To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn

To Sir Phillip, With Love

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons (Eloise, 5)

So funny loved the main characters they were so relatable and I felt like they worked so well together. I hope I can read this again if was so entertaining and fun. I never felt like I had to force myself to read it. ( )
  cupcakeclark | Jul 2, 2019 |
And now we come to Eloise's story. I must admit I was pretty excited for To Sir Phillip, With Love. Julia Quinn has given her audience a small look into Eloise's life. I couldn't wait to see what the author had in store for this bold heroine.

I was lucky enough to listen to this book on audio, which I think I prefer. The estimable Rosalyn Landor is back narrating and as always does a phenomenal job.

I'm not going to lie or gloss over anything. This book deals with some serious issues: suicide and child abuse the main ones. I know this can be a sensitive issue for some people, so I wanted to put that out there right off the bat.

It starts with a letter. After Sir Phillip's wife dies, he receives a letter from a distant cousin of hers: Eloise Bridgerton. Eloise, who is very proficient in her correspondence, is exactly what Sir Phillip needs. After a year of exchanging letters he invites her to stay at his house to see if they'd suit as man and wife. What he didn't expect is for Eloise to show up on his doorstep unannounced and unchaperoned.

Eloise has always been independent, but she acted rather impulsively when she takes off in the middle of the night to stay with a man she's never met. But when she arrives at his house, she wonders if she's made a grave mistake. Not to mention his unruly children, who are no match for the woman who grew up surrounded by her numerous brothers and sisters. But can she gain their favor?

I'm not sure who I pictured would be the perfect mate for Eloise, but I'm sure I didn't imagine anyone like Sir Philip. He and Eloise are very much opposites. This book had a darker feel than the rest and definitely dealt with some major issues. Overall, I did like the story. I like that it dealt with the aftermath of suicide and the lasting effects it can have on loved ones. I also liked that it dealt with the healing process as well.

To Sir Phillip, With Love is a little bit deeper than the rest of the books, so far, in this series. Please don't let that scare you away. There's still plenty of steaminess to go around.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2018/02/audiobook-review-to-sir-phillip-with.ht... ( )
  mt256 | Aug 4, 2018 |
To Sir Phillip, With Love
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Following the death of his wife, Sir Philip Crane decides that his children need a new mother and begins a correspondence with Eloise Bridgerton. Eloise never thought to marry until Phillip makes the suggestion in one of his letters and before she knows it, she is on her way to visit him. While Phillip is expecting a middle-aged spinster, Eloise believes she will find a scholarly gentleman, and both are surprised by reality and by the passion that they bring out in each other. Can these two imperfect people find a perfect love?

Review:
This series is fantastic and Julia Quinn is fast becoming my go-to historical romance author. Sir Phillip is a heartwarming story that takes on some darker issues than the previous books, such as depression and child abuse.

Phillip and Eloise are a great couple. He is so tortured yet so sexy and it is impossible not to feel for him. Eloise definitely knows her own mind and has no compunction expressing it. She bulldozers right over everyone, including her overbearing brothers, and it very entertaining to see Phillip's struggle to cope with someone so different from his late wife.

Eloise's interactions with Phillip's twins and the special special appearances by the Bridgerton brothers are simply hilarious and add a humorous dimension to a plot that has its darker moments.

As always, the writing is intelligent and witty, and while this is not my favorite book in the series, it is very enjoyable and I hope that the rest of the series continues the trend.

Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I love everything about this series. The Bridgertons are my favorite family.

This time, it's Eloise's story. You remember her, quietly in the background, or not, as she talks ALL. THE. TIME. But she's lovely, smart, and opinionated. She's a spinster at the ripe old age of 28, and now that her dearest friend Penelope is hitched to Colin, she is feeling her age. But worry not--the clandestine behavior from book 4 all comes out here.

It's a love match, as you would expect. I do miss Lady Whistledown, though. She was cheeky and fun. I liked the twist of instant motherhood, and no one would do it better than Eloise. Good stuff, as usual. On to book 6! ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Eloise Bridgerton is rather pushy for my taste for a heroine, but still I enjoyed the book, as for Sir Phillip Crane he seems handsome but I am not sure I am so much into him, I laughed a great deal when her four brothers came bargaining in! It was the highlight for me in this book. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lingsminat, Petrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rengal, Arnaud duTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Stefanie and Randall Hargreaves-- You opened your home, you showed us your town, you stored our stuff, and when we arrived, you had a care package waiting on the porch.
And when I really needed someone, I knew exactly who to call.
And also for Paul, this time Because. It's always really Because.
It was ironic, really, that it had happened on such a sunny day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380820854, Mass Market Paperback)

Sir Phillip knew that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he'd proposed, figuring that she'd be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except . . . she wasn't. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and when she stopped talking long enough to close her mouth, all he wanted to do was kiss her . . . and more.

Did he think she was mad? Eloise Bridgerton couldn't marry a man she had never met! But then she started thinking . . . and wondering . . . and before she knew it, she was in a hired carriage in the middle of the night, on her way to meet the man she hoped might be her perfect match. Except . . . he wasn't. Her perfect husband wouldn't be so moody and ill-mannered, and while Phillip was certainly handsome, he was a large brute of a man, rough and rugged, and totally unlike the London gentlemen vying for her hand. But when he smiled . . . and when he kissed her . . . the rest of the world simply fell away, and she couldn't help but wonder . . . could this imperfect man be perfect for her?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

Assuming that his long-time correspondent, Eloise Bridgerton, is a homely, quiet, unassuming spinster sho would be desperate for an offer of marriage, Sir Phillip proposes through the mail, never expecting to discover that his prospective fiancee is a stunningly beautiful young woman who is the toast of London.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,507,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible