The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest…

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

Member:mobamoba
Title:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2010), Hardcover, 576 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mystery

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (2007)

Recently added bykollarnunez, jlee1287, Carleyss, Lombart, laurasue87, DBogue, DarkPizza, private library, kpevjen
    The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (495)  Dutch (19)  Spanish (10)  French (8)  Swedish (8)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  German (5)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (568)
Ahhh.. that was nice :) ( )
  waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" was for me the most uneven of the trilogy. Larsson's novel does not really start picking up until around page 300, when Blomkvist hooks up with yet another woman, this time a bodybuilder ex-cop who joins a government police force. But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

The first part of the novel picks up where the last one left off with Salander, after having been shot in the head is flown to the hospital and put through surgery. And her father Zalachenko, who somehow survived her axe attack, is sent to the same hospital!

Larsson's characters are really interesting in how he writes them. I mean he'll write practically a full biography. If we meet his character in the bathroom, say, then we can be assured of the brand of shaving cream and who owns the building.

Despite this maddening detail, the book is an interesting one, once you plow through all the unnecessary history of Swedish politics.

To summarize briefly, the reader knows of a secret organization within the secret police of Sweden called The Section, or as Blomkvist calls it, the Zalachenko Club. They can't seem to deal with the current crisis so they call in old spies from the 1960s, one on dialysis and the other dying of cancer, who both feel they have nothing to lose and so proceed to take over and push their weight around. They are above the law.

Larsson criticizes incompetence in many ways as well as writing to what extent the quirkiness of his characters will take them.

Several points of interest:

The author makes a big deal of Salander's part of the brain getting damaged by a bullet but that damage only pertains to her mathematical ability. She can no longer remember some math theorem eluded to in the second book. Nothing is really made of this.

Second, a story within a story I found fascinating, with Berger's new appointment to SMP, how the reader is lead to believe that her stalker is one of the crew of her new paper, but we are shocked as to whom it turns out to be.

Third, the book really picks up when we see Blomkvist's journalistic muscles flex, and Salander's return to the computer to hack her way to freedom from threats and false accusations.

Larsson's Criticisms:

Much is made of the media and its propensity to grab a news story, usually on the back of someone else's work, and run with it, making things up as they go along. Salander was painted by the media to be some kind of lesbian Satanist if you could believe that!

Larsson also criticizes the arrogant presumptions of those in authority: the police detective at the beginning, who does not believe Blomkvist's assertions and through the cop's incompetence let's a murderer go free.

Or Teleborian, a psychiatrist to whom others worship and can do no wrong, until Salander's hacking crew find some interesting photos on his laptop!

Or Clinton, the spy ring master, who feels those around him are incompetent and soft and starts a murder spree across Sweden.

Bottom Line:

Worthy continuation from the second book. Many points are finally wrapped up but it takes some time to wrap them. Even the escape of the murderer at the start of the story is not even confronted until the end of the book!

Strong women pepper the book in a positive way: Figueroa, Berger, Giannini (Blomkvist's lawyer sister) and Salander all show some aspect of women that is prideful and fascinating as they make their way through a Swedish man's world.

And the Blomkvist womanizing, journalistic genius and Salander's hacking skill from the first book is reprised here, which is what made the book interesting.

Ah, now if we could only have edited out about 200 pages of Swedish politics!

Suggestion:

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy Deluxe Boxed Set: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Plus On Stieg Larsson
The Man Who Left Too Soon: The Biography of Stieg Larsson
The Tattooed Girl: The Enigma of Stieg Larsson and the Secrets Behind the Most Compelling Thrillers of Our Time
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
This series is not for everyone. The pacing is slow and steady, the characters not necessarily heroic or morally righteous, and the events that shape the characters painful and humiliating. There is not a romantic ending or denouement, and the good guys get knocked on their butts when a just world would support their empowerment.

That said, I enjoyed this novel and the rest of the series much more than I expected to. Psychologically, the characters are more complex than the average reader might encounter, and the decisions they make are consistent with their personalities, but not at all what I might have chosen. The characters are nevertheless compelling and I root for them to overcome the challenges in their path.

The sordid parts of this series can descend into brutality, and the difficult social awkwardness of Salander complicates her life, making it more likely she will encounter more ugliness, though this is not her intent.

Salander's friendship with Blomkvist provides the series' a path to resolution, although not as a romantic reader might have envisioned it. Nothing happened as I expected, and yet, I was immensely satisfied with the series.

None of the books stands alone. In book 1, the friendship is set, in book 2, Salander's attempts to simplify her life only complicate it further, and in book 3, nothing makes much sense unless you have the weighty emotional history of the two previous books in mind when you read it. I relish the fact that a rehash of the previous novels is not dragged into the story. I find that muddies the current story unnecessarily. Find The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and read it first. ( )

CorinasQuill | Aug 31, 2014 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Stieg Larssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uppskattningsvis sex hundra kvinnor tjänstgjorde i amerikanska inbördeskriget.
An estimated 600 women served during the American Civil War.
Luftslottet som sprängdes ("The Aircastle that Blew Up"), 2007, known in French translation as "La Reine dans le Palais des Courants d'Air" and in English as "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."
"Purustatud õhuloss" is the Estonian translation of "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest", Book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy.

This is the last book in the Millenium series of novels by Stieg Larsson, concerning Lisbeth Salanders fight to stay away from an asylum.

Salander is plotting her revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and against the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. But it is not going to be a straightforward campaign. After taking a bullet to the head, Salander is under close supervision in Intensive Care, and is set to face trial for three murders and one attempted murder on her eventual release. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist and his researchers at Millennium magazine, Salander must not only prove her innocence, but identify and denounce the corrupt politicians that have allowed the vulnerable to become victims of abuse and violence. Once a victim herself, Salander is now ready to fight back.

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)

4 2064

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible