The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (original 1950; edition 2008)

by Ray Bradbury

Member:isabelx
Title:The Martian Chronicles
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:sf, short stories, Mars, cover - blue, re-read month - 2013/01

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.

English (152)  Spanish (5)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (168)
The Martian Chronicles

Ray Bradbury’s recent passing created an opportunity to reread some of his stories and novels. No, I don’t like all that Bradbury wrote, but his whimsical, lyrical style always attracted me. He could create a world of “Firemen” in Fahrenheit 451 or the mysterious characters of “The Illustrated Man” and leave me entranced.

The Martian Chronicles was no exception!

First Impressions:

The book itself is a loosely-knit series of short stories, one leading to the next, in date order in the writer’s 21st century future. Here we have Earth that is looking towards Mars as a haven from the brewing atomic wars and rumors of such. What impressed me was the stylized characters and fleshed-out civilizations and how both Martian and Earthman deal with each other, as well as their own jealousies and prejudices.

Stories!

I won’t bore the reader with a mini-review of each tale, but the few that I really liked involved some of the crazy characters – one an off-kilter man, Spender, part of a crew from the Fourth Expedition, who didn’t want to see Mars commercialized as he looked upon the dead Martian civilization (destroyed by Man’s diseases – holy War of the Worlds!) and decides to kill off his own men and keep the planet pristine! That plan does not go over well with Captain Wilder. The darkness of the story and its clear criticism of colonialism were enticing to me.

The other story I really liked involved the last colonists on Mars (the rest being called back to Earth because of atomic war) who missed the last rocket, and gets lonely. Far off, he hears a phone ring. He finally finds who rang it, hoping for some female company, but the guy isn’t so lonely that he does not have standards!

Finally, the tale of a Martian and an Earth worker, both going to a party driving in their respective vehicles and meet each other on a lonely road – 10,000 years apart! Crazy.

Bottom Line: Most of the stories flow well one to the other. Ray does reflect some of the 1940s’ style prejudices of the time which may put off modern readers, but if you read Ray’s poetic style in its historic context, you too will see that a lot of his criticism and satire is still quite relevant.

Highly recommended!
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
It's easy to forget how Bradbury is such a poet with his writing, but this book brought it all back. Honestly, I cared little for the stories, but the words themselves were beautiful. Also, is it just me or are Bradbury's stories some of the saddest stories ever written? ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
I have read Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Martian Chronicles" several times in the past, and one of the reasons I wanted to take the science fiction/fantasy class was to re-read the latter novel. While the class prof sees hope for the human race in the final chapter of this composite novel, I see no such thing. For all that the Earthlings try to make their break with their past, I think Earthling-ness is hard-wired into us. As long as we exist, a certain percentage of us will fear the unknown and try to beat it into a senseless pulp. Read the rest of this review: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-decide-earthling-is-earthling-even-i... ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Jul 31, 2014 |
I've never read Bradbury prior to picking up this book for a class. Very intriguing stuff, and I'll definitely read more of his work if I get the chance. It makes for some great comparisons/discussions on imperialism, colonization and all that good stuff, while also immersing you in a completely new world. One of my favorite chapters was "There Will Come Soft Rains," in which an abandoned house on Earth continues its daily routine of making food, cleaning the house, alerting its (former) occupants of the time and events, etc. Only towards the end do we see the silhouettes of the occupants as the only remaining paint on the side of the house; everything else has been seared away. An interesting look at what Earth could become, and the role that Mars or any other planet may play. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
Reading this book left me with a bitter taste of sadness, for some reason. The successive (and relatively short) chapters didn't prepare me for the way the narrative was going to end - it is a great skill indeed to go from one chapter to chapter, expecting and hoping for things to end up well, and then finish with an anticlimactic ending. Martians are *humans* in character and way of life - they don't welcome alien (human) colonial endeavours because it disturbs ordinary life. From chapter to chapter, successive attempts at bringing in humans succeed, at great cost - the disappearance of alien civilization. But humans do not change their ways, either on Earth or Mars, which will ultimately be the reason behind their downfall. This book is easy to read, very short but still conveys great feelings and thoughts about humanity. The utopian dream of a human colony ends up a failure, which is sad. I recommend this book even to those who don't like science-fiction, as it doesn't feel like science-fiction. ( )
  soniaandree | Jun 16, 2014 |

Watson;, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:56 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible