Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

Rhett Butler's People (edition 2007)

by Donald McCaig

Member:amysmack18
Title:Rhett Butler's People
Authors:Donald McCaig
Info:St. Martin's Press (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 512 pages

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

English (63)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (65)
A worthy companion to Gone With The Wind -- and so much better than Scarlett there aren't words enough to tell. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Who was Rhett Butler before Scarlett O’Hara? What happened after Rhett told her he did not give a damn?

Rhett Butler always was one to speak his mind, even to his father which did not make for an easy childhood but he learned to stand on his own two feet. A lesson that was invaluable throughout his life, especially during the war. Yet it was those two feet that kept coming back to Scarlett, for better or worse. In business, he knows when to fight and when to cut his losses but how does that translate to his personal life?

I enjoyed this retelling, I know others did not but I thought it delved deeper into Rhett’s life before Scarlett and shed light on the characters of the other Southern gentlemen after the Civil War. David McCraig was not kind to some of Margaret Mitchell’s other characters but often history is not kind when you look at it through a 21st century perspective. He seems to flip the story upside down which some fans will not like… I like Gone With the Wind and I enjoyed Rhett Butler’s People. Yes, a bit long but it kept me entertained. ( )
  Shuffy2 | Oct 25, 2017 |
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. This gem gives us unknown insight into Rhett's past and we discover connections we could only have guessed at. I mean who could have known that Rhett is essentially the reason that Belle Watling became a fallen woman? Then there is the story that continues after where the original left off. I always want to know what happens after the book is done and with this prequel/sequel I get a little bit of everything. ( )
  JessBass87 | Dec 2, 2016 |
I didn't know this book ever existed until I borrowed it from a friend that works at the court house. she brought to me at work when she came and seen her dad and father in law at nursing home
I found it really interesting ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
Ultimately disappointing. While it was pleasant to spend time with some beloved characters, this author manages to make them shallower, smaller, and more petty than we know them to be from the original story. Most of the book harmlessly fills in small gaps and scenes left open in GWTW, but then he tacks on a contrived happy ending that cheapens the overall story.

I have also read Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett, which did a much better job of keeping the spirit of the characters intact, and managed to realistically portray them as they mature.

I am not going to read McCaig's book about Mammy; after having read this one I'm not sure he can be trusted with a grand character like hers. He already drastically changed her storyline in this book, and managed to diminish her as a central figure.

GWTW is in my top 5 all time favorites, and I expect authors to tread this territory carefully. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
For Paul H. Anderson

Faithful Fiduciary
One hour before sunrise, twelve years before the war, a closed carriage hurried through the Carolina Low Country.
At a country barbecue on a hot afternoon in Clayton County, Georgia, the War finally ended.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312262515, Hardcover)

Margaret Mitchell's story of Scarlett O'Hara's and Rhett Butler's beguiling, twisted love for each other, set against the gruesome background of a nation torn apart by war, is by all accounts epic--so much so that it feels untouchable. Yet McCaig's take on what many would consider a sacred cow of 20th-century American literature is a worthy suitor for Mitchell's many ardent fans, for reasons that may not be altogether obvious. It would be easy to look at Gone With the Wind and Rhett Butler’s People side by side and catalog what is accurate and what isn't and tally up the score. In doing so, however, the fan is apt to miss out on the best part of this whole book: Rhett Butler himself. McCaig's Rhett is thoroughly modern, both a product of his Charleston plantation and an emphatic rejection of it. He is filled with romance and ingenuity, grit and wit, and a toughness matched only by a sense of humility that evokes so gracefully the hardship and heartbreak of a society falling apart. It's not hard to love Rhett in his weakness for Scarlett's love, but it is entirely amazing to love him as he rescues Belle Watling, mentors her bright young son Tazewell, adores his sister Rosemary, dotes on dear Bonnie Blue, and defends his best friend Tunis Bonneau to the very end.

To pluck a character from a beloved book and recalibrate the story's point-of-view isn't an easy thing to do. Ultimately, the new must ring true with the old, and this is where Rhett Butler’s People succeeds beyond measure. In the spirit of Mitchell's masterpiece, McCaig never questions that love--of family, lover, land, or country--is the tie that binds these characters to life, for better or worse. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

Tells the story of Rhett Butler, the hero of "Gone with the wind", and the many people who had important roles in his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,580,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible