No title (1950)

Leaving behind a world on the brink of destruction, man came to the red planet and found the Martians waiting, dreamlike. Seeking the promise of a new beginning, man brought with him his oldest fears and his deepest desires. Man conquered Mars--and in that instant, Mars conquered him. The strange new world with its ancient, dying race and vast, red-gold deserts cast a spell on him, settled into his dreams, and changed him forever.… (more)
Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    The Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein (fulner)
    fulner: A trip from Luna to Mars then off to the Asteroid Belt to mine. The Sapce Family Stone has fantastic story telling. Emotial respnose. REAL MATH! and a story that keeps you truning pages. Highly recommended.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
1950s (21)
Read (105)
Elevenses (277)

English (219)  Spanish (10)  Danish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (243)
Incredibly odd and disturbing, few books have made me think - or feel - as much as this one has. ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
This was a re-read for me. I often cite The Martian Chronicles as being one of many pivotal books for me as it helped me to discover an author who'd work I loved at a time when I was just so over reading all the teenage crap. I love Bradbury's stories and this collection does not disappoint. It's a series of tales about Mars, Martians, and Earthlings rise, fall, and determination on Mars.

While the stories are fascinating, one thing I noticed and had a hard time ignoring was the boring gender stereotypes. It makes sense that Bradbury stuck to what he knew (men are heroes, women are their wives), but it felt more foreign to me than the Martian's and their lifestyles did. As a woman, I have a hard time with these back-burner roles women are relegated to. II find that I have to remind myself, on occasion, that the stories were written several decades ago and that the author's inability (or unwillingness) to imagine a bolder future for people (women adventurers, nurturing men, etc.) doesn't take away from the stories which are already full of rich imagination and bold ideas.

So, yes, the gender stereotypes are annoying, but the stories are still good and I still love Bradbury's work. ( )
1 vote obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
Possibly my favourite Bradbury work, this is a seriously transcendent piece of literature, that had a disproportionate impact on my writing and critical faculties. It's not perfect, certainly, int its elements of Bradbury's usual flaws as a writer and in its occasional sledgehammer subtlety yet... that's to request something of the book which it is not, which is surely bad criticism. This is wonderful. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
This was a riveting collection of fiction by famed master Ray Bradbury about life on Mars from all different sides and angles. The language verges on the poetic, infused with extraplanetary wonder and possibility. It was a good, solid collection of reminiscences and possibilities woven into a narrative scheme. It should be essential reading for those interested in Bradbury or sci-fi.

3.5 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 9, 2019 |
Wow.. wasn't feeling this one so much at first, but after the first third or so I was hooked. I haven't thought this much about a book post-read in a while. ( )
  bcpeterson727 | Dec 4, 2019 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
They blended religion and art and science because, at base, science is no more than an investigation of a miracle we can never explain, and art is an interpretation of that miracle.
They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressures; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Contents: Rocket Summer | Ylla | The Summer Night | The Earth Men | The Taxpayer | The Third Expedition | And the Moon Be Still As Bright | The Settlers | The Green Morning | The Locusts | Night Meeting | The Shore | Interim | The Musicians | Way in the Middle of the Air | The Naming of Names | Usher II | The Old Ones | The Martian | The Luggage Store | The Off Season | The Watchers | The Silent Towns | The Long Years | There Will Come Soft Rains | The Million Year Picnic

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,770,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible