Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert…

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

by Robert Barry

Cute, would be a fun one to own and read every year. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a new one for me, though I know it's been around forever. I'm very picky about Christmas picture books, and this one totally makes the cut. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
This is a funny sort of Christmas story. All the trees that are born of the first tree and all of it coming full circle back to the space beneath the first tree were well placed. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
A great book to teach the lesson of happiness during Christmastime. This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and I think the story line is perfect for young children. The animals and Mr. Willowby make the story that starts with one Christmas tree that is a little too big. The rhyming helps the story move along. Definitely recommend this; will become a family favorite for sure! ( )
  coolcaro | Jan 21, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385327218, Hardcover)

Mr. Willowby, the unwitting hero of this Christmas classic, looks quite a bit like the little mustachioed mascot from Monopoly. But as befits a Yuletide tale, this diminutive millionaire turns out to be a good bit more generous.

The Christmas tree in question shows up at Mr. Willowby's home by special order, aboard a big pink truck: "Full and fresh and glistening green--The biggest tree he had ever seen." But it's just a little too big, so he asks his butler, Baxter, to trim off the top few feet that brush up against the parlor ceiling. Baxter realizes that this snipped-off top would make a perfect little tree for "Miss Adelaide, Mr. Willowby's upstairs maid." But she, too, must clip off the top of her tree... which then ends up with Timm, the gardener. Timm's trimming goes on to Barnaby Bear, the tippy-top of Barnaby's tree ends up with Frisky Fox and family, and then Benjamin Rabbit finds the top few inches that Mrs. Fox snipped off. And so it goes, until soon the whole countryside learns that it's simply "grand to have a tree--Exactly like Mr. Willowby."

There's many a lesson to be taken from this tale, about recycling and supply-side economics just for starters. But the cheerful illustrations of Robert Barry ensure that you'll have fun just watching as the ever-tinier tree gets passed on to ever-tinier families. (Ages 5 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Mr. Willowby's Christmas tree is too tall, so he trims off the top and gives the top to the upstairs maid for her tree, and she finds it too tall, so she cuts off the top, which the gardener uses for his tree, but it is too tall ...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible