A Night Without Armor: Poems by Jewel

A Night Without Armor: Poems (1998)

by Jewel

I loved this book! It is hilarious. Here's my favorite line: "Can you imagine how quiet a plane crash would be if you were deaf?" Lolzers, Jewel. What else would be quiet if you were deaf? *folds hands under chin*

In case you were wondering, this was the second selection for our short-lived Very Bad Book Club. I was the only person motivated enough to actually read it, tragically. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
The book A Night Without Armor by Jewel was and nice easy read. Although it had some pretty deep parts it was still good. It was made up of all poems. Throughout the book it seemed like it was a little girl going through life and the struggles and obstacles that she faces. The only thing I didn't like about the book was when you read one poem and want to keep learning more about that experience, you had to move on to another. Other than that the book was very well written.
  br13jaso | Mar 11, 2013 |
A Night Without Armor was beautify written. Although this book was written in all poems it shared a story. The true story was like a beat ( )
  ctmserpr | Dec 21, 2011 |
She's not a great poet. I think she's a better singer, but she has some pretty good lines in this book. ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
A Night Without Armor is was a New York Times Bestsellar. I love the simplicity, yet, honest emotion of Jewels Poems.
  macee | Jul 30, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to
the One in Whom we live and move and have our being
to my parents, Nedra Carroll and Atz Kilcher
to my brothers Shane, Atz, and Nikos
and to the land which inspires my heart to sing, Alaska
Preface: "Some people react physically to the magic of poetry, to the moments, that is, of authentic revelation, of the communication, the sharing, at its highest level...A good poem is a contribution to reality."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061073628, Paperback)

Singer/songwriter Jewel Kilcher has been writing since she was a child. In this 87-poem collection, she reveals herself as an accomplished free-verse poet, alternately witty and serious, writing about true love, second thoughts, and broken relationships. Some of her poems are postcards from her travels, describing scenes and the people she meets in Las Vegas; Seattle; Taipei, Taiwan; and Hawaii. She also writes about Alaska, and it's evident in her voice that she misses the place where she was raised. The most poignant pieces are the ones about personal loneliness in the midst of popular acclaim, as in "Taipei 2": "I am told I am adored by millions--but no one calls." A must for every Jewel fan, this collection is especially rich in what Jewel calls "songs for love lost and love yet to come." Listen to Jewel read "As a Child I Walked." Visit our audio help page for more information. (Running time: 70 minutes, 1 CD) --C.B. Delaney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:27 -0400)

I've learned that not all poetry lends itself to music--some thoughts need to be sung only against the silence. These are softer and less tangible parts of ourselves that are so essential to peace, to open-heartedness, to unfolding the vision and the spiritual realm of our lives, to exposing our souls. -- Jewel from the Preface Jewel has been writing poems and keeping journals since childhood. A Night Without Armor, her first collection of poetry, explores the fire of first love, the fading of passion, the giving of trust, the lessons of betrayal, and the healing of intimacy. She delves into matters of the home, the comfort of family, the beauty of Alaska, and the dislocation of divorce. And then there are the images of the road, the people, the bars, the planes, places exotic and mundane, loneliness and friendship. Frank and honest, serious and suddenly playful, A Night Without Armor is a talented artist's intimate portrait of what makes us uniquely human.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,654,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible