The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by…

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

Member:msf59
Title:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 576 pages
Tags:audiobook, thriller, trilogy

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (2007)

2010 (156) 2011 (81) audiobook (62) conspiracy (57) crime (543) crime fiction (233) detective (93) ebook (122) fiction (1,224) journalism (125) Kindle (136) Lisbeth Salander (125) Mikael Blomkvist (57) Millennium (108) Millennium Trilogy (148) murder (121) mystery (788) novel (144) read (180) read in 2010 (116) series (124) Stieg Larsson (60) Stockholm (70) suspense (157) Sweden (717) swedish (167) Swedish literature (83) thriller (686) to-read (153) trilogy (66)
    The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (482)  Dutch (19)  Spanish (10)  French (8)  Swedish (8)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  German (5)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (555)
good ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
The 2nd and 3rd books (this is the 3rd) in this trilogy are essentially one long book which breaks part way through. They are pretty good and I got through them fast enough, but could probably bear some editing. ( )
1 vote AlisonSakai | May 8, 2014 |
A book that rounds out the trilogy in a perfect way. It all comes together in an amazing way and leaves you satisfied with the character's actions, the writing, and the plot. An amazing series all around. ( )
  cfranson | Apr 7, 2014 |
Having finished this I feel as though I could sit a GCSE in the principles underpinning the Swedish democracy, such was the forensic detail in which such subjects were examined. Many an editor would have insisted on cutting great swathes of textbook-style lecturing to get the book down to a more manageable size. On balance I’m glad they were left in. We might also have had to dispense with such plot diversions as the delightful Vietnamese toilet scandal (not a sentence I ever expected to type). This book was written to be a great big doorstopper and for all its faults I liked it that way.

Looking back over the trilogy, you could say that the first book was the build-up, the second book contained the action, and the third book was the resolution. I disliked the first, loved the second, and rate the third as almost as good. One of the things I particularly liked was the way seemingly insignificant details earlier on in the series came into play in the final book.

It was so complicated – so many things were going on at once it was hard to keep them all in my head. it kept every part of my brain working. Now it’s finished I feel bereft without it. ( )
  jayne_charles | Apr 6, 2014 |
Dear Mr. Larsson,

What happened, buddy?

You and I were on such great terms! I loved the first two parts of Millennium series, especially the second installment.. and although some people found it annoying, your style of writing about every single thing everyone did in the run of a day was enjoyable.

Brandon woke up, turned off the alarm clock. He stepped out of bed and walked to the kitchen. He took out a loaf of bread and put two slices in the toaster. He waited until the bread was browned nicely on both sides and grabbed the butter. Applying a generous amount, he was standing before his breakfast.

There's something about that I just like - I don't know why..I just do.

Then why did I have such a hard time staying awake during your third novel? Honestly, I fell asleep no less than 5 times trying to read this. Your pace and passion for writing about Lisbeth seemed to disappear this time around. Even Michael Bloomkvist took a backseat in this one. How did you make a police procedural novel so dull? Arg, I feel so let down.

Overall, I had a general feeling that this novel wasn't entirely necessary. I guess with the way things were left at the end of [b:The Girl Who Played with Fire|5060378|The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)|Stieg Larsson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351778881s/5060378.jpg|6976108], there was some interest in how this all would wrap up. I, for one, would have been happy leaving it at that but that's just me.

While I was satisfied with the general outcome and the series' conclusion, it was just the journey to get there that bothered me so much. It should be noted that this doesn't affect my view of your first two entries - I still love those books and because of that, I actually felt guilty not rating this higher.

I still eagerly anticipate the arrival of your American film adaptations. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm writing this review addressed to you. It's not like you can read it.

** On another note, this may be my own fault, but I had a very difficult time keeping track of the characters. I mean, there were A LOT of people in this novel. All of which had names I continuously lost track of. I felt like I should have had a notebook next to me while reading. That's no fault of Stieg's - I'm sure he didn't anticipate a guy from Eastern Canada who once became lost while watching this movie to read his novel.

Also posted at Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Stieg Larssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uppskattningsvis sex hundra kvinnor tjänstgjorde i amerikanska inbördeskriget.
An estimated 600 women served during the American Civil War.
Luftslottet som sprängdes ("The Aircastle that Blew Up"), 2007, known in French translation as "La Reine dans le Palais des Courants d'Air" and in English as "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."
"Purustatud õhuloss" is the Estonian translation of "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", Book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy.

This is the last book in the Millenium series of novels by Stieg Larsson, concerning Lisbeth Salanders fight to stay away from an asylum.

Salander is plotting her revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and against the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. But it is not going to be a straightforward campaign. After taking a bullet to the head, Salander is under close supervision in Intensive Care, and is set to face trial for three murders and one attempted murder on her eventual release. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist and his researchers at Millennium magazine, Salander must not only prove her innocence, but identify and denounce the corrupt politicians that have allowed the vulnerable to become victims of abuse and violence. Once a victim herself, Salander is now ready to fight back.

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)

4 2037

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible