women. In the second book, it was a whole trafficking scenario, a systemized form of violence against women. But in the third book, it gets even bigger: "One more thing. We're no longer in a battle with a gang of criminals; this time it's with a government department. It's going to be tough." Blomkvist is right. It's a whole different ballgame here. It's a lot bigger in scope, and there are a lot of different parties involved. Luckily, it doesn't get too convoluted. Granted, some unnecessary characters are killed off so there aren't too many people running around. Still, I enjoyed the story because of the fact that it's a story. Crazy things have got to happen in a good book, right?

Overall, I've got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I wish there could have been more, but unfortunately the author has since passed away. Rest in peace Stieg Larsson. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Real good. A bit slower as the first two, as the reader is expected to grasp some political and historical background of Sweden. Nevertheless, all is set out to the reader in a very digestible manner.

So sad we'll never get to know more about Salander and Blomkvist, probably the characters who feel most `real' to me since a very long time. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Stieg Larssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ortega Ramón, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uppskattningsvis sex hundra kvinnor tjänstgjorde i amerikanska inbördeskriget.
An estimated 600 women served during the American Civil War.
Luftslottet som sprängdes ("The Aircastle that Blew Up"), 2007, known in French translation as "La Reine dans le Palais des Courants d'Air" and in English as "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."
"Purustatud õhuloss" is the Estonian translation of "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", Book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy.

This is the last book in the Millenium series of novels by Stieg Larsson, concerning Lisbeth Salanders fight to stay away from an asylum.

Salander is plotting her revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and against the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. But it is not going to be a straightforward campaign. After taking a bullet to the head, Salander is under close supervision in Intensive Care, and is set to face trial for three murders and one attempted murder on her eventual release. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist and his researchers at Millennium magazine, Salander must not only prove her innocence, but identify and denounce the corrupt politicians that have allowed the vulnerable to become victims of abuse and violence. Once a victim herself, Salander is now ready to fight back.

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)

5 1982

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,879,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible