O Is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton

"O" Is for Outlaw (edition 2001)

by Sue Grafton

Member:comfy_corner
Title:"O" Is for Outlaw
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 354 pages
Tags:Grafton - The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mystery BOOK O

O Is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (37)
BOTTOM-LINE:
Pretty good story, could have been a contender.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Kinsey gets a blast from the past from her ex-husband, Mickey Magruder.
WHAT I LIKED:
Kinsey finds out that when she walked out of their marriage thinking he was guilty of murder/manslaughter, he actually had an alibi that he didn't reveal. He was never convicted, and in the years since, they've had no contact. It's interesting to see her work through a sense of guilt and a desire to know the real truth. Before she finds him, someone shoots him on the street and he's in a coma. Soon she's wearing his leather jacket and hunting down his shooter. The story is solid but does jump around quite a bit to get to the final bit.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The solution is a bit "out there" for pieces tying together, and like a couple of the previous books, feels a little unfair to the reader. Not as bad as previous, however.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 10, 2019 |
In this novel in the series, we learn about Knisey's first marriage to Mickey Magruder. She met him when she was a young police officer and he was a season veteran. She left him when he was accused of beating a man to death after which Magruder's life seemed to go down hill. Now 14 years later, Magruder is mysteriously shot and Kinsey tries to find out who and why did it.

Her search leads her to realize that Mickey Magruder was innocent of the killing she had believed him guilty of. She must also figure out who shot him which leads her back into the Vietnam War and a murder that happened there when a soldier pushed another wounded soldier out of medivac helicopter. ( )
  lamour | Aug 14, 2018 |
The descriptive writing is the best part. The plot is not as silly as the M and N, but the character seems to become less able, smart, and experienced with each novel. Grafton tries to blame it on Kinsey's personal history, but that is a stretch. How many times she explains her not having a weapon handy by saying she does mostly boring work and most PIs don't need one? Fine. But if you are knowingly dealing with dangerous people, and you have been chased and shot before, maybe having one handy might make sense, even if it means you can't have her face some extra danger to help the plot along.

I can also understand not working with the police when they are incompetent or criminal themselves; but here she does it because she can. As much as I like the characters, this is disappointing. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
I took a long hiatus before reading this book which is probably good. There were a lot of little things that were starting to bug me about this series. They didn't seem to bug me as much in this one. I enjoyed it. Although somewhat predictable and there was one spot I totally didn't buy. Still a old summer read. You know what you are getting when you pick up a Grafton. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I love the world of Kinsey Millhone because it's so simple. Or not. She unravels mysteries without Google or cell phones. And it's a good ride! ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR MY GRANDDAUGHTER, KINSEY,
with a heart full of love
The Latin term pro bono, as most attorneys will attest, roughly translated means for boneheads and applies to work done without charge.
ISBN 0330457861 is for the Omnibus 2-in-1: O Is for Outlaw and P Is for Peril.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449003787, Mass Market Paperback)

Wise-cracking, staunchly independent, and chronically curious, Grafton's gritty gumshoe Kinsey Millhone is back. This time, the alphabet series star will take on the toughest case to date: her past. What begins as a random phone call from a "storage space scavenger" (someone who buys the contents of defaulted storage units) leads Kinsey to a box of old papers and personal effects that her ex-husband, Mickey Magruder, left behind. Inside, she finds a 15-year-old unsent letter from a bartender that, among other things, reveals her former hubby was having an affair. The letter also contains details about the murder of a transient--a crime for which Mickey was blamed. Although never convicted, Mickey was ruined--losing his job, wife, and friends. But 15 years later, Kinsey realizes that foul play may have been involved in the murder, a deadly temptation for her.

Die-hard fans will especially enjoy Kinsey's self-disclosure--something she's infamous for not doing--about her childhood, the fate of her parents, and the randy details of her first marriage. A very vulnerable and interesting side to Kinsey's character is also revealed when her obsessive-compulsive fact-finding bent is mixed up with matters of the heart.

A fast, fun read, O Is for Outlaw is packed with Grafton's clear, colorful imagery and signature metaphors: "Our recollection of the past is not simply distorted by our faulty perception of events remembered, but skewed by those forgotten. The memory is like orbiting twin stars, one visible, one dark, the trajectory of what's evident forever affected by the gravity of what's concealed." --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

PI Kinsey Millhone of California discovers an undelivered letter exonerating her first husband of beating a man to death, for which she left him. Kinsey goes after the real killer, a probe that takes her back to Vietnam War days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,220,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible