Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Ballet Shoes (1936)

by Noel Streatfeild

Series: Shoes (1)

Gemma by Noel Streatfeild (humouress)
    humouress: Another story about child actors and family.
    Gemma and Sisters by Noel Streatfeild (humouress)
    humouress: Another story about child actors and family
    Dancing Shoes by Noel Streatfeild (HollyMS)
    Listen to the Nightingale by Rumer Godden (bookel)
    The Whicharts by Noel Streatfeild (nessreader)
    nessreader: Ballet Shoes is the obvious read to complement the Whicharts, as they are the same story retold respectively for children (Ballet S) and adults (the Ws). The Whicharts, with sex, bastards and a downbeat ending, was written first. It's fascinating to compare them. Streatfeild also published adult books as Susan Scarlett; I recommend Murder While You Work, a romance set in a WW2 munitions factory… (more)
    Love to Everyone by Hilary McKay (shaunie)
    shaunie: McKay's writing style is very similar to Streatfeild's - wonderfully easy to digest!
    A Dream of Sadler's Wells by Lorna Hill (SylviaC)
    The little gymnast by Sheila Haigh (joririchardson)

English (53)  German (1)  All languages (54)
A surprising and wonderful book. It starts off slowly, appearing a whimsical but typical tale. There is an unusual realism in the story of three girls living on the edge of poverty with the adults responsible for them. The details of their lives learning theatrical arts raises this above the general run. Each girl longs for different things, and the adults must try to balance teaching them how to survive with encouraging their joy in life. There is the unexpected thread of a girl wanting nothing more than to learn about cars and planes, and there is a seriousness around financial responsibility that I haven't often seen in children's books of this vintage. But none of that says what a lovely and fascinating story it is. Very glad I stumbled across it. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Nov 5, 2018 |
The children in Noel Streatfeild's Ballet Shoes reminded me of the very ambitious Melendy family in the Melendy Quartet by Elizabeth Enright. Each child in both families has a special talent and the adults are super supportive of each and every endeavor. But, Streafeild has a twist to her story. The Fossil sisters in Ballet Shoes aren't sisters at all and they pursue their talents in order to avoid going into debt. Pauline, Petrova and Posy are all orphaned children adopted by kindhearted yet often absent fossil collector Great-Uncle Matthew (GUM, as he is affectionately known). While Gum is off on another expedition Pauline finds the theater, Posy is a natural at ballet and Petrova prefers aviation and motor cars to the stage but she does what she can. The "sisters" may be very different from one another but they share one important truth, their self-decided last name of Fossil. They create a vow to honor the name and renew that vow every year on each girl's birthday. It's a very cute story. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Dec 8, 2017 |
Sorry, but the movie with Emma Watson was better. I don't often say that - I can count on one hand how many books I've read where I feel similar - but maybe it's because it wasn't a true adaptation, and having fallen in love with the movie first, the book was just too different. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
I read this book because I saw the film. I really liked the movie and I wanted to read the originally story. I love ballet and dance and it was nice to read a book about it. And it was even nicer to read a book that had nothing to do with love and romance between child or teens.

Its an older story with an older style or writing, but it was heavy or hard to read like some books are. I really like the the three littler girls and I love their back stories and how they became to be sisters.

I really like reading stories about poor people overcoming their hardships and becoming something better. It's very moving and inspirational. I am really glad that there was a happy ending as well. The children deserved it. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |

Streatfeild, Noelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Floethe, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gervis, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goode, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sastre, ElizabethReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Fossil sisters lived in the Cromwell Road. At that end of it which is farthest away from the Brompton Road, and yet sufficiently near it to be taken to look at the dolls' houses in the Victoria and Albert every wet day, and if not too wet, expected to 'save the penny and walk.'

Pauline, Petrova, and Posy Fossil are three little orphan girls adopted as babies by the eccentric Matthew Brown, an archaeologist. He then disappears on an expedition, leaving them in the care of his niece Sylvia and a nanny. Sylvia Brown struggles financially and must take in boarders to support them all. So with the support of the entire household, the girls decide to go on the stage to earn fame and fortune.
A brief survey of the history and development of footwear. Examines the influence of shoes on tradition and legend; shows how shoe styles reveal much about their owners; and discusses the shoemaker and his trade.

In the tradition of Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Little Princess come Noel Streatfeild’s tales of triumph. In this story, three orphan girls vow to make a name for themselves and find their own special talents. With hard work, fame just may be in the stars! Originally published in 1937.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:33 -0400)

Determined to make a name for themselves, three adopted sisters living in London train for the ballet and the stage and in the process discover that each has a special talent.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141334428, 0141336501

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,436,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible