The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by…

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

Member:msf59
Title:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 576 pages
Tags:audiobook, thriller, trilogy

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (2007)

The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (523)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (10)  Swedish (8)  French (8)  Italian (6)  German (5)  Danish (5)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (597)
love this series ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
Nothing earth-shattering about this series, but it's an easy, entertaining read. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Three very good reads. I rattled through all three, they had me hooked. ( )
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |
An author that engages you totally in the story. Excellent from beginning to end. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
This picks up directly where The Girl Who Played with Fire left off and therefore does not share it's slow start/burn. The action is immediate and as we already know (& love) the characters, we understand exactly what is happening and the danger that Lisbeth is facing (both obvious & covert).

I'm trying to think of what to say about this book that I haven't already said about the first & second. As previously, the story is pacy and gripping, the characters well painted (although there is some reliance on knowledge of previous books, I don't think it impacts a 'newer' reader). Ok, the first book stood alone, I'm not sure if the second & third really do. I think if you read one without the other you would definitely be missing out. (I heard of someone who read the 3rd book first - why would you do that???).

This book finally pulls all the threads together - no, not everyone will live happily ever after, but I was 'satisfied' with the ending. Maybe a predictable outcome, but not a predictable path to it.

I took longer than expected to read this book purely because I knew that whenever I picked it up, I couldn't just put it down after a chapter. I read the first 150 pages in a sitting & When I finished it, I read 250 pages because there was no way I could leave it for another day.

When I read #2 I said "Fabulous book, fabulous 1st two books, fully expect it to be a fabulous trilogy!" & I was right. Yes, Fabulous Trilogy!

(nb I have heard tell that there is a 4th book that was 'in progress' when the author died. I wonder if it's true & whether it will ever see the light of day?) ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uppskattningsvis sex hundra kvinnor tjänstgjorde i amerikanska inbördeskriget.
An estimated 600 women served during the American Civil War.
Luftslottet som sprängdes ("The Aircastle that Blew Up"), 2007, known in French translation as "La Reine dans le Palais des Courants d'Air" and in English as "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."
"Purustatud õhuloss" is the Estonian translation of "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", Book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy.

This is the last book in the Millenium series of novels by Stieg Larsson, concerning Lisbeth Salanders fight to stay away from an asylum.

Salander is plotting her revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and against the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. But it is not going to be a straightforward campaign. After taking a bullet to the head, Salander is under close supervision in Intensive Care, and is set to face trial for three murders and one attempted murder on her eventual release. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist and his researchers at Millennium magazine, Salander must not only prove her innocence, but identify and denounce the corrupt politicians that have allowed the vulnerable to become victims of abuse and violence. Once a victim herself, Salander is now ready to fight back.

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)

5 2060

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,076,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible