The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A.…

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (original 1974; edition 1976)

by Patricia A. McKillip

Member:mirrordrum
Title:The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Authors:Patricia A. McKillip
Info:Avon Books (1976), Mass Market Paperback

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip (Author) (1974)

The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip (jillmwo)
    jillmwo: The description of the medieval kitchen in this book is absolutely marvelous!
    The Phoenix and the Mirror by Avram Davidson (BeckyJP)

A sorceress lives on a mountain with a menagerie of fantastic creatures. One day, a baby is delivered to her -- her nephew. As she raises him and interacts with the world of men below her mountain she finds love, anger, sorrow, revenge and redemption. The tale moves along with efficiency, almost inevitability. The language is clear and evocative. ( )
  questbird | Jul 12, 2014 |
A lovely little story. Beautifully written in almost poetic, flowing language. It's just not for me. I would have loved it when I was 14... probably would've given it 5 stars, but alas (or thank gawd) it's been a very long time since I've been 14. I'm glad I read it either way. ( )
  CaliSoleil | Mar 5, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-g3
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-g3 ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 10, 2014 |
One day [a:Patricia A. McKillip|25|Patricia A. McKillip|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1220752490p2/25.jpg] will write a bad book and that'll be the first sign of the impending apocalypse. I have no idea how I went through so many years of my life without having read her books. Actually, that would probably be because there are no Portuguese translations and I have to buy the originals from the UK.

[b:The Forgotten Beasts of Eld|81069|The Forgotten Beasts of Eld|Patricia A. McKillip|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170993537s/81069.jpg|2934] is, in a word, delightful. Like all of McKillip's books the reader is lost in her magical worlds from the very first page. She writes things and they seem to come alive, to leave the written paper and surround you, wherever you may be reading.

Honestly, this book was so wonderful I was almost run over by a car while reading it and walking on the street. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
Beautifully written and quite a quick read.. A great introduction to McKillip. The plot was.. Well it was fine, nothing wrong with it, but nothing exceptional either. That's probably why it's only getting 3.5 stars. The writing was very beautiful, and still very readable as well, but the plot didn't necessarily blow me away. I wasn't bored... But I wasn't compulsively compelled to continue reading either.

So 2.5 stars, rounded to three. I'll definitely be trying more by this author.

breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Patricia A. McKillipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, with thanks
The wizard Heald coupled with a poor woman once, in the king's city of Mondor, and she bore a son with one green eye and one black eye.

Sixteen when a baby is brought to her to raise, Sybel has grown up on Eld Mountain with only the fantastic creatures called there by wizardry as playmates. She has cared nothing for humans, until the baby awakens emotions previously unknown. And when Coren - the man who brought this child - returns, Sybel's serenity is again shattered.

"Is this all you want? To live here on this mountain, speaking only to animals who live in the dreams of their past? Tam one day will not need you. What will you have in your life but a silence that is meaningless. Who will you laugh with? Who will you love? Beyond this mountain there is a place for you among the living."

Sybel did not speak. When she did not move, Coren reached out. "Sybel," he whispered, and she rose abruptly, left him without looking back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152055363, Paperback)

Almost destroyed because of a man's fear and greed, Sybel, a beautiful young sorceress, embarks on a quest for revenge that proves equally destructive. Winner of the World Fantasy award, this exquisitely written story has something for almost every reader: adventure, romance and a resonant mythology that reveals powerful truths about human nature. Locus praised it for its "marvelous heroine... and chilling sorcery" and The New York Times called it "rich and regal."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:30 -0400)

Raised on Eld mountain with only her father's magical menagerie for company, a young wizard is drawn irrevocably into the human world with all its sorrows and delights when a baby comes into her care.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,377,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible