The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (original 1950; edition 2008)

by Ray Bradbury

10,516194271 (4.04)432
Member:isabelx
Title:The Martian Chronicles
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Harper Voyager (2008), Edition: (Reissue), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:sf, short stories, Mars, cover - blue, re-read month - 2013/01

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (kelliente)

English (174)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (193)
I'd read this book before, when I was a kid, and loved it (as had most of the people in the book group.) We decided we'd all like to re-read it. However, the edition I got in the mail was definitely missing at least two of the segments. (Ones I remember MOST CLEARLY and liked the most: "Night Call, Collect," and "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed.") I suppose it is possible that I read them in other Bradbury collections, and just mushed them into The Martian Chronicles in my head, since they fit in perfectly... But I was very disappointed by that.
Other than that however, the book completely lived up to my memories of it - which is unusual. Bradbury's prose is simple and lucid, yet his images are both dreamlike and powerful. The book is in the format of a series of short stories, strung together by even shorter interludes, forming a history of Man's expeditions to and colonization of Mars (starting in 1999!) The writing dates from the 1940s and 1950s, and one can tell. The gender and race relations, and some other elements that Bradbury harshly criticizes through this work are very clearly from this era, and although the portrayal of submissive housewives (and men who explore, women who come later and decorate homes and cook) may rub some the wrong way (although Bradbury is somewhat critical of this, and his women are smarter than their men might give them credit for), what truly comes as a shock is when one realizes, reading the part of the book where a mass emigration of African-Americans occurs, that when Bradbury wrote it, black Americans were still mostly servants, and lynchings were common. This made me feel that maybe our society has progressed.... but then, reading the parts of the book where Bradbury shows space explorers using gorgeous Martian ruins for target practice, and when he says, "We Earth Men have a talent for ruining big, beautiful things" - I realize that maybe we haven't changed that much after all.
Sigh.
I had forgotten that one of my favorite stories from when I was a kid, "There Will Come Soft Rains," was in this collection. (It doesn't take place on Mars, and it's been published in many other anthologies.) Still an incredibly powerful piece, and a wonderful collection of Bradbury's writing.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I loved this book. Each tale had its own melancholy. Mars was perhaps too believable but its destiny was also disappointingly believable. A bleak vision, beautifully written. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
Stunning and original when it first came out, this book took us to another planet where almost anything could happen. "There will come soft rains" is my favorite. A series of stories loosely woven together. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was an amazing book that I wish I'd read long ago. It is written in several short stories that end up fitting together for a full novel (still only 180 pgs long). The story is about the future of our Earth, people moving to Mars to get away from the Earth's ills, and, since people are always going to be people, so there's no getting away from that! I was so impressed with Bradbury's writing this in 1946 and giving us an idea of what he thought was going to happen in the future. It is set from 1999 to 2026, which is basically -- now. Of course, it's a lot different than what's actually happening now. In some ways he has advanced on us (rockets, easy space travel) and in other ways we have advanced on him (personal computers, social communication). Anyway, I've read some Bradbury that I wasn't crazy about, but I really liked this one and would highly recommend it! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible