Elijah by Jacquelyn Frank
Recently added byprivate library, BGualda, bookjunkie57, Lori.Slade, aliterarylion, atcolorado, CindyBrooks

TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |

This review can also be found on my blog.

This story takes place around six months after "Gideon". Elijah, Captain of the Demon warriors, has walked into a trap laid by the Demon defectors and Necromancers. He's near death when he's saved by Siena, Queen of the Lycanthropes. She carries him to safety and tends to his wounds. When he awakens, there's pain, confusion and ... lust?

Siena has always felt some type of attraction to the Demon also known as "the Butcher" among her people. He is like her male counterpart in many ways. She will soon learn of a few more ways before their time together is up. When Elijah makes the first move, she welcomes it at first until she realizes the consequences a mating with him would bring. Siena is a virgin Queen by choice. When Lycanthropes mate, they mate for life. In her case, her mate would automatically become her husband and King. After witnessing the suffering of her people under her father's violent rule, she has sworn to never let a man have any say in the governing of her people ever again. As if that weren't enough of an obstacle, having a Demon King wouldn't sit well with the Lycanthropes, despite the past fourteen years of peace between the races. Elijah was the warrior responsible for many Lycanthrope deaths during the centuries of war before he killed Siena's father thus ending the tyrant's rule. Surely they would not accept him as the Queen's choice of mate?

With Samhain approaching and along with it the threat of the Moon madness, Elijah tries to reason with her to accept their imprinting as Destiny's doing and to just go along with it, for both their sakes. Siena proves she can be just as stubborn as any Demon and tries to deny not only Demon, but also Lycanthrope traditions and beliefs. When Gideon and Legna propose a loophole of sorts, she jumps at the chance to have her mate and peace of mind that Elijah will not try to share her throne. Amidst the joy of the joining of the newly mated couple, the drama unfolds yet again, as Ruth and the Necromancers converge on the Demon warriors. This time, Gideon and Legna are the targets.

Elijah and Siena's story was terrific! Both of them are formidable warriors, and they like control of themselves and the situations they find themselves in. There's also a lot of pride at stake for both of them, so naturally there will be tough times when these two stubborn individuals clash. What I loved the most about Elijah was how mindful he was of her nature and his unwillingness to do anything that could hurt her, both emotionally and physically. I understood why Siena tried to deny her fate, even if it meant losing Elijah and her chance at happiness. She put her people above her own feelings – I admired that about her. When they finally resolved the problems that kept them apart, they were even better together. Her fierce protectiveness of him was so cute.

I'm so invested in these characters that whenever Ruth pops up, I feel the dread creeping in – what is the lunatic up to now and how will everyone fair against her latest vicious crusade? This time Ms Frank stepped things up a bit, and the stakes are getting higher. Some interesting things were revealed in this book, and I can't wait to see what significance they'll hold for these wonderful characters. This will undoubtedly lead to even more suspenseful stories as the series goes on. Damien's story is next, so I look forward to seeing the vampire Prince thrown into the mix.

Finally, Elijah is able to step up as Siddah for Jacob and Isabella's daughter. But holy crap – I had a laughing fit when they gave her the name she'll be called in public – they named their daughter Leah! Twilight fans will have a field day with this one. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
Took me forever to finish this book. Frank goes into such detail about this fantasy world that she's created that she goes on for pages and pages of background into the history, and politics and previous relationships. It's pages and pages of exposition. Ho hum. But I got through it. I liked the character of Elijah, but there's just something creepy about being in love with a woman that someday you might have to take to the vet. ( )
  Mumugrrl | Aug 17, 2010 |
My Thoughts…I have a love/hate relationship with the Nightwalker series. I love the storyline, the characters are great and I always come away with a sigh of enjoyment at the end of each book. But (there’s always a but), it does take a while for things to start moving and for plot lines to be revealed. It has been a trend for me in three books I’ve read into the series so far – but because of my perseverance I’ve found enjoyment in three books I may have put down had I not carried on.So, book three is centers around Elijah, guard to the Demon King and Siena, the Queen of the Lycanthropes. Both, though accepting of their races alignments, still harbor prejudices. Elijah is left for dead when Siena comes across him and despite their haste opinions of one another she takes Elijah to safety.In the safety of the mountains the couple are forced to face their growing attraction for one another. Meanwhile a familiar face is still causing trouble for the Nightwalker race and is still aligning themselves with the rallying necromancers who are out for demon blood.Final Thoughts…Do you have to read the previous books? Meh, not really – there are moments where Frank makes references to events in previous books but they’re rarely focused on for more than a couple of sentences. The big evil in this book is a running theme, which was sparked by the events at the end of the first book.So far this hasn’t been my favourite of the series. My love for Gideon (book two) because I loved the tension between Gideon and Legna and the way it evolved throughout to the end of the book (plus I can’t help but picture him as Eric Dane aka McSteamy)Though Frank's romantic descriptions tend to grow quite wordy and sometimes I feel like I'm stumbling over the words as I try to process their deeper meaning she does weave a great story and once things get rolling you get sucked in headfirst. It is off putting; the thought of having to trudge through pages in order to see the story move along, but the payout at the end is worth it. ( )
1 vote xbetty | Mar 20, 2010 |
Elijah - the Demon King's Warrior Captain is a force to be reckoned with. He is a master of every weapon and a fierce protector of his people. He has never lost a fight, but when he is ambushed and left for dead by Necromancer's - he is discovered by the one woman who just might finish the job.

Siena, the Lycanthrope Queen, finds Elijah at the brink of death. She has done everything in her power since she's been on the throne to pacify the discord between her people and the demons. But the war between their kinds took a toll on their trust, and although they have been at peace, for a little shy of a decade, it is still something that is on shaky ground. When she comes across the man who lead the warriors that killed hundreds of her lycanthrope brethren, including her father, the former King, she can only think of helping him live. But Elijah quickly realizes that he needs more from Siena then just a nurse and what starts off as attraction soon burns into a passion with consequences that will affect both their people.

Ms. Frank definitely redeemed herself in my eyes with Elijah. I absolutely loved this "odd" pairing. And I don't mean odd because they are from different races, I found them odd since Elijah spent a lot of time killing Lycanthrope's thanks to the war Siena's father started. I enjoyed learning about the Lycanthrope's and their culture. It was a treat to read of Siena and Elijah falling in love. I was somewhat annoyed at how much they fought against their feelings for one another but once those bridges were crossed they made a great pair. The struggles that Siena faced when it came to sharing her throne and the fears of her people were a big part of the story but it only gave you a better feel for the Lycanthropes. As if this was not enough to keep you on edge, the story was also riddled with all sorts of bedlam - from Necromancers to traitorous demons.

A great addition to the series - with plenty of cameo's from the characters from previous books. I love that you get to see how things are going in those relationships and introductions to upcoming one's. The universe that Ms. Frank has created is full and rich with a lot of depth - making me devour these books in a couple of hours and crying out for the next one. ( )
  bookwormygirl | Feb 16, 2010 |

Some feelings you just can't fight.

He is known as the Warrior Captain - a master of every weapon, a fierce soldier sworn to protect his kind. Powerful, relentless, merciless, Elijah has always won every battle he's ever taken on - until now. Ambushed by necromancers, he is left for dead only to be discovered by the woman who could very well deliver the final blow: Siena, the Lycanthrope Queen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0821780670, Mass Market Paperback)

He is known as the Warrior Captain - a master of every weapon, a fierce soldier sworn to protect his kind. Powerful, relentless, merciless, Elijah has always won every battle he's ever taken on - until now. Ambushed by necromancers, he is left for dead only to be discovered by the woman who could very well deliver the final blow...Siena, the Lycanthrope Queen. With three centuries of warring, little more than a decade of uneasy peace has existed between the Lycanthropes and Elijah's people. Now, after a lifetime of suspicion, the warrior in Elijah is consumed with a different battle - winning Siena's heart by giving her pleasure beyond all boundaries. What starts as attraction and arousal soon burns into a passion with consequences that will echo through the ages for both their people. And as would-be enemies become inseparable lovers, another threat approaches, one with the power to destroy them all...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:00 -0400)

Would-be enemies become inseparable lovers as a Lycanthrope Queen comes to the aid of Warrior Captain Elijah.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,623,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible