A Wizard Abroad by Diane Duane

A Wizard Abroad (1997)

by Diane Duane

Series: Young Wizards (4), Wizardry [Diane Duane] (4)

1,392None5,443 (3.84)17
children (8) children's (23) contemporary fantasy (7) diane duane (15) ebook (12) fantasy (316) fiction (129) hardcover (6) Ireland (44) magic (69) mythology (9) novel (12) own (10) owned (6) paperback (19) read (19) science fiction (24) series (37) sf (16) sff (18) to-read (15) unread (11) urban fantasy (17) wizardry (9) wizards (55) YA (81) YA Fantasy (10) young adult (90) young wizards (82) young wizards series (22)

Nita is sent to Ireland in this installment of the Young Wizards series. Concerned by her relationship with Kit, Nita's parents send her to visit her aunt in Ireland, not aware that her is a wizard as well and Ireland is about to experience some uniquely wizardly occurrences. Fun to read and I was particularly pleased to see Nita show some interest in a wizard who was not Kit! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 13, 2014 |
One of my favorites of the series - the level of responsibility and importance works for me. Kit and Nita are not the point wizards this time, merely contributing members in a large and complex intervention. Some personal development, in interesting and occasionally annoying directions. Also I love the descriptions of Ireland, "real" and beyond. The only New Millennium bit I noticed was one that _didn't_ get changed - Spot makes a "disk-thinking" noise, which amuses Nita because "she could see that both disks were empty". Wow. I remember laptops with two floppy drives... So maybe the New Millennium changes are worth while, or maybe I noticed it because it was the only bit left. Again, the timeline made sense, but I don't remember it not making sense before, so I'd have to do a comparison to see what if anything got changed here. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 17, 2013 |
More of the enjoyable same from Diane Duane. I particularly enjoyed seeing an American write a kids book about an american going to the UK - even though it was Ireland not England the viewpoint of endless cups of tea and small old-fashioned houses was amusing. I'm very torn on whether I'm enjoying watching all the myths and legends of the world (this time the fairies of Ireland) squeezed into the same mythology of the The Powers that Be, or whether it is a bit shoehorned and appropriative. But it is quite fun.

It's a story where actually Nita and Kit are very helpful, but are mostly helping a large group of grownups sort something out, rather than being the Brave Heroes Saving the Day. Which is unusual and interesting.

I must admit, I was very shocked to see Nita and someone other than Kit, but sort of pleased, too, at the avoiding of tropetastic One True Luv. ( )
  atreic | Mar 12, 2013 |
The fourth book in the series has Nita traveling across the ocean to Ireland, per her parents' request. They are nervous about how much time she has been spending with Kit and this wizarding stuff, and aren't even sure themselves which is more frightening to them. They think that by making her take a break, they can lessen the intensity of her new world; not realizing, of course, that the magic will follow her wherever she goes. Which is precisely what happens.

Soon after Nita arrives, she discovers that she is accidentally sliding between worlds, or dimensions, and that the fabric of space and reality is being pulled apart. Oh, and her aunt, who her parents asked to watch her to take her away from magic, is a wizard. Ireland is rife with wizards, in fact; the whole country is saturated in magic, which is partly why the Lone Power chose that place to try to force the ghosts of the past into the present and rewrite history. Nita becomes involved in a confrontation that impacts more people than she has ever worked with before, including Kit, who pops over to lend a hand, and Ronan, an attractive teenage Irish wizard.

This is the longest book in Duane's series thus far, and, unfortunately, the one I have liked least. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't compare as well to the first three entries in the series. The conflict is epic, involving hundreds of wizards dishing out some real battle magic that hasn't been seen in the series yet. I enjoyed that aspect of the story, but it took so long to get to that point. The book would have benefited by some condensing. I had the feeling that Duane was so enamored with Ireland that she felt the need to wax poetic about it and lingered there longer than necessary. After all, the previous story hopped across galaxies and landed on several fascinating planets, and was a much smaller length than this novel. Even Nita's romance with Ronan didn't keep me from wishing that the story was a little shorter (or maybe I was just surprised, since I was convinced that Nita and Kit were a sure thing). After reading it, I thought it was a good story with a great climax, but too drawn out to sustain tension. ( )
  nmhale | Sep 29, 2011 |

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feberwee, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen,CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the Point of a Weapon (that poureth forth combat),
I am the God who fashioneth Fire for a head.
Who is the troop, who is the God who fashioneth edges?
--Lebor Gabala Erenn,
tr. Macalister
Three signs of the Return:
the stranger in the door;
the friendless wizard;
the umitigated Sun.
Three signs of the Monomachy:
a smith without a forge;
a saint without a cell;
a day without a night.
--Book of Night with Moon,
triads 113, 598
For Lt. Col. Shaun "Johnny" O'Driscoll, USAF (ret)
Senior for Europe
Now reassigned to a larger catchment area
Nita first found out about what was going to happen when she came in after a long afternoon's wizardry with Kit.

To give Nita a vacation from magic, Nita's parents pack her off for a month-long stay with her eccentric aunt in Ireland. But Ireland is even more steeped in magical doings than the United States, and Nita soon finds herself and a host of Irish wizards battling creatures from a nightmare Ireland--a realm where humankind is the stuff of tales and storybooks, and where the legends and monsters of the country's mythology are a deadly reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:37 -0400)

Sent on vacation to her aunt's home in Ireland, teenage wizard Nita becomes entangled in a magic battle to save the country from the ghosts of its past.

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible