Encounter with Silence: Reflections from the…

Encounter with Silence: Reflections from the Quaker Tradition

by John Punshon

A classic book every Quaker needs to read! Even for those who may not readily identify as "Christian," Punshon helps readers to understand our heritage. This is HIS spiritual journey, after all.

He writes with such grace. I only wish I had as strong a faith, but Punshon gives me the courage to continue to aspire to that type of communion with God.

In conclusion, he wrote: "Finally, my death is certain, but I do not regard that with fear. I am not moved to seek my own pleasure or advantage, but rather I have a sense of missed opportunity, false starts, visions of what might have been. At one and the same time, I know the possibility of perfection and that I am a sinner. Peter said, 'Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.' But the Lord did not. At a camp meeting they ask for forgiveness. In a monastery they ask for mercy. I ask to be healed" (p131). ( )
  kaulsu | Apr 19, 2019 |
Thoughtful and articulate exploration of Quakerism by a highly respected English Quaker. ( )
  FriendshipFLibrary | Mar 22, 2016 |
Silence is a key characteristic of Quaker worship. The author shares his experience of learning to wait in the silence and find God. Perfect for seekers, inquirers and seasoned Friends.
  DevizesQuakers | Dec 3, 2015 |
This was a slow book to digest, but worth the read. I now know the difference between silence and stillness and hopefully will practice the latter. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Apr 6, 2015 |
Excellent exposition of one man's Quaker journey. ( )
  iceT | May 18, 2009 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible