Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian…

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (2001)

by Brian Jacques

Series: Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (1)

1,1671810,619 (3.85)1 / 14

While the target audience is definitely pre-teen/tween, it was a fun story. Took a different direction than I expected — rather than really being about the Flying Dutchman, the Flying Dutchman was the setup for the characters and their unusual lives. The sections seemed like slightly-jagged puzzle pieces, which didn't fit together exactly right — but it was close enough. Fun and short. ( )
  schufman | Jul 20, 2019 |
Castaways Of The Flying Dutchman, by Brian Jacques
★★★ and 1/2

Synopsis: A boy and dog trapped aboard the legendary ship, the Flying Dutchman, are sent off on an eternal journey by an avenging angel, roaming the earth throughout the centuries in search of those in need. Their travels lead them to Chapelvale, a sleepy nineteenth century village whose very existence is at stake. Only by discovering the buried secrets and solving the dust-laden riddles of the ancient village can it be saved. This will take the will and wile of all the people-and a very special boy and dog!
In A Sentence: A fun read that's great for kids to enjoy.
What I Liked: This was a reread for me. The first time was way back when I was twelve and I loved it. Now as an adult I was still able to enjoy it, but not as much. I thought the main characters were really likeable, and I thought the plot was very fun with a feel-good ending.
What Was...Meh: I thought the treasure hunt was a little unbelievable as an adult. Why hide the deeds and titles for your land for four hundred years and make the clues and hunt so complicated, that your descendents can't find them? It just seemed a little unnecessary. Plus the translation of a clue from Latin to English rhymed, which bugged me a bit
In A Nutshell: This is a decent read. It's a warm, feel-good story that's great for kids ages 10-14. But it doesn't work so well for adults. I enjoyed it, and it made me feel nostalgic, but that was it. ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – A few day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Historically, throughout the world.

Written approximately? – 2001.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more. I'd enjoy all the stories alluded to between the second and third story in the novel.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: The first short story is a vivid dramatic tale that shares the fate of the Flying Dutchman ship. The second short story shares Ned and Den's first simple "case". They both learn what it's like to have someone care them, and learn the ways they can care for others. By the time the novella begins, an additional several hundred years have passed, and Ned and Den have changed their names for an unknown reason. Perhaps breaking with the fear of those early days. They have now learned how to help others learn to stand strong against bullies and stand on their own two feet.

Notes for the reader: This book is a setup of two short stories followed by a novella. In many ways, this novel reaches out and tells it like it is about bullies. I don't remember the exact page, or exact line. As the author says, 'ignoring the bully only goaded him on.' Standing tall, and believing in ourselves to keep our own towns and villages from being overrun is the overreaching theme of the novella. The short stories are more for fun and entertainment. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
Copied from copy-2. Substance: A young boy and a dog escape from the cursed 17th-century ship "The Flying Dutchman" because of their innocence of evil, but are doomed to wander the earth in eternal youth. After detailing the horrors of life on the ship and their dramatic escape, the second half of the book gives the story of their involvement in the riddles of a 19th century village.
Style: Dramatic and engaging, but the situations are definitely tailored for the junior reader. ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 15, 2014 |
This book was different than the other Brian Jacques books. It allowed us to get into a different world. ( )
  mwohlfrom | Feb 25, 2014 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenherr, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They sat facing one another across a table in the upper room of a drinking den known as the Barbary Shark.

Neb and his dog, Denmark, are castaways from the legendary ghost ship the Flying Dutchman, sent by an avenging angel to forever roam the earth in search of those in need. Now their perilous travels have led them to Chapelvale, a sleepy nineteenth-century village whose very existence is at stake. Only by discovering the buried secrets and solving the ancient riddles of the village can it be saved. This will take all the strength and courage of the villagers-and a very special boy and his dog...(0-14-250118-2)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501182, Paperback)

Fans of the Redwall series eager to sink their teeth into the latest adventure from Brian Jacques will be surprised to find that the cover of Castaways of the Flying Dutchman belies the contents of this fine mystery novel. A handsome young lad, sporting a billowing, ripped shirt, gazes off into the distance, while behind him a ship founders on an eerily tempestuous sea. It's true, the first (brief) section of the book does tell the tale of a stowaway orphan on the legendary, ill-fated ship, the Flying Dutchman. And that's as swashbuckling a story as they come. But as soon as the boy and his newly adopted dog are tossed into the sea during a ferocious storm, the book takes a sharp turn. Ben and his dog, Ned, given eternal life by a sympathetic angel, now set out to "bring confidence and sympathy, help others to change their fate." Two centuries later, they arrive in the village of Chapelvale, which is filled with quirky, affectionate citizens, who immediately welcome the mysterious but kindhearted and brave boy and his dog. The impending destruction of their village by the blustering, bloated Obadiah Smithers, an industrial speculator, propels Ben and his new friends into a thrilling search for a solution, involving ancient Byzantine gold chalices, mysterious coded messages, and some fierce tête-à-têtes with hired bullies. Illustrator Ian Schoenherr's intriguing line drawings at the beginning of each chapter hint at the upcoming clues to the mystery. Redwall fans be warned: you'll find no warrior mice here. But readers will find a satisfying story that never leaves a doubt as to the ability of good to triumph over evil. (Ages 9 to 12) -- Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

In 1620, a boy and his dog are rescued from the doomed ship, Flying Dutchman, by an angel who guides them in travelling the world, eternally helping those in great need.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,499,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible