The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (1950)

by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    The Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein (fulner)
    fulner: A trip from Luna to Mars then off to the Asteroid Belt to mine. The Sapce Family Stone has fantastic story telling. Emotial respnose. REAL MATH! and a story that keeps you truning pages. Highly recommended.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.

English (200)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (221)
Probablemente, mi libro favorito de todos los tiempos.
Una absoluta obra maestra de la literatura. No te vayas de este mundo sin leerlo ;)

Lee aquí mi reseña completa. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
Although I have read some independent short stories by Bradbury, this is my first collection. Although they are all set on Mars, they are not a continuous story. Once I realized I should not be trying to find any continuity between the stories, I relaxed and just enjoyed them individually.

The initial story, Rocket Summer, was very interesting in the unexpected way the Martians dealt with the coming of the Americans. Much as I would expect we would deal with aliens alighting on our own shores. A little like looking into a mirror. I particularly liked "And the Moon Be Still as Bright", as well. I found myself understanding Spender, who finds himself at odds with his own people and goes to very extreme means to attempt to save Mars from the damage he knows will follow. "Usher II" is another captivating story, with the threads of Poe references that run through it and the very recognizable voice of Bradbury regarding both censorship and the delight of revenge.

My favorite chronicle, however, is "There Will Come Soft Rains." The title comes from the Sara Teasdale poem quoted below:

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white,

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

This poem has always been a personally meaningful one for me, it begins so softly and quietly and then reveals itself to be a commentary on all that is horrible and violent and destructive of mankind. It says so much so succinctly, and both Teasdale, in her poem, and Bradbury, in his collection of stories, are making the same point about man's foolishness and transience. The story and the poem seem to be of one piece to me. As for Bradbury and his style, I especially loved some of the imagery in the story, like the cleaning mice robots coming out of the walls to clean the house that is devoid of life.

Despite the fact that most of these stories are far from upbeat or joyous, they are also not entirely devoid of hope or promise. In the end mankind is hanging by a thread, but he is hanging. The question will be has he learned enough to do anything different on Mars than he did on Earth. Bradbury seemed to think the jury was out on that one...and if you look around you, it would seem it still is. ( )
1 vote phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I first read this book in middle school, and it was one of my first introductions to Ray Bradbury's writing. It's a magical work, really a collection of short stories, but as always it's Bradbury's thorough understanding of human nature that sets him apart. Well, that and his prose. I could die a happy man if I ever wrote something that affected people as profoundly as Bradbury's work affects me. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
Read aloud as a bedtime story for my twelve-year-old. Overall it was pretty well-suited for reading aloud.

We particularly enjoyed the early chapters that were more outright critiques of colonialism and first contact. The kids also liked the chapter written after "The Fall of the House of Usher." One chapter had so much racism that my kid got more and more upset until we finally decided just to skip it. Also, the story of the last man on Mars finding the last woman on Mars contained enough sexism and fat-shaming that he repeatedly scoffed about what a jerk the protagonist of the chapter was.

Over all we liked it. It wasn't quite what my twelve-year-old expected and wasn't quite what I remembered. The science and tech predictions haven't aged particularly well. But it's definitely a classic. ( )
  greeniezona | Apr 2, 2018 |
I read this in junior high after seeing "The Martian Chronicles" (1980) TV mini-series on TV. The show was awesome and I needed more! THE BOOK IS SO MUCH BETTER! ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
They blended religion and art and science because, at base, science is no more than an investigation of a miracle we can never explain, and art is an interpretation of that miracle.
They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressures; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,826,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible