THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: Rocket Summer; Ylla;…

THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: Rocket Summer; Ylla; The Summer Night; The Earth… (original 1950; edition 1978)

by Ray Bradbury, Ian Miller; (Illustrator)

Member:GVassmer
Title:THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: Rocket Summer; Ylla; The Summer Night; The Earth Men; The Taxpayer; The Third Expedition; And the Moon be Still as Bright; The Settlers; The Green Morning; The Locusts; Night Meeting; The Shore; Interim; The Musicians
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Ian Miller; (Illustrator)
Info:Bantam Books (1978), Edition: 49th, Paperback, 181 pages

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (Author) (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    The Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein (fulner)
    fulner: A trip from Luna to Mars then off to the Asteroid Belt to mine. The Sapce Family Stone has fantastic story telling. Emotial respnose. REAL MATH! and a story that keeps you truning pages. Highly recommended.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
1950s (34)
Read (105)
Elevenses (268)

English (206)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (227)
I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've read this book. No one else can write a short story quite like Bradbury. He has a dark insight into the worst part of humanity, and he can chill you to the bone in a mere two pages. There's a succinct quality to his work. In a single sentence, he can reveal human nature in a way that other writers struggle to do with 500 page tomes. There's a streak of horror in his work as well, and what makes it truly terrifying is that the thing he makes you fear is us. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 3, 2018 |
Possibly my favourite Bradbury work, this is a seriously transcendent piece of literature, that had a disproportionate impact on my writing and critical faculties. It's not perfect, certainly, int its elements of Bradbury's usual flaws as a writer and in its occasional sledgehammer subtlety yet... that's to request something of the book which it is not, which is surely bad criticism. This is wonderful. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I hadn’t known this before I started reading it, but The Martian Chronicles is sort of a cross between an anthology and a novel. It’s a series of related short stories, told in sequential order and more-or-less forming a larger novel-like picture when read together. Each story focuses on different characters for the most part, but there are a few characters who show up and/or get mentioned in more than one story. Most of it is set on Mars, a populated planet that, in the beginning, hasn’t yet had contact with Earth.

The book starts off with some of the weirdest first contact stories I’ve ever encountered. At this point, I was really enjoying the book. It was a little disturbing, a little creepy, and at one point very funny. (I guffawed when the second expedition ended up in a Martian insane asylum. Then it went back toward the side of disturbing when they were all shot.)

Once we got past the first contact stories, things didn’t feel as unique or interesting to me and I started to lose interest, although there were a few stories that did capture my interest again. That’s hardly Bradbury’s fault, since I’m sure his stories were all new and fresh when they were first published, but that was my reaction. As is common in the older science fiction classics, this one paints a very bleak view of humanity and almost all the characters seemed a bit bizarre to me.

There was one thing that didn’t make sense to me at all, which I’ll have to put in spoiler tags: I didn’t understand why all the humans who had colonized Mars rushed back to Earth when it was clear Earth was about to destroy itself in a war, even to the point of taking all their children with them. I would expect the opposite to happen – for people on Mars to be glad they’d gotten off Earth while they could and to stay right where they were. If it had been me, I might have tried to get nearly-empty rockets sent back to Earth to rescue loved ones and others, but I wouldn’t have gone back myself to die with them. Especially if most of my family was already on Mars with me, which seemed to be the case with many of the people by that point.

So this was an interesting book, and I really liked some parts of it, but other parts didn’t hold my attention as well. I’m going to give it 3.5 stars and round down to 3 on Goodreads. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Oct 6, 2018 |
There many things I like about this book and there many things I dislike. I believe I like the vignette format and I like Ray Bradbury's writing but the lack of faith in humanity bothers me. Some of it is very beautiful and some of it is very disappointing. Since women seem to not have characters in this future, the portrayal of women contributes to my unshakeable dissatisfaction. Four stars anyway... When it works it works. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
I’m not sure if this was a re-read or not, if I read it before, it must have been 30 or 40 years ago and I have no recollection of the book at all. I doubt I would have appreciated the book at all if I had read it.

Entitled The Martian Chronicles, it follows the events of the first humans to reach Mars and the consequences of that event. The title suggests a continuous story, but in fact the book is a series of linked short stories and vignettes that follow in chronological order after the first man lands on Mars. With two exceptions, the entire sequence is set on Mars; both are set on Earth, the first deals with the entire African-American population emigrating to Mars, the second is set after WWIII and is about a robotic house. The first is the most overtly racist story in the collection; and is the only story to deal with non-white humans. Admittedly, the collection was first published in 1951, but that story left a bad taste in my mouth.

What struck me was that the reaching of Mars and it’s subsequent colonisation was a thinly-disguised colonisation of the Americas, along with 99.99% of the Martian population succumbing fatally to chickenpox. I couldn’t tell whether the stories were satirising small town America or not; the colonists and explorers all seemed to bring that mentality with them. Part of this may have been the Cold War background in which the book was written (the last stories deal with WWIII).

Read the book for the wonderful language if you can tolerate the 1950s attitudes. Women are domestic ornaments, non-whites just don’t feature apart from that one story, and the Martians stand in for Native Americans.
2 vote Maddz | Sep 22, 2018 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
They blended religion and art and science because, at base, science is no more than an investigation of a miracle we can never explain, and art is an interpretation of that miracle.
They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressures; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,763,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible